Photos of bed bugs on a popcorn ceiling, wall, wooden furniture

by nobugsonme on April 3, 2008 · 25 comments

in angie, bed bugs, bedbugs, photos of bed bugs, popcorn ceiling

Reader Angie generously shared her bed bug photos with us.

Click a photo, then “all sizes” then “large” to view them in more detail.

Here’s a bed bug on a “popcorn” ceiling:

UNI_1546

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Bed bugs and feces on a popcorn ceiling:

UNI_1657

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Here’s a bed bug crawling down the living room wall “to watch TV with the kids”:

UNI_1662

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Here’s a bed bug hanging out on the underside of a wooden vanity:

UNI_1689

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Bed bug eggs on the screw of an antique wooden item of furniture:

UNI_1720

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Here’s a bed bug nest, behind some wooden trim:

UNI_1618

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Bed bugs on the underside of a sofa:

UNI_1399

Originally uploaded by buggedinne

Thanks Angie!

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
1 paulaw0919 April 4, 2008 at 6:20 am

Angie, thank you soo much for all of your amazing photos. It shows people one where to look so clearly. I am soo happy that you and your family are out of that living environment. You are a very strong person and I personally admire your strength.

2 lieutenantdan April 4, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Angie. All that I can say is WOW!

3 Jared April 15, 2008 at 9:25 pm

I was just wondering…. I put Frontline on my dogs so that when fleas or ticks bite them, the bugs will die. Has anyone done a study to see if some of these pet products will also kill bedbugs? If so, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to let these medicated pets sleep on or near the bed.

I just took a trip to Pittsburgh and had to spend two night in a motel/hotel. I saw some a few suspicious marks on the walls. I am praying that we didn’t bring home any unwanted guests. I will be on alert! Thanks for all your information. I used to love to travel, but now I would rather stay home.

4 nobugsonme April 15, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Jared, you can take precautions so that travel is still enjoyable. Read the FAQ on avoiding bed bugs when you travel and learn how to search a room for bed bugs:

As far as I know, there haven’t been any studies showing that Frontline has any effect on bed bugs biting pets. It probably can’t hurt, though.

5 nobugsonme July 12, 2008 at 1:39 pm

BroDave,

Bed bugs are more likely to bite at night in homes, and so beds are a common haunt.

However, the only requirement for bed bugs to thrive is that they can bite people.

They can live in doctor’s waiting rooms, in train, plane, or bus seats, movie theater seats, workplaces and schools, houses of worship. [Not just chairs or beds, either: they can live in the cracks of the floor or the walls.] All of these places are not infested, of course, but you can certainly have gotten them somewhere like that. They could crawl into your bag or trouser cuff in someone’s home, in a store, etc.

You don’t need to stay in a hotel or sleep away from home to get bed bugs. I think you’re safer in the garden than in indoor locations.

6 BroDave July 12, 2008 at 1:35 pm

How do bedbugs get in the house, other than the obvious of bringing them in suitcases, etc., after a trip. Here’s my real question: my wife might have been bitten by a bedbug but we haven’t been anywhere overnight in several months. Can you get a bite like a bedbug in the garden? TKS

7 Hambone July 15, 2008 at 8:58 pm

I have been fighting these critters for about 6 months.Im so fed up with them that im going to call an exterminater. What is thier treatment going to be to rid these pest. I have wood floors with cracks and ive tried spraying bed lam on the base boards and ive encased my mat,and box spring and they still are on the bed. I smash them when i c them and i look daily and still find them around. I also threw my couch out and replaced it too soon. What are thier breeding cycles cause when i look i find mostley babys and i spray rubbing alcohol to kill them. I really need some advise and dont have much money to work with. thanks

8 nobugsonme July 15, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Hambone,

You need a pest control operator who really has bed bug experience. There’s a FAQ on how to choose one (what questions to ask).

Do you rent your home? If so, depending where you live, the landlord may be responsible for getting treatment. Either way, any neighbors who are next door, above or below your unit will need a professional inspection and treatment if necessary. If you’re in a building, they may be in other apartments and may keep coming.

Read the FAQs carefully and if you have more questions, come to the forums where you will have many more responses.

9 Hambone July 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Hey nobugsonme, I rent a 1 bedroom in a 4 unit building. I talked to the landlord and told her about bed bugs in my unit. She is saying that she is not responsable because she didnt bring them in. No other units have complained about them. Im not seeing that much activity from the bugs so im assuming the ones im seeing are from the eggs. Can i get by with treating them myself and if so what is the best product available to me and can i trust the internet to get the product. I feel they might be contained but im not sure. Is the landlord responsable and if she refuses to treat the unit or building who should i report this to in order to force action. I live in cincinnati Oh. Any info is greatly appreciated.

10 nobugsonme July 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I am not sure of the laws in Cincinnati. But you should come to the forums and ask your question there. You will get more responses and there will likely be others from your area: http://bedbugger.com/forum

If it is not the landlord’s duty, then I would still say you need a professional since bed bugs can be hard to eradicate, esp. after so many months. All pros are NOT the same, we have a FAQ on choosing one.

