Dissolvable laundry bags!

by nobugsonme on April 4, 2008 · 9 comments

in bed bugs, laundry

This post mentions a product — Green Clean Dissolvable Laundry Bags — currently only available to the public via one supplier (Cooper Pest’s Bed Bug Central, which will be obvious from the URL included in the video).

I have not actually tried this product, though it does look like fun! Apparently, you seal your bed bug-infested laundry inside, throw the whole thing in the washing machine, and the bag dissolves while the items wash.

I stress that this post is not a review or an advertisement. I am posting this because I think it is good for everyone to know that this technology is available. It has actually been available, apparently, for 30 years, and has been used by hospitals and nursing homes for a long time. Applying it to the bed bug problem seems like a good move.

Click to watch the video.

(note: I usually embed YouTube videos, but this one did not work for some reason.)

Update 4/18:

Here’s a second video which shows the bags being used in the machine itself.

1 paulaw0919 April 4, 2008 at 10:56 am

Yes, I saw this too last night on coopers site. Good for the first time bagging stuff up to be washed I guess. But did you see the price of a bag of 24?! A bit expensive I thought.

2 DougSummersMS April 4, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Stephan Doggett lists a product called Alginate bags in his code of practice publication. This sounds like the same product.

3 thebedbugresource April 4, 2008 at 7:12 pm

We have been using these for years. There are many makes and brands. They are widely used in the medical field for soiled linens etc.

Entomologist / Pest Professional.

4 nobugsonme April 4, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Doug and Sean–

I should clarify– as I said, I am aware they’ve been used for decades in the medical field. I am interested but not surprised to know that Sean’s firm uses them.

But they do not seem to be marketed to the public by other sources.

Paula– yes, they are expensive ($60 for 25?), hence my interest in additional sources.

5 Phillip Cooper April 5, 2008 at 9:36 am

So everyone is aware, the Green Clean bags will be available through the pest distributors so they can be part of any pest management company’s product line. Although Cooper/Bedbugcentral is bringing them to market, we want them to be available throughout the industry, not just through our website.

The front load bags are the costly ones at $60 and we are working hard to bring them closer to the top load bags which retail at $32.50.

We also were in touch with Steven Dogget during our intial work with developing the bags. Yes they are very similar to what he has discussed and used but slightly different. But all in all accomplishing the same thing.

The interest in the bags has been strong and we are hoping they catch on as a preferred product in the bed bug arena.

Phil Cooper
President, Bed Bug Central

6 nobugsonme April 5, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Thanks Phil, for your comments.

I very much appreciate your company’s attitude that these should be distributed widely.

7 lil_bit_obsessed April 6, 2008 at 12:03 pm

what an interesting idea. so you could have three of these *sealed* bags in your home at a time, one for darks, one whites, one colors, and just pre-sort your laundry as you use it. i imagine it would cut down on the spread of bbs to laundromats. great idea.

8 nobugsonme April 7, 2008 at 10:14 am

Well, you can only seal these bags once, from what I gather.

9 nobugsonme April 18, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Added a second video which shows the bags being used in an actual washing machine.