Ohio County, WV Health Dept. official: bed bugs “public health nuisance” and “psychological disaster”

by nobugsonme on July 30, 2009 · 6 comments

in bed bugs, public health

Fox 28 reports that an Wheeling-Ohio County Health Department official says about 100 apartments at a Wheeling, West Virginia complex are infested with bedbugs.

What struck me in the article was this:

Health department Administrator Howard Gamble calls bedbugs a public health nuisance and a psychological  disaster for the people who are affected.

“A public health nuisance and a psychological disaster for the people who are affected.”

While some health officials still insist bed bugs are not a health problem at all, it is refreshing to see such a claim.

For some, we know, the psychological cost of a bed bug infestation is negligible.

But for many of us — including those whose reactions to bed bug bites are extremely uncomfortable and difficult to diagnose; for those who battle bed bugs for months or even years and lose time, money, sleep, and well-being; for those whose unaffected roommates or relatives think they are imagining things — for so many of us, calling a bed bug infestation a “psychological disaster” is decidedly not a hyperbole.

Bravo, Howard Gamble.

See the full story at WVa apartment complex infested with bedbugs: WTTE FOX 28 – Ohio News.

1 nobugsonme July 30, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Yes, I realize there is was a terrible typo in that post. Having some technical difficulties. Color me embarrassed.

One of those days!

2 Charles Fisher July 30, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I truley believe that anyone that has to deal with bedbugs is dealing with a psychological diaster and that description is very accurate. Although bedbugs do not spread deseases as we know it today, they are a public health nuisance. Public health as I see it, includes psychological health. As a registered sanitarian I live in fear of taking them home.

Let us all face the facts, anyone that truley learns about bedbugs, has changed their life as they knew it. I wake up in the middle of the night looking for those little buggers.

3 nobugsonme July 30, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Thanks for your comment. It’s pretty clear that with bed bugs, to know them is to fear them.

4 Winston O. Buggy July 31, 2009 at 9:21 am

Actually in ,my opinion I think it is a pretty accurate description.

5 MyWorstFear August 1, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Bravo!!!! Psychological disaster is a good beginning. If anything will make me go certifiably insane, bed bugs are definitely one of them!

6 TLS August 15, 2009 at 12:10 am

BB’s have caused me to go INSANE. I dealt with this issue a few years ago and here I am again. I feel like I am loosing my mind. I am very allergic to them and they are triggering asthma attacks. I just threw out most of most furniture and am working on my belongings. This is horrible that my children have to go through this. They should not have to wake up with bites on them and itching all day.