Aurora, Colorado woman claims she got bed bugs from rental furniture

by nobugsonme on December 19, 2008 · 10 comments

in bed bugs, colorado, consumers, furniture, thermal treatment

According to Fox 31 News in Colorado, JoDean Persichetti says she did not have bed bugs in her apartment until after her shipment of rented furniture arrived:

“Those bugs were not in the apartment before the furniture arrived, it’s a brand new unit,” she said.

JoDean asked Rent-A-Center to pick up the furniture but the company refused, saying an insurance adjuster would have to inspect the furniture first, and if JoDean moved it herself she would be held liable for any damages.

“You just want to scratch your skin until you bleed,” JoDean said. She moved her mattress outside, but she says the bugs in her bedroom are still there.

Though Rent-a-Center claimed they inspected the furniture and found it bed bug-free before delivery, the Aurora store is paying to have Orkin treat Persichetti’s home for bed bugs.

Rental furniture is at risk of picking up bed bugs in one home, and having them carried to another. In addition, items not infested with bed bugs might become infested while being carried together with infested items in a truck.

I believe all furniture rental companies should be taking steps to ensure without a doubt that their stock is bed bug-free. Possible methods for doing so include professional thermal treatment and/or vikane (sulfuryl fluoride) gas fumigation of trucks full of stock.

1 Michelle Griffin December 30, 2008 at 1:53 pm

We are handling a case involving bed bugs against Rent-A-Center. Please contact us with any information you may have, we would like to speak with you:

Law Office of Rick Guzman
Rick Guzman, Esquire
Michelle Griffin, Paralegal
2201 Double Creek Dr., Ste 5001
Round Rock, Texas 78664
Tel: (512)388-7800
Fax: (512) 388-7801
Email: michelle@rickguzmanlaw.com

2 nobugsonme December 31, 2008 at 7:29 pm

HI Michelle,

We are simply a blog. The post above represents a link to a news article about a story, and our commentary on it.

We don’t know anything about Rent-a-Center or about the allegations made in the news story. You could try contacting Fox 31 or JoDean Persichetti.

3 APRIL May 6, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I AM CURRENTLY DEALING WITH A SITUATION WITH RENT A CENTER IN FLORIDA I GOT MY SONS A BED FROM THEM AND IT IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS IVE BEEN TAKING MY SON TO THE DR FOR 2 MONTHS OR MORE TRING TO FIGUE OUT WHY HE EVERY DAY IS BROKE OUT IN WELPS AND HIVES AND ALWAYS ITCHY. HE HAS SCRATCHED HIMSELF RAW AND NOW HAS SCARES WE HAVE SINCE FOUND THERE BED TO BE INFESTED. I HAD NO PROBLEMS BEFORE I BOUGHT THE BED AND NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS SINCE MANY SLEEPLESS NIGHTS ARE UPON US AND STILL TO COME. THE MANAGEMENT AT RENT A CENTER HAS AGREED TO PAY FOR EXTERMINATION OF MY HOME AND TO REPLACE THE BED WITH A NEW BUT ALL THE COUNTLESS NIGHT AND DAYS MY 8 YR OLD HAS CRIED OVER HIS SKIN WILL GO UNRESOLVED AND IM NOT SURE IM OKAY WITH THAT.I HAVE ALSO SPENT MONEY TIME AND TIME AGAIN TO BUY OVER THE COUNTER ITCH STUFF BUT BECAUSE I DONT HAVE A RECIEPT FROM 4 MONTHS AGO I CANT BE REINBURST SO I DONT CALL THIS A SOLUTION.I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT.IF U INTURN HAVE ADVICE FOR ME PLEASE LET ME KNOW…

4 nobugsonme May 6, 2009 at 11:46 pm

April,

If having your home treated and bed replaced at the rental center’s cost is not enough, you may consider taking legal action. I am not a lawyer and non one here can give legal advice. You’d need to consult a lawyer about this.

You can read about prior bed bug lawsuits in this FAQ.

Free legal advice may also be available (we have a FAQ on that).

5 hipolito perez May 13, 2009 at 4:05 pm

i just recently traded out some couches from rent- a -center and got bed bugs too, also my kids got bit up pretty bad and i dont like seeing my kids in any pain. now they have to spray my house and the rent a center said it was supposed to be orkin but they sent some one else. something needs to be done about this nation wide infestation its like rent a center is shipping and transporting bed bugs it needs to stop!

6 nobugsonme May 14, 2009 at 2:11 am

Hello hipolito perez,

Furniture rental businesses, like furniture sellers, hotels, restaurants, transportation providers, and other businesses need to have a plan for preventing the spread of bed bugs. Bed bugs can spread through all of these types of businesses and more.

Bed bugs are brought in by customers and employees, and carried out by others. Implementing a detection program and taking preventive steps to avoid the problem taking hold make good business sense.

