Bed Bug Lovers Opposing Oppression and Death?

by nobugsonme on December 28, 2010 · 6 comments

in bed bugs

I first came across this video on YouTube last month.

The laughing, smiling young protesters are carrying signs with catchy pro-bed bug slogans and the name “BLOOD: Bed Bug Lovers Opposing Oppression and Death.”

They’re chanting,

Bite! Bite! Let them bite!
Killing bed bugs is not right!

(Click here if you can’t view the embedded video.)

Radical animal activists?
Media or advertising stunt?
Performance art?

For once, the internets are not offering up any explanations. The video appears to have been taken in New York City and was posted to YouTube on 11/15/2010.

Compared with my experience of picket lines and protests, the signs look too shiny, the protesters look too cheerful. My only thought is, “they had to pay these folks to do this.”

But if so, then who? And why?

Anyone know anything more about this?

Update (12/29):

I knew there had to be a logical commercial explanation.

One reader writes,

It was one of the commercial pest control firms at the Hotel Show at the Javits center. They were passing out flyers that said to visit their booth at the show. I can not remember the company name as it was new to me but it was not Ecolab, Orkin or Terminix.

Thanks to the anonymous reader who spotted this “demonstration” at the Hotel Show.

1 Doug Summers MS December 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Looks like performance art to me… way too happy to be activists.

The signs are too professional to be a group of volunteers.

2 CarpathianPeasant December 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Looks like a bunch of college kids to me.

It’s in front of something on a street corner and the something looks like it’s wrapped up — maybe a place being treated? Maybe some place they want to go and can’t because of the treatment?

3 jrbtnyc December 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Some things aren’t that complicated, as Doonesbury said recently 😀 .

4 JP McHale Pest Management Inc. December 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Woah, shocking. Has to be a viral stunt of some sort. I’m curious to see how the YouTube views look after a few days. This group has no website of any sort.

5 Winston O. Buggy December 29, 2010 at 9:38 am

“Bed Bugs Ate My Brain”
Just another example of the alien bed bug invaders and their parasitic mind control. Its the only logical reason for people and governments misguided and subverted actions in efforts to address this space invader. Similarly there have been law suits filed on behalf of disease transmiting mosquitoes with no attention to risk benifit anaylisis. Materials that could have prevented or at least reduced the impact of our Cimex suckers have long been removed from the arsenal by bad science, crusaders with self serving agendas and a very few misguided applications by unprofessional dim wits. Again bed bug mind control in action.

6 nobugsonme December 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm

And now all is revealed. Check out the update above.