11 Hambone July 21, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Do i have to worry about my electronics stuff, or is that a really bad infestation.

12 nobugsonme July 21, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Hambone,

Please, please read my responses above. Copy and paste your question into a new thread on the forums and you will get MANY more responses. Here, your questions are off-topic, and on a post from April, and less likely to be seen by anyone but me.

Go here: http://bedbugger.com/forum
It’s free and can be anonymous.

13 pike August 7, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Hi,
We too are experiencing bedbugs. You can not handle it on your own. If you try it will just get worse. And you can’t just treat your unit. You have to treat the unit above you, below you and next to you.
They typically live in bedrooms and living rooms, so all rooms (even other units) that are adjacent need to be treated.

It is not an easy process. Common bug repellent will just live on them till they shed their skins.

Even units who don’t have them need to be treated. We had one unit who found them, he tried handling it himself (with an exterminater) and didn’t inform other units.
Now, 5 months later 3 more units have them. 2 of the 3 are HEAVILY infested.

preparing for extermination also isn’t easy. If an exterminator makes you think it is an ok process, get a better exterminator.

You have to remove all cloth. Bed sheets, blankets, clothes, towels curtains from rooms, and place them in trashbags. take them to a laudromat and wash them in hot water. when done, put them in new trashbags (not the ones they came in) and do not bring these into the rooms being treated. All closets and drawes and underbed storage need to be emptied, and placed in boxes left open so they can lightly treat in the boxes and heavily treat the drawers and closets and bed and frames etc.

you will probably need more than one treatment. Be diligent with your landlord and the other tenants. The exterminator should treat all units the same day. If not, in a short time the entire building will be infested. The bites as the bugs get larger are horrible.

Your landlord is wrong. She may have some responsibility in helping you handle this. You may not have brought them in either.

They can live in walls and will travel 100 feet to feed, so it isn’t just your unit…they are a building issue.
You cant rid the building of them just by treating your unit…if you try, they will come back to your unit (after infesting other units)

talk to some exterminaters. Have the landlord talk to the exterminators about them too. She might just need more info.
Typically, Landlords and condo associations handle pest control for the buildings. This isn’t just your unit. (If the problem was your bed and that’s as far as the problem went, fine, you would be responsible…but that isn’t the case)

Good Luck

14 lisa woodall November 17, 2008 at 8:01 pm

we are about to receive a sectional couch from a stranger for free , its currently in her storage unit..how can we tell off hand if theirs any bugs? thank you

15 Matt December 15, 2008 at 10:48 am

About landlords:
When my apt building (6 units) got hit, my landlord was very proactive. If those bugs jump from one unit to the next (and they certainly will) then it IS the landlord’s problem regardless of the law concerning your own apt.

I had these two years ago, and I still find a bug or two. I encased everything, and when I went to remove the old mattress, I still found a couple bugs. UGH.

16 Jay January 22, 2009 at 12:16 am

Hi my family has moved from which we believe is an infested household of 3 units & we move & now live in another 3 unit private house now.no 1 else has really complained about them& Bed bugs are driving all of us crazy we have carpeted floor we get bit so much that we can’t even sleep in our beds anymore we have washed our sheets, clean the beds allnsorts of things we dot know what else to do. Please help! O & do u think I’d a friend has cme over & sat or layer on the bed that IRS possible they mite have this problem too? & wat kind of medical conditions do bedbugs give ? Please help & please reply thanks

17 nobugsonme January 22, 2009 at 1:24 am

Jay,

It is likely that if you moved from an infested apartment to a new house, you brought bed bugs there with you. It is very hard to move away from them, since they can hide in your stuff easily.

Anyone who comes into your home is at risk of catching them. And if you and your family visit others, you can carry them in your clothing or in your bags and stuff. You must read the FAQs and take precautions against this!

Most people who are bitten by bed bugs either have no reaction, or itchy bite marks or welts. There are pictures of them here, but this is really to show the range possible. Many people get no skin reactions from bites. In some cases, these can be very itchy and they can sometimes become infected. Psychological stress and trouble sleeping are also common.

Some people will have more serious allergic reactions. If anything more serious than itchy skin is troubling anyone in your home, see a doctor. In rare cases, people are hospitalized with severe allergic reactions (which may include, for example, trouble breathing, or severe swelling) and they must get to an ER immediately. I stress this is rare, but it is good to be aware of.

It is important to get rid of bed bugs as soon as possible, and you will probably need good professional help to get rid of them all.

Please read the FAQs, and if you then have questions, come to the Bedbugger Forums.

18 nelya February 4, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I beleive i have bed bug but 2 gyus from terminex checked my home and couldn’t find any.
what can i do????????????????
I an so depressed.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 nobugsonme February 6, 2009 at 1:38 am

How long did the PCOs take to inspect? Did they turn the place upside down?

I hope so. Even if they did, human inspections have a low success rate. We hear human inspectors do well when they take hours to search an apartment. Most PCOs don’t spend so long.