7 Horrified Mother, September 8, 2009 at 6:13 am

Hi my name is Alisha Solis. My husband and I a couple of weeks ago had rented furniture from rent a center. A captains bed for my children and a couch and love seat. I have a ten year old son and a 4 yr old daughter. The first night that they slept in the bed they broke out in what looked like misquito or chigger bites. I was not sure of what it could be so I treated it as they were misquito bites. During the week my children sleep with me due my husband workes at night so it went away and I thought nothing of it. My daughter then had this weird red welps and rash all over her body. Mainly her arms and legs, so I took her to the hospital worried of what it could be. The doctors sent me home and said that it was virual and let it runs it course. well agian they sleep with me at night during the week and it slowly went away, she still has scars on her arms and legs from the last break out. Well my ten year old was still continuing to get them mainly on his back but they look like misquito so every day I would spray him down with bug spray before hw went ot school or outside. Unfortunaly he was still getting them. Until Saturday night he slept in his room and Emilee our daughter slept in there too. My poor baby was completly covered in bites all over his arms back and legs. His right ankle was really bad it was completly swollen and red.I then inspected emilee and she too had bites so once again I took them both to the hospital tring to figure out why they were getting bit but my husband I were not. He said that they were having an allergic reation to something and it was hives. Well i went to clean their room sunday night to hopefully rid it of anything they may be allergic to and that is when I found the skin of a bed bug. I then did reaserch on line to find out what they are and the effects.I tell you now I was horrified to find out that my children have getting bit by bed bugs I mean that is a saying that i heard growing up and who would ever think that they are real. So I decided the furniture has to go imeditaly. Rent a center was closed on labor day and I was not able to get them to pick it up( and i am glad i didnt have them pick it up) and the reason for that is I went and started pulling everything out of their room washing bedding and everything. Of course found more skin, but I took the bed apart to put on the porch. This is so hard for me to say without getting the chills and getting so disgusted and mad, but as I was talking it apart and inspecting every inch of the bed there they were in every indented screw hole and crack, my God these peaople put a bed in my childrens room infested with bed bugs I am completly horrified now my babies cant sleep very well because they itch so bad. Tyler my son on his right ankle it has got so bad that he has puss blisters on the bites because they bit him so many times. I cannot belive that they would send furniture out to people and not inspect it first. I have pictures of my sons legs and I have been able to capture of couple of the bugs and some of the skin and put that in a ziplock bag. The furniture is now on my porch and the bugs are still there and in the morning I am taking picture of that as well. I also have the sheets that was on the bed where traces of blood are stained on the sheets where those things were. I cannot sleep at all knowing that those things are in my childrens room so I have been up the entire night inspecting the rest of the house checking the children and washing everything. Tyler is so uncomfortable and has had three nights and unrestful rest. I am going to call to have them pick up the furniture and talk to the manager and have all the money that was paid on the bed as well has the couch and love seat givin back. Also I am going to get staments from the doctors that saw my children to state what they examined on my babies. I will have rent a center pay the hospital bills for having to take them. We have NEVER had this kind of problem till they delivered the furniture. I thank God every moment that we were able to figure out what is was before we were really infested but to be honest I dont know how bad it is I know that it is in thier room but the rest of the house seems to be ok. I am worried because I live in an apartment complex and I dont want to get the rest infested. we live in fort collins colorado and we are only an hour away from aroura and the bed came from denver which is where aroura is at. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Alisha

8 veronica bunton September 12, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I bought furniture from rent-a-center (living room set) and every time i sat on the couch i got bit up by something and when i reported to the owner or manager they said that they would trade it out for something else an when that happened that turned out to be a lie. I could trade it out but for a much more higher amount than what i was renting before so therefore i didn’t get any furniture but still kept my bedroom set but by that time they had already moved to the other part of the house especially into my boys rooms my son got bit up real bad like myself and i still have scares on my arms and on the back of my legs.

9 Horrified Mother, September 13, 2009 at 10:47 am

Veronica Please email me because I have more information for you this an on going problem in denver and aroura and i have benn informed by them that another captians bed had been deliverd and it was too infested. they are aware of this problem there and not much is being done to solve this problem. I am so sorry to hear that this happining to you and your son and keep an eye on your bites because sometime no matter what you do they can become very infected I just took my son to the hospital because some of the bites have turned to super bactiral infections. now he has to take tow liquid antibotics 4 times a day and have to put cream on it three times a day. my email is faith0826@gmail.com

10 Judy Jones March 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I live near Pittsburgh Pa.. I bought an L-shaped living room sofa from RAC last February. Within a couple of days I had bites. They said that I must have had a reaction to what they had used to treat the furniture, but that they would have someone come out and clean it for me. Their cleanning guy didn’t show up until the day after Mother’s Day. I was still getting bit . After that they removed the furniture and had my rugs steamed. They then replaced the L-shaped set with a sofa sleeper. Within a few days the biting continued. In July they(RAC) sent Orkin to heat treat the house—that didn’t work either. I am still getting bit. I look like I have smallpox–covered with sores and scars. I can’t sleep–I am constantly itchy. My nerves are shot with it all and now they aren’t returning my calls. They need to be held accountable. This is nothing less than criminal negligence.