The Kingston Guardian (UK) reports that A school trip to an outdoor activity center went awry when students encountered bed bugs:
Children from Coombe Junior School had to camp outside while their dormitories were sprayed with pesticide last week, after bed bugs invaded an activity centre.
Year 5 pupils were affected when Hindleap Warren in East Sussex was infested with bed bugs, closing down many of its 80 rooms, after an outbreak six weeks ago.
The father of one Coombe Junior pupil said: “The children are very disappointed because they could only go for a couple of nights.”
But David Nottidge, director of Hindleap, denied poor cleanliness was responsible for the outbreak and said visitors had been warned of the bed bug outbreak before they arrived. He said the local council had also been informed.
A simple warning means little to people who don’t know much about bed bugs.
It would therefore be interesting to know what kind of information was provided about bed bugs — and how to avoid them — for these visiting groups, and for the local council. I truly hope they also took precautions to avoid taking bed bugs home.
The same article notes that students from another school group, Claremont Fan Court School in Esher, returned home from the same center complaining they’d been infected with scabies there; the center denied the presence of the scabies mite.
In my experience, doctors frequently misdiagnose bed bug bites as scabies, and treat for scabies (my own doctor did the same). Perhaps this was true in the case of these students as well.