Time for action: support the Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite Act 2008 currently in the U.S. House of Representatives

by nobugsonme on July 7, 2008 · 16 comments

in bed bug inspections, bed bugs, bed bugs in hotels, government

Remember the House of Representatives’ Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite Act of 2008? It would institute a grant program for states to inspect hotel rooms for bed bugs.

Well, according to the Library of Congress’s Thomas system, it’s now being considered by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The Washington Watch site now has five comments up and a poll (to state whether you’re for or against the Bill).

I’d encourage more people who’ve had bed bugs to weigh in, since the poll is currently 90% against, 10% for.

Of course, members of the House of Representatives are likely more intelligent than certain members of the public who comment on such sites, but why not express our point of view?
However, keep in mind that online polls do little or nothing to affect politics.

As always, writing your representative is the only way to be sure s/he knows this issue matters. Have you dropped your Representative and the Committee on Energy and Commerce a note yet, expressing your support of the bill?

Please find your state Representatives here
(you can search by your zip code), and drop them a quick email or give them a quick phone call telling them you support HR 6068.

And since the bill is currently being considered in the Committee on Energy and Commerce, I strongly urge you to drop them a note, telling them why the bill matters. You can do it here.

It takes only a couple of minutes to tell political representatives why this bill matters.

1 Cody July 8, 2008 at 1:26 am

It makes me so angry!

The comments there are by stupid people who have no idea what bed bugs are. “Clean your linen”, like we’re dirty. “It’s not a big deal”, like we’re just whiners. “It’s not the government’s problem”, when it affects every state (and every country!)

I Google’d it and put some corrective comments onto a few of the boards. Hopefully some others here will join in!

2 nobugsonme July 8, 2008 at 7:02 pm

It gets worse.

A New Republic blogger is spinning the issue like so:

Seriously. Young and Jefferson are among the co-sponsors of the Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite Act of 2008 (yes, that’s its real name), which proposes to provide $200 million over four years in grants to states to fight bed bugs in hotel rooms. Right now the bill’s prospects don’t look great, but the anti–bed bug netroots is mobilizing its membership to lobby for the legislation, so it could be a real dogfight.

Next up: Congress goes after mildew!

Um, okay, so this post is linked from the phrase “anti-bed bug netroots.” (Netroots.)

If we’re anti-bed bug, and proud, who exactly isn’t? Does this mean Josh Patashnik and his New Republic crew are pro-bed bug? Is there a pro-bed bug lobby?!?

Renee of New York vs. Bed Bugs hits the nail on the head in her comments on Jim Harper’s response and the fact that legislators set this bill up badly. Yes, she’s anti-bed bug too, the clever woman.

Are you pro- or anti-bed bug?

By the way, it appears the naysayers, almost to a man, don’t seem to get that the bill funds hotel room inspections, not prevention or treatment of actual bed bug cases.

3 Renee July 8, 2008 at 8:01 pm

L.o.l.lipops!

It’s been fascinating watching this unfold, but I’m worried, of course. I wonder how many libertarians call NYC home… (Although, must say it was interesting to see Jonah Goldberg’s reaction to the Daily News piece way back in December. Just goes to show, the only good thing about New York is the bad thing about New York: everyone can get bedbugs. So perhaps I’m worrying too much.)

But I think you should wear the anti-bed bug netroots label proudly! 🙂

PS: TNR… I can only think about that wonderful red pens scene in that great Stephen Glass movie.

4 nobugsonme July 8, 2008 at 8:10 pm

You’re right about Goldberg’s comment on the earlier discussion.

I guess if DDT were a viable option, the libertarians and conservatives would probably be the ones to make it happen. It’s not, of course, so we won’t go down that road.

I never saw that movie! Is it good?

5 Renee July 8, 2008 at 8:49 pm

It’s awesome, in that quietly devastating style.

Between the folks who clamor for DDT and those who think we should just use vacuum cleaners and wash our sheets and by the way what is all the fuss about… I guess we could use a triangulator!

All right, great fun as always, Nobugs.

6 nobugsonme July 9, 2008 at 2:22 am

I think it’s important to remember that if bed bugs were not worth spending all this time on, we’d be blogging about movies.

7 hatebedbugs July 10, 2008 at 9:45 am

This is some of the worst legislation that I have ever seen. Who does this legislation benifit…DAAA. The hotel industry and the PCO industry. The legislation calls for 20% percent of the hotels rooms to be inspected and chemically treated. What about the other 80%? I guess they are OK. The PCO industry have been helpless in dealing with bed bug problems because they use ineffective technology or don’t make use of all effective technologies. So,if the PCO industry can’t kill the bed bugs now because of ineptatude why does the Congeress of the United States think that Two Hundred Million Dollars is going to make a difference. If one supports this legisllation you either own a hotel/motel or you own a PCO. I don’t want you to have my tax dollars because your stupid.

8 nobugsonme July 10, 2008 at 3:30 pm

hatebedbugs,

The bill isn’t perfect, but I don’t think that it will unduly benefit the hotel industry.

The grants can be used to conduct inspections, train inspectors and educate hotel managers and staff in bed bug prevention and eradication.

It also mandates that NO FEWER THAN 20% of hotel rooms are inspected annually. I assume that currently far fewer rooms are inspected for bed bugs.

A lot of hoteliers won’t like this because they don’t want their rooms inspected.

Incidentally, hatebedbugs, since you run a bed bug dog business, perhaps your industry’s technology will be harnessed by these insepctors.

Finally, I am wondering if you are reading the discussions which have followed your previous contributions to the website. There’s at least one helpful suggestion that you might want to follow up on.

9 learningaboutbedbugs July 12, 2008 at 6:36 pm

I agree, the ignorance about these creatures is amazing…people don’t understand them yet, because they haven’t dealt with them. If they do deal with them, as this grows, they’ll see the importance of this funding….this is going to be a major public health issue in the future by the sounds. People just need education at this point-because they don’t believe bed bugs exist. I see a major public health issue/education for the public being a priority as this grows.

10 R Wayne April 15, 2009 at 9:26 am

This bed bug thing is some garbage that some scam artist has rigged up with purposeful infestation.
Who Knows, the bug Chemist may be one of the main ones importing this nonsense into people’s homes, buildings and hotels.
We didn’t have this problem 10 years ago. Now that we’ve done got rid of the roach infestation in major sources. Which was deemed as a health hazard. Now they are trying to create another health hazard in efforts to making money. You dirty scams. You ain’t never had a life from the day you were born.

11 nobugsonme April 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm

R Wayne,

If by “the bug Chemist,” you mean pest control operators (exterminators), then I don’t think they’re bringing bed bugs to people’s homes.

We are not “dirty scams.” I hope you never encounter bed bugs, but if you do, you’re in for a shock.

Thanks for stopping by. Now peddle your vitriol elsewhere.

12 bedbugsareruingmylife April 16, 2009 at 6:26 am

BED BUGS ARE REAL! AT LEAST WITH MITES YOU CAN CATCH THEM IN THE ACT AND WITH BED BUGS YOU DON’T KNOW A THING TILL YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING WITH AN ITCH, THAT LET ME TELL YOU DOES NOT GO AWAY…AS I TYPE THIS I AM LOOKING FOR A WAY TO GET THEM OUT!!! I’M GETTING SCARS ALL OVER MY LEGS AND FEET AND NOW SOME ON MY ARMS FROM SCRATCHING SO MUCH! I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIND THEM…ANY HELP ANYONE?

{ 4 trackbacks }