Stamford Manor residents have had bed bugs for three years!

by nobugsonme on October 31, 2008 · 7 comments

in bed bug treatment, bed bugs, bed bugs and the elderly, connecticut, thermal treatment, vikane

Here’s The Stamford Advocate with another story that makes me mad. Residents of a building for senior citizens like Adelaida Ramos have been dealing with bed bugs for three years:

Ramos is one of more than 50 people at Stamford Manor, a public housing residence for seniors, who have reported bedbugs to the housing authority over the past three years. The authority has fumigated apartments, especially since the problem became rampant last year, but residents said the bloodsuckers persist, moving from one apartment to the next.

Some residents, including Ramos, think the only way to annihilate the pests is to fumigate all of Stamford Manor.

“If they continue doing it like this, it’s never going to end,” said Ramos, who speaks Spanish.

On Wednesday, Richard Fox, executive director of the housing authority recently renamed Charter Oak Communities, said he plans to do that. Monday the authority will begin fumigating two floors a day for five days, said Bob Violet, the building inspector. Another 20 apartments will be fumigated each week for three weeks, Fox said.

That doesn’t sound like fumigation.

True fumigation, commonly done with gases such as sulfuryl fluoride, Vikane (TM), requires evacuation, and is helpful in clearing an entire building of bed bugs at once. Thermal treatment can also lead to a quick resolution (as I hope it will for these seniors in Philadelphia).

What Stamford Manor is getting sounds like traditional bed bug treatments (spraying, dusting). The bed bugs have been traveling aroud the building for three years already, and this treatment plan may not be the end of it, unfortunately.

Update (11/25): at least for now, the Stamford Advocate reports there are no complaints of bed bugs in Stamford Manor, according to management. The whole building was treated — I am not sure how many times, though at least some units (perhaps all?) got three spray treatments in two weeks. Six residents were still claiming to have bed bugs as of mid-November, so I think it’s too soon to call it a success.

1 parakeets October 31, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Thanks so much for always sticking up for the seniors! There is much compassion in that attitude and I greatly appreciate a focus such as that on the board here.

No matter what method they were using to treat this complex, if residents have been complaining and dealing with bedbugs for 3 years, there is obviously no effective plan in place.

There is a need for bedbug educator/consultants who can go in and teach property managers how to deal with bedbugs, what to ask PCO firms and what to expect, how to handle tenants, what to communicate to tenants, how to make sure there is complinace, how to prevent future re-infestations and the whole bedbug issue. (nobugs would be a great bedbug educator/consultant, don’t you think?). I think sometimes complexes are simply treated by technicians who don’t get involved in an overall plan or the education of tenants, so only the “application of the pesticde” portion gets done.

2 nobugsonme October 31, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Thanks, ‘Keets!

Some Pest Control Operators have told me they do work with landlords in the way you describe. Education is sorely needed, and it can be difficult when some tenants will resist complying with treatment, prep, and preventive measures.

The problem of bed bugs in apartment buildings for seniors seems to be widespread and most buildings do not seem to be getting the sort of care that we saw in Coatesville, PA (the other day). I just posted about another senior building in Lexington, KY today.

On another note — it would be interesting to see some studies comparing the costs paid out in treating a large building for years vs. using a one-shot treatment like thermal or vikane, coupled with education about preventing re-infestation.

Even with traditional methods — surely an agressive coordinated campaign of prep and repeated traditional sprays/dusts in all affected and adjacent units, and a thorough inspection of the whole building, would cost less than treating units piecemeal, for years, as bed bugs spread.

3 nobugsonme November 25, 2008 at 3:34 pm

4 lawsuit about bedbugs April 15, 2009 at 11:06 am

I want to know about a law suit about bed bugs contacted at a flordia motel we live in lousiana

5 Richard February 4, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I’m surprised how often people talk about “getting rid of bed bugs once and for all”. It’s the same as asking a Dr. to get rid of the flu once and for all. Bed bugs are hitchikers. If one is brought into the building the whole cycle starts all over again.

I recently went to a seminar on Bed bugs. I’m in the pest control business and was surprised to hear from an attorney how much landlords hands are tied when it comes to enforcing sanitation and other contributing factors.

We service some large apartment complexes. I’ve had meetings with the tenants to educate them on how to reduce the chances of having a problem. Out of 130 people in the complex, the largest attendance we had was 30 (out of three meetings).

6 Felicia July 12, 2010 at 9:38 am

We’re Renter of a 10 story condo. They have a contract pest control who come every month to spray. in march or april my family and I are a victem of begbugs my daughter was the worse of us all she was covered from head to toe with bites at that time we didn’t know what it was that was causing them to breakout we took the kids to the doctor and the doctor was thinking it was just a rash but her condition kept getting worse and he sent my daughter to a skin doctor and they thought it was skin irratation. something told me to really check my kids rooms and i seen some little tiny bugs look like ticks thats what we thought it was until the condo association pest control man came in to treat the problem and he discovered that they were in fact bedbugs he treated it two times in which it didn’t work. So i took it unpoan myself and did little more research on bedbugs and found that if one unit finds out they have begbugs that it means the hold building does. In which the hold builden have to be treated and that some people might not know they have them and may think they have fleas or mosquito thats biting them. So we informed the Pest Control man of the seriousness of bedbugs he infact told me he can’t treat the hold builden. So I spoke with the builden maintaince manager and he told me he spoke with the pest control man boss and he said that bedbugs doesn’t cover their contract. So the Association of the building says it’s are problem. What can we do to handle this situation legally because we have 3 kids and an infant ages are 11,8,6 and 15months olds. Now my 15months old baby is being eating up by these bedbugs. We tried everything to handle these problem and we have ran out of ideas. So help us their on everything and everywhere. We have nowhere to sleep cause their everywhere eating us up. We can’t take this anymore. Help Us. We’re thinking about a Law sue for property damage and i’llness damage my infant baby got an infection for them bedbugs

From

Felicia and William [last name removed]

7 nobugsonme July 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

He Felicia,

I have removed your last name from the post above to protect your identity.

Please see my response to your other post.