Bed Bug Summit in the news

by nobugsonme on September 21, 2010 · 11 comments

in bed bugs

Bed Bug Central’s North American Bed Bug Summit started today, and the news media has a new cimex-themed story to feed on.

Here’s a segment from The Today Show:

from what I read and hear, people in “foreign countries” are as surprised by the return of bed bugs in their area as those of us in North America, and as unwilling to just put up with them.

Bed bugs may be “springing back” here and everywhere, but the evidence is they never entirely went away.

And here’s another from MSNBC:

Note: “checking” your luggage is not an easy matter. If you rely on a visual inspection alone, you may later be surprised to find you brought bed bugs home. For more advice, try the Travel FAQs.

One of the vendors MSNBC mentions is
Insect inferno. I do not know much about this product (beyond what’s on their website), but I am intrigued.

1 kirads09 September 21, 2010 at 3:37 pm

That Insect Inferno is too cool! I hope it (or something very similar) becomes widely and affordably available soon!!

2 nobugsonme September 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hi kirads!

If by “affordable,” you mean to the consumer, I doubt this would be the product. I have enquired about the pricing and will let you know.

3 parakeets September 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Why was Meridith Viera laughing about the bugs? I’m tired of people thinking there is something funny about bed bugs, like it is a bit of levity in the news.

4 nobugsonme September 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

The NY Times has a decent piece on the event also.

5 bugbitcha September 22, 2010 at 2:07 am

My response exactly, parakeets! Why were any of them laughing…they have never had bedbugs, thats why. Hated the guy interviewing the people at the summit, sort of making fun of the products. Of course, the guy wearing the bedbug hat sort of made it hard to take him seriously…

6 spideyjg September 22, 2010 at 10:18 am

The Insect Inferno looks great but watch Therma Pure sue them for patent infringment and shut down a useful tool.

7 nobugsonme September 22, 2010 at 10:52 am

In fact, The Insect Inferno costs $25-40k.

Sue Westrum of Insect Inferno, Inc. answered my questions via email and gave me permission to post her response below.

Good Morning!

Thanks for your questions.

We definitely have companies that own our product; unfortunately as far as giving you a list of them I have a confidentiality agreement with most. I’m sure you understand that places such as hospitals and hotels don’t want to be associated with having a product to eliminate bed bugs and their eggs.

We do have 5-6 currently in circulation, including using it in our own pest control company.

The cost varies of course because we have different size trailers, but they can cost anywhere between 25,000.00 – 40,000.00.

I saw on your website that someone had asked about the availability to the consumer. We are mostly selling these directly to Pest Control companies to use in addition to their in home treatment. When using the Insect Inferno to heat treat beds, couches, tables and all upholstered furniture we are keeping homeowners from having to throw away household items, which can be very costly.

If you have any others questions, please contact me.

Thanks again
Corey and Sue Westrum
Insect Inferno, Inc.

8 Ci Lecto September 25, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I’m thrilled at the Inferno, too. A PackTite on wheels or a cross between a U Haul and the Vancouver Bed Bug Sauna. What I really appreciate about this is that it underscores what I believe: The science and technology we need to fight BB already exists. What it takes is for people to recognize that we have a problem and for people to take the risk/put up the cash and efforts to “integrate” the solutions and bring them to market. Some people may scoff at how elementary a device like PackTite is, but consider the work it takes to make sure that it works safely and consistency and to ensure that your factories are churning out an adequate (but not excess) supply.

In other words, to a great extent, bed bugs is a marketing challenge.

9 nobugsonme September 26, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I agree, Ci. The technology is there, and it needs to be brought to the people.

Not only do businesspeople need to bring it to the masses (and will not doubt make a bundle in the process), but the government and non-profits need to bring it to those who can’t pay.

Why isn’t some savvy businessperson convincing mattress and furniture firms to buy heated trucks?!? It’s hard to believe we can’t name one firm that guarantees you won’t get bed bugs in the shipment. They’re still bragging they remove your old bed. People shelling out $400 for a new bed will pay a bit more to know it doesn’t have bed bugs.

10 spideyjg October 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Those Thermapure lawyers in pinstripe Tyvek suits would hunt them down.

Serious note just to build a widget for pest eradication requires extensive licensing.
In CA you cannot do it unless you own a pest control firm.

{ 1 trackback }