New York vs. Bed Bugs: NYC is the underdog!

by nobugsonme on March 25, 2008 · 8 comments

in activism, bed bugs, new york, new york city, new york vs. bed bugs

Remember when I said that a number of New York bedbuggers were organizing a plan to call for local officials to take action on the bed bug situation in NYC?

Well, it’s happening.

New York vs. Bed Bugs, (slogan: “NYC is the underdog!”) declares:

We believe that the city should lead the fight against bed bugs.

From Australia to Boston to Cincinnati to Toronto, local governments, public health officials and communities have already devised and implemented an impressive array of sensible solutions, policies and protocols to control the spread of bed bugs.

We believe that the city can adopt measures to combat bed bugs as a pressing quality of life issue and should utilize the tools and strategies of public health surveillance and education to achieve control of this economically important urban pest.

The city should immediately act to form a task force—with entomologists and urban pest management experts as advisers—to be charged with devising a comprehensive plan with specific attention to the following objectives:

* tracking infestations data;

* rolling out a comprehensive public education campaign;

* establishing clear bed bug control guidelines and policies;

* providing assistance to tenants, landlords and homeowners;

* facilitating and monitoring the specialized training of pest control officers and bed bug inspectors;

* implementing sensible mattress and used furniture regulations; and

* establishing trash collection protocols.

Sound sensible?

Check out for more information.

Two new bed bug websites of note in one evening! What’s next?!?

1 parakeets March 26, 2008 at 8:19 am

I like beginning with the first step–tracking infestation data. I think accurate tracking information would quickly dispel many of the myths around about the “lack” of a bedbug problem in NYC. Accurately gathered counts hopefully would be reported in the news media and public education could begin. Actually, I agree with all the steps, but I really appreciat that first one.

2 lieutenantdan March 26, 2008 at 12:28 pm

It is a funny thing that it would take Rich Cooper a person who is not a reporter to be the one who does the reporting accuratlely providing information that a reporter should have had provided for the public.
Now that is journalism!
I know of a few reporters that could learn something from Cooper’s writing if only those reporters could tune down their ego a little and admit that they were wrong.

3 paulaw0919 March 26, 2008 at 9:47 pm

You hit he nail on the head with that one LtDan. From your mouth to Gods ears.

4 nobugsonme March 26, 2008 at 11:35 pm

I think Dan is referring to Richard Cooper’s excellent response to the Washington Post, available here.

5 fightorflight March 27, 2008 at 6:09 am

These “action items” seem well-formulated, hoping they stir some action.

Geezer dude at the Brooklyn Eagle will not be happy…

6 fightorflight March 27, 2008 at 6:29 am

Regarding Richard Cooper’s great letter to the Washington Post, I would just like to add this personal account –

Richard Cooper says in his letter, “Prior to 2004, presentations on bed bugs at the Entomological Society of America’s annual meetings were non existent.”

In 1999, I stayed on the futon couch of a friend in NYC. After a week, I knew I was being bitten (unlike my recent exposure) and was pretty sure it was bedbugs. Why? Well, I was used to using all kinds of economic furniture and travel measures and had never quite forgotten about BBs. Also, I have been exposed to many offensive insects in my life, so I’m a little wary.

I didn’t tell my friend, I just left and thought not too much of it. A year or two later, he blogged that he had bedbugs and had just bought a new bed at Macy’s. This was right about the time that newspaper articles started to run and highlighted the problem of delivery trucks spreading the bedbug problem by taking back old mattresses.

Subsequently, my friend spread bugs to his mother, best friend’s father and several other friends. I am only noting this story to illuminate that the problem was spreading before 2004 and that folks were very poorly educated about it. I am not a scientist, but this anecdotal evidence seems to say something about the statistical spread of the bugs and the importance of public awareness.

7 parakeets March 27, 2008 at 9:32 am

Wow, thanks for the Link to Richard Cooper’s letter to the Washington Post, Nobugs!

His was an excellent rebuttal to what has become an obvious media bias about bedbugs. The sad thing is that if steps are not taken now and the bedbug problem is not addressed, bedbugs will continue to spread at the alarming rate that those of us on this Board are sadly well aware of.

8 ethan Davidson January 25, 2009 at 4:58 am

It’s not just New York and Ohio. My building seems to have an infestation brewing in San Francisco. Nobody is talking about it. The law required the building to get an exterminator to spray three times. As for the rest, I’m on my own.
I’m copletly overwhelmed, being poor, disabled and in poor health. This aproach will not make the problem go away.