Another option is a bed bug sniffing dog. They have a higher success rate than the average human, and though they’re not foolproof, it’s worth a try.

Make sure you rule out other causes with the doctor (folliculitis, scabies) and you make sure you’re not being bitten somewhere else (work, school, car, friend’s home, etc.)

20 afraidtosleepinmybed22 February 18, 2009 at 4:17 pm

How long does it take for diatomaceous earth to kill the bugs? I’m dying here. Wish it would work instantly. I have not seen any bugs, but as I have read in website, that I may not ever see a bug. I have yet to see any blood stains, BUT I saw a single spec on my blue top sheet. Could that be poop or dried up blood (or is that what their poop is)? Also, I read in another site (or may have been this one.. I have been so sleep deprived… I don’t got to sleep until 4am because I am terrified of getting bitten again) that you can see the little specs but that you can also see rust-colored stains. What do those look like? Would the rust colored stains be small like poop or large irregular shapes- ’cause the irregular shapes are the ones that I have seen on my mattress protector and sickeningly on the t-shirt I wore last night and slept sitting up… on a freshly dusted with diatomaceous earth sofa?

21 nobugsonme February 18, 2009 at 11:14 pm

afraidtosleepinmybed22,

I answered you in another comment about the Diatomaceous earth.

Please repost your other questions in the forums. Click here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/

You will get many more responses there and the discussion can be all in one place. It’s off topic here.

Thanks!

22 bedbugsdrivingmemad February 4, 2010 at 2:51 am

Hi,
I found out right before Thanksgiving that we had bed bugs. I live in an apartment complex. I followed all of the steps that the landlord and the pest guy told me to to …. washed everything sprayed and scrubbed everything with acholhol …smelled like I should be running a bar out of my apartment. I bagged all the mattrases and go rid of mine, that is where the problem started. My kids are now getting bit. I have not seen any until today when I again checked the room. And low and behold there they were hiding in two creases of the encasement for the mattress. I am again going to be doing the treatments as well as using a steamer, alchohol and doing laundry again… UHHHHGGGGG! I have no time for this … it is soooo tiring. I am also going to be adding a natural product as a back up plan to help with the process. However, I have heard the landlord say that there have been others in the large complex that have had then…. and I also had a neighbor tell me when I got rid of my mattress that she has replaced 4 bed due to these nasty critters.
I they come back after all that I will be doing again… is there a way to find out if they are traveling from other units? And if they are what do I do about it? Any advice would be great… I am so stressed and tired from dealing with this as well as working full time and taking care of all my kids.

Thanks….
Crazy by Way of Bed Bugs

23 nobugsonme February 4, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Hi Crazy by way of bed bugs,

Please copy and repost your question in our Bedbugger forums: http://bedbugger.com/forum

You will get more responses this way.

24 bughunter July 22, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Some of the things I do just to live with them. I can’t get rid of them and have been fighting them for 4 years. I washed everything in hot water, ironed it and keep all my clothes in sealed zip lock bags. I iron my bed every night (never miss) and the cat beds too. The heat really gets them good. You have to iron all your clothes for sure and your coats. I bought a small steamer and steam once a month the bed, the chairs, couch, cat beds etc. I have a hard plastic bed frame with one mattress and one blanket (untucked). I threw out my wooden headboard. I use lice shampoo and lice gel for my body in the shower. I put that earth stuff all around the baseboards and leave it there. Everything I can think of that I use I put that earth stuff around. Under: cushions, chairs, rugs, floors, computers, keyboards, around the toilet, in drawers, and you name it..etc. I Bag my makeup, my hair stuff, my shoes, towels, etc. I clean clean clean and drive myself crazy. I buy sticky rollers by bulk and sticky roller up all the eggs and debris. I use them on the couches, cat beds and anywhere, even on the car seat. I keep one every location and I sticky roller my clothes all day long. It’s getting better but still find the odd one. My sister was in prison and then stayed with me for three weeks and I with her for two and we are sure that is where they came from. Who knows. They are everywhere nowadays. And are so small, they look like specs until you look through a mag glass. You eventuall learn to recoginize, the eggs, the nymphs, the bugs, the dirt, the bites, and you just have to learn to clean everything. Hope this helps. I even came close to suicidal thoughts from all of this. These bugs just ruin life. I can’t imagine working full time anymore and taking care of kids. But we have to be there for them and protect them. My parents had them in the fifties. The house burned down and the bugs were gone. I don’t recommend that though. Good luck.

25 nobugsonme July 23, 2013 at 10:37 pm

bughunter,

Bed bugs aren’t microscopic. I’m concerned that you may have a different pest and may need different treatment. If you post a photo, perhaps using the mag glass, an expert on the Bedbugger forums can ID it.

Even if it is bed bugs, you do not have to live with this permanently. Steam can work, but once a month may not be aggressive enough to eliminate the problem. Some chemical treatment may help also. Please get experienced, knowledgeable, professional help, or get advice from someone like P Bello in our Bedbugger forums who will give advice for those who absolutely must do it themselves.

Good luck to you.