An auxiliary gym at Denver’s Lake Middle School, which is used for an afterschool program, is infested with bed bugs:
The [afterschool] program was cancelled Thursday and will not reopen before Tuesday, pending approval from exterminators.
The gym, which contains a game room, office space and a TV room, is being sprayed with pesticides Friday.
“There were several pieces of furniture infested with what they call bed bugs,” Kayser said.
Kayser says Mi Casa staffers reported being bitten by the insects, but he was unaware of any such complaints from children.
The Mi Casa program at Lake involves about 85 children. A letter explaining the situation is being sent to parents.
I hope all staff were educated about bed bugs and their signs also. Bed bugs could have come in with any staff member, child, or visitor, or even in a shipment of materials.
I also hope everyone is made aware that you can be bitten by bed bugs and not react. It’s quite common.