Bed bugs in Regina; is the cost of thermal treatments coming down?

by nobugsonme on April 19, 2010 · 8 comments

in bed bug treatment, bed bugs, canada, money, thermal treatment

A new article today on the rise of bed bugs in Regina, Saskatchewan, is not unusual.  This is a local story about the problem, with soundbites from a local pest management professional: Regina sees increase in bed bugs in The Leader-Post.

We don’t usually cover such pieces, which mainly seem to be a promotional tool for the company quoted.  In this case, the story highlights the fact that the Poulin’s Pest Control Services branch in Regina is getting thermal equipment within the next month or so.

However, what caught my eye here is that Shawn Sherwood — branch manager of Poulin’s  in Regina — claims in the article that either of their bed bug treatments will be provided to the owner of a 3-bedroom bungalow for an approximate cost of $1000 — regardless of whether it’s a chemical or thermal treatment.

Chemical treatment requires a lot of preparation and must be done once a week for a number of weeks to be effective.

“That must be done a minimum of two and sometimes four or five times,” Sherwood said. “The average three-bedroom bungalow with a finished basement would run you around $1,000 — that’s whether we do it with chemical or with heat.”

[Emphasis mine.]

It’s good news to me that thermal treatment costs can be brought down to the level of a course of chemical treatments for bed bugs.  Although there are other reasons one might not prefer thermal treatment, the biggest barrier for most people is cost.

And while $1000 Canadian may be pricey for chemical treatment, it seems to be on par with what others elsewhere pay for a course of chemical treatments.

So I am impressed.  However, I haven’t priced treatments in my own area lately.

If you have — wherever you live — I’d be curious what the going rate is for bed bug thermal and/or chemical treatments by an experienced, knowledgeable provider.

If you’re willing to share this information, please comment below, stating where you are (specifically or generally, as in “New York City” or “major East Coast US city”), the size and type of home, and how much you were quoted for a thermal treatment for bed bugs.

Professionals, please remember that these comments are not the place to promote your business.

You can also read more discussions of thermal treatments on the blog or forums.

1 Anna April 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

Edmonton, Canada

2,000 square foot 2-storey house (2,800 sq ft including basement)

$380 per chemical treatment x 3 = $1,160
$2,000 thermal

1,000 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment

$250 per chemical treatment x 3 = $750
$1,200 thermal

$300 car thermal

$300 heat chamber for furniture pieces.

2 nobugsonme April 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Anna,

Thanks so much for your input. Since you priced both an apartment and a house, are you in the business? Or did you need to treat both of these locations?

Thanks again.

3 Ella April 21, 2010 at 12:07 am

Vancouver, Canada

1900 sf house – 3 bedrooms.

Thermal $2400
Chemical $750 for 2 visits. We had both done – fist thermal – didn’t work. Chemical seemed to have solved the problem for the time being. I think the guy who did thermal in Vancouver went out of business so thermal is not an option for Vancouverites.

4 Sylvie April 22, 2010 at 11:09 am

I called Gold Seal yesterday which serves Illinois as well as a few surrounding states. I asked about thermal treatment in moving trucks and was quoted $1000-$1200 for a studio.

5 nobugsonme April 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, Ella. I am sorry you had bad luck with thermal. Thermal should work if done properly. If you are re-exposed, of course, it is possible for the problem to continue this way.

Thanks, Sylvie — was this for treating the contents of a studio in a truck, rather than the actual studio apartment?

6 Anna April 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Hello Nobugs,

I had bed bugs in my apartment a month before I was supposed to move into my house.

I looked into getting the apartment done so I got a quote but my landlord said no.

I got a quote for our new house because we didn’t want to throw any furniture away.

When we told the PCO what we were doing he quoted us the cost of heating our moving truck or using his heat chamber…hence all the quotes.

I also got the car quoted because I was paranoid.

so…no…I am not in the business, the thought of bed bugs makes me skirm.

By the way, thanks for this great site. It has been a life saver and a sanity saver… I have been tempted to burn it all down and start over.

Anna

7 nobugsonme April 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for your kind words about the site, Anna. I am glad we can help, and I know your input will help others.

It isn’t clear whether you’ve moved yet, but I hope you either had a successful (and bed bug-free) move or are about to.

8 fightbbs July 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I was quoted $1.25 per square foot with re-treatment if bug reappeared (didn’t get info on length of warranty, tho—my bad which will be remedied if I can go this route). This price quote was from Gary West at Heat Treat Inc in Colorado. His website:

Article in Denver post:

Thanks again for all you’ve been doing!