Remember when I said that a number of New York bedbuggers were organizing a plan to call for local officials to take action on the bed bug situation in NYC?
Well, it’s happening.
New York vs. Bed Bugs, (slogan: “NYC is the underdog!”) declares:
We believe that the city should lead the fight against bed bugs.
From Australia to Boston to Cincinnati to Toronto, local governments, public health officials and communities have already devised and implemented an impressive array of sensible solutions, policies and protocols to control the spread of bed bugs.
We believe that the city can adopt measures to combat bed bugs as a pressing quality of life issue and should utilize the tools and strategies of public health surveillance and education to achieve control of this economically important urban pest.
The city should immediately act to form a task force—with entomologists and urban pest management experts as advisers—to be charged with devising a comprehensive plan with specific attention to the following objectives:
* tracking infestations data;
* rolling out a comprehensive public education campaign;
* establishing clear bed bug control guidelines and policies;
* providing assistance to tenants, landlords and homeowners;
* facilitating and monitoring the specialized training of pest control officers and bed bug inspectors;
* implementing sensible mattress and used furniture regulations; and
* establishing trash collection protocols.
Check out newyorkvsbedbugs.org for more information.
Two new bed bug websites of note in one evening! What’s next?!?