Marie Claire magazine offices rumored to be infested with bed bugs

by nobugsonme on December 15, 2008 · 8 comments

in bed bug blame game, bed bug treatment, bed bugs, bed bugs in the workplace

Gawker reports a rumor that the Marie Claire offices in the Hearst building have been infested with bed bugs; a Gawker tipster said:

Marie Claire magazine in the brand new hearst tower was infested by bed bugs on Friday, courtesy of a fashion intern. employees in the affected area were sent home on Friday.
Over the weekend, total fumigation of the floor. Will it appear in the reality show they’ve been filming up there?!”

Gawker said the whole office was told bed bugs were brought in by an intern.

I am fascinated by such claims, since it is very hard to establish how bed bugs got into a particular space.

I am also fascinated that in workplace scenarios, it always seems to be a lowly staffer who is blamed as the “source”.

Bed bugs don’t discriminate: I hear pricey coops are among the most bed bug-infested buildings in the city.

Thanks to the reader who pointed me to Gawker today.

1 aimee December 15, 2008 at 6:50 pm

I thought in order to Vikane (fumigate), you would need to tent the whole building. Do you think they really fumigated as in “vikaned”? Or do you think they just sprayed pesticides?

2 nobugsonme December 15, 2008 at 7:58 pm

aimee,

You’re absolutely right.

Lots of people who don’t know anything about pest control use the term “fumigation” to refer to bed bug treatment (traditional spraying) which is incorrect.

They surely did not fumigate one floor of a building, but this was a direct quote from the source.

3 aimee December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Thanks Nobugs, that’s what I thought too. I hope they re-treat then in 2 more weeks for the eggs. Plus, I hope all those people who work there know to go to your website and read up on the FAQ’s so they don’t get bed bugs in their own homes!
Someone has got to come up with a cure for these things. It’s getting worse by the day not better!

4 Jessica December 15, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Hey Nobugs! I just saw this Gawker article, and I came straight to Bedbugger to see if you’d picked it up yet. I had exactly the same thoughts you did: an intern was blamed for the infestation? Really? It’s just as likely that bed bugs were brought in my a fashion model!

How in the world would anyone ever know who brought a bed bug or a bed bug egg into the Hearst building? How would anyone ever know whether or not the infestation STARTED in the Marie Claire offices? It’s quite possible that the floors above and below those offices are affected, too.

And why is anyone ever blamed for a bed bug infestation in a building? It doesn’t matter, it doesn’t get us anywhere, and, frankly, I don’t know ANYONE who would knowingly or intentionally bring bed bugs ANYWHERE with them, especially to work!

I’m going to write a little something about this too, because it adds credibility to what I’ve been saying at Chicago vs. Bed Bugs: it’s only a matter of time before we’re all going to be dealing with bed bug infestations in one way or another.

I’ll link ya.

🙂

5 nobugsonme December 16, 2008 at 1:25 am

Thanks, Jessica! You’re right: all will be affected in time, I am sure.

aimee, Thanks for your comments. I also hope people are given information about bed bugs at Marie Claire, which would be a much more helpful discussion to be having, compared with finger pointing and rumor mongering.

6 myLifeinZiplocs December 16, 2008 at 3:06 pm

I thought the same thing regarding the “intern.”

That is so ridiculous.

7 parakeets December 16, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Maybe the intern ‘fessed up and said she or he had bed bugs at home? Maybe that intern THOUGHT he or she was the one responsible for bringing them to work? Yet even if the intern felt guilty of spreading bed bugs, it actually still could be anyone of a number of possibilities, as mentioned here.

8 nobugsonme December 16, 2008 at 7:39 pm