New York City Bed Bug Advisory Board report

by nobugsonme on July 28, 2010 · 17 comments

in bed bugs, new york city

Here is the long awaited New York City Bed Bug Advisory Board report (PDF).  We told you a bit about it yesterday.

Most of the actual press so far today (for example, from the Wall Street Journal) came out in advance of the actual press conference.

We await more coverage and — if any of you were lucky enough to be there — your impressions?

Update (later on 7/28):

NY1 has some nice footage of the press conference, including Council Member Gail Brewer announcing that many of the mayor’s friends have bed bugs. (Now we know why he’s finally taking action!)

City Room, Crains, and other sources note that $500K in funding has been provided for the bed bug portal and other ideas to be implemented.

Check out NPR’s spot on today’s events, and the spread of bed bugs in the US:

1 bb_gave_me_ocd July 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Tons of news lately…I see that the NPMA released a global survey of PCOs on bedbugs. I’ve found articles like this (http://it.tmcnet.com/news/2010/07/26/4919972.htm) on many sites but I have yet to find the whole survey. Anyone find it?

Thanks for your continued great work, nobugs.

2 bugbitcha July 29, 2010 at 7:03 am

I was pleasantly surprised to hear the NPR report yesterday. Did not love the “light-hearted” approach so much. But I guess anyone who has done the battle of the bedbug thinks that bedbugs are serious and deserve serious coverage. I’m glad that this is beginning to hit mainstream media, and that the city is finally taking notice. I’m hoping my sense of humor will return after I invite one of the bedbug sniffing dogs into my home and I am declared “bedbug free”… for the moment, anyway. So tired of living out of plastic.

3 Ken July 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

Well, the exterminators arrived today…and I felt like I was in a prison camp…
maybe it had something to do with the swastika on the door one down from me; the guy who lives there is Jewish. The management does not bother to even paint over it. Nor do they paint over the thousands of cracks I have been complaining about for months.
But they did get the exterminators around, two guys screaming at me to take everything out of my room, which is not practical. In the end they got rather nasty, especially when I asked about whether their company, Superb Pest Control, was registered. OK, don’t want to leave a long comment, so for anyone to see it’s up at http://www.bugoutter.blogspot.com
On one point I am confused – has a bedug czar been appointed or is this still to happen? I would very much like to contact him/her and give them the lowdown on this place.

4 Wenona July 30, 2010 at 11:42 am

My husband works in pest control here in Michigan and has tons of bedbug jobs yet the news hasn’t covered it all around here. I found one tiny article where the Flint Job corp dorms were said to have bedbugs.

In truth homes, apartment complexes and other places around MI are infested with bed bugs. A friend of ours just realized their house was infested and it turns out their son brought them home from a friend’s house- the day he left their house they were getting treated for bedbugs by an exterminator- yet they let a kid stay with them??? And then take home bedbugs spreading the infestation, how stupid is that?

Anyway bedbugs are a major problem and normal pest control products, sprays powders, etc don’t seem to be working. It involves a lot of time intensive work including vaccuming and steaming.

What a mess!

I just pray my husband doesn’t bring home any of these nasty critters from work.

5 Ken July 31, 2010 at 11:29 am

Wow! So no one is talking in Michigan, which by many accounts, is infested with these critters. And no one seems to want to talk in NY either, just let the mayor take our money and give it to someone to do a website. Hey Bloomberg, we got websites, we need action.
Yesterday someone went to Beth Israel ER with bites, and showed the doctors a bottle of 3500 bugs…the nurse claimed she needed a microscope to see them – they are quite visible to anyone who has sight – and the doctor treated the hundreds of bites, many of them in the 2/3 in a row classic bedbug trademark, as if it was a wasp or bee sting….told the guy to stay off the grass or some such nonsense. Is there a political agenda to allow this to happen while politicians all invest in exterminator companies which are worthless?
BTW, the above comment I am pinching and giving to the bugoutter blog to put up…hope no one minds the plagiarism, but if the NYT and the Post can do it, why not the rest of us? At least the source will be cited!

6 momof3 August 1, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Now that the major is finally on board in doing something it needs to be addressed quickly. It’s August 1st and the “Back to School” adds are flying out in mass numbers.
There needs to be mass public warning, commercial warnings and education to the public before the school year starts. If not, things are going to get much worse and more difficult for many. (yet again….)

7 nobugsonme August 2, 2010 at 8:24 am

bb_gave_me_ocd – I am still looking for the full report.

8 nobugsonme August 2, 2010 at 8:25 am

Wenona,

Michigan now has a Michigan Manual for the Prevention and Control of Bed Bugs, developed by the Michigan Department of Community Health and the Michigan Bed Bug Working Group. (See this post for links.) Hopefully the fact that these bodies are taking action will mean more people begin talking about bed bugs there.

9 nobugsonme August 2, 2010 at 8:26 am

Ken – Lots of people seem to be pooh-poohing the idea of bed bug education (emphasized by the Bed Bug Advisory Board’s plan, and demonstrated in the publication of the Michigan manual). You have to remember how crucial spreading good information about bed bugs is. It makes a huge difference and we’re nowhere without it.

10 nobugsonme August 2, 2010 at 8:26 am

Also, Ken – you are not allowed to copy content of this site and post it to your blog without explicit permission, unless it is in the form of a quote which is clearly marked as such and which links back to the original.

Please note this passage in the Terms and Conditions of site use:

All materials found at the domain bedbugger.com (formerly bedbugger.wordpress.com) is copyrighted by the owner of this site, Nobugsonme. Exceptions will be clearly stated. Ownership of any individual blog posting or comment belongs to the stated author of that posting or comment, unless otherwise noted.

All rights reserved. Republication in any media by permission only. Quoting our site (with proper attribution and a link to us) is always welcomed. If you leave a comment, we might quote you (with attribution) too!

You can link back to someone’s comment here (in order to quote from and attribute it) by clicking the little number to the top right of each comment, and copying that permalink.

11 nobugsonme August 2, 2010 at 8:28 am

momof3,

While I expect the city is going to do what they can as quickly as possible, there may be a limit to how fast they can implement these recommendations.

12 Ken August 2, 2010 at 8:52 am

OK, I went to http://www.bugoutter.blogspot.com and cut/pasted the URL so it does link,
note that I had linked to bedbugger and gave this due credit in the text from the start…
but this way is easier for our readers so I am happy to highlight any quotes from this site.

I have one paper interested in the story, but not sure they will like what they see in the building! Send any my way if you want, print, telly or radio, let’s get the word out now.

13 nobugsonme August 2, 2010 at 9:05 am

Ken,

Thanks for linking directly to Wenona’s comment. It is appropriate that Wenona, not the blog, should get credit for her contribution.

I would encourage you to post on the Bedbugger Forums, Ken. Readers of the blog (this side of the website) are probably having trouble following your updates, since they appear on various articles (which also means they are often off-topic for the particular post). If you start a thread on our active user Forums, you will be able to keep all of your updates in one place, so people can follow your story.

14 nobugsonme August 3, 2010 at 3:16 am

Test!

15 bb_gave_me_ocd August 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

OK, thanks again for everything!

16 Pest Control New York City August 16, 2010 at 10:57 am

I really think it is a terrible problem that people are having with bed bugs. I hope that we can get this under control and stop them from growing so much in our homes and everywhere. They are so annoying and really can be a pain in the rear to get rid of.

{ 1 trackback }