Want to give the gift of bed bugs? Craigslist can help.

by nobugsonme on September 27, 2010 · 8 comments

in bed bugs, craigslist, legal aspects of bed bugs

We knew you could get bed bugs from Craigslist, but this is not what I was expecting.

Mela commented on this post:

Out of curiosity I searched Craig’s List for bed bugs and came across this which horrified me. I flagged it and encourage you all to do the same. It sickens me that people think this way.

The Craigslist post in question won’t be up long (I hope not, anyway; like Mela, I flagged it).

So here it is reproduced in all its horror:

Free Bed Bugs/ Good Sabotage, Revenge (Midtown)

Do you hate your roommate and are moving out? Leave a fantastic goodbye present. Nothing says ‘Eff You!’ like some BEDBUGS. I have bedbugs safely stored in jars for the perfect sabotage. Free of charge, will meet anywhere.

And here’s a screenshot:

Click here to view the photo close-up.

I know there are a lot of sick puppies out there, but please, people: don’t spread bed bugs on purpose.

It’s really messed up, and I’m pretty sure it’s against the law.

I don’t look on Craigslist much now for bed bug-related posts, but whenever I do, I find something horrific.

Thanks, Mela, for the tip.

1 Pete ny/nj September 28, 2010 at 7:21 am

This issue should be looked into by law enforcement. Clearly, there is an element of criminal intent here meant to cause psychological and monetary harm to a defenseless individual. Even worse, this issue could easily effect the victim’s neighbors as well. This is proof that the public is still not educated enough on this serious issue that could effect anyone.

2 Scott September 28, 2010 at 8:07 am

Agreed, this person should be placed under arrest for violating public safety. Unacceptable!

3 Susan September 28, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Does anyone know who is responsible for spraying for bedbugs in HUD housing, my 51 year sister is disabled and has been told it is her problem. Terminax charges $800.00 and she does not have that kind of money. Who do we call, I am helping her because she does not have a computer. Thank you!

4 Slides September 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Susan, sorry to hear about your sister’s problem. I don’t know the answer, but you might get more replies in the Forum.

Unless nobugsonme can provide some guidance.

5 nobugsonme September 28, 2010 at 10:11 pm

This article, about a case in Florida, cites HUD as saying that tenants in HUD housing do not pay for bed bug treatment. However, you might want to call HUD to verify this is still the case and that it applies to your sister’s building. A second article about HUD tenants in Ohio also implied treatment was provided for bed bugs.

6 Mark September 29, 2010 at 9:06 am

This is terrorism. The bugs will spread and affect not only the targeted person but others; but is it against the law? I hope so. If not, can we make it illegal?
And if it is, and deliberate spreading is a crime, what about spreading because a building owner does not take care of his property? Can that also not be a crime, like a guy with bad brakes killing someone being manslaughter?
And why are stores in Manhattan struck TWICE – AMC, Abercrombie & Fitch, Nike – all these had two or more outlets hit though they were miles apart. Is this some form of terrorism or blackmail or an attempt to hurt the share price and buy options? I mean, all 3 got hit TWICE…
maybe the guy on Craigslist?

7 nobugsonme September 29, 2010 at 11:03 am

Hi Mark,

As for landlords’ negligence, there’s a new lawsuit here which is relevant.

Re: chain stores, please see my response to your other comments along these lines in this thread.

8 dude October 5, 2010 at 4:49 pm