Attention! Since this FAQ was written (2/2008) many advances have been made in detecting bed bugs using active and passive bed bug monitors. Active bed bug monitors are available which did not exist when forum users suggested the methods below. Canine scent detection (bed bug dogs) are also more common every day. Please read this FAQ for the latest on detection possibilities, and consider that much of the following may be mainly of historical interest. If you want a cheap detection solution, and if the design of your bed permits, BBAlert Passive Monitors or  ClimbUp Insect Interceptors may be a much better use of money, time and energy than the “handwarmer method” below. Bed Bug Beacon Active Monitors  actively attract bed bugs but in a more powerful way than the handwarmer method, using Co2 emitted over about 5 nights.  “Detecting Bed Bugs Using Bed Bug Monitors,” written by Changlu Wang, outlines options for detecting bed bugs, including tips on using ClimbUp Insect Interceptors and instructions on how to implement the active dry ice monitor Wang’s office developed. You can download it for free from the Rutgers website.  One person on our forums found the Bed Bug Beacon CO2 monitor to be more economical than the dry ice monitor, and many feel it would be easier and safer.

One of the biggest frustrations with bed bugs is that it is hard to know if you have them. You can be bitten quite badly for a long time before ever finding a bed bug. Bed bugs, bed bug cast skins, fecal spots and fecal specks can all be hard to find.

The best thing to do if you suspect bed bugs is to have a qualified pest control operator (PCO) search your home for them, carefully. You may have a PCO who searches and finds nothing. I assume you have already had a doctor rule out scabies, folliculitis, and other medical causes) and that your PCO has ruled out fleas and other biting pests.

While I do not recommend self-treatment for bed bugs, I do recommend trying to locate a sample yourself, especially if a pest control operator has looked but has not yet found evidence, or if the PCO wants to treat without evidence (this may seem great to you at the time, but you really should find out if bed bugs are the cause of your troubles before sinking in your money and time into getting rid of them).

We now have some ideas for bed bug traps to detect a problem. A few caveats:

• These methods are not foolproof. They could take time and having more traps out more frequently increases your odds of catching a culprit.
  • This does not significantly reduce your problem, not by a long shot, and is not in itself a treatment option. But detection is the first step in solving your bed bug problem.
  • This is not about capturing a live bed bug, but one for identification purposes. Live bed bug sampling can be done with what the British call a pooter, but you have to find a bed bug first. To read about these methods, see this forum thread.

The following are some do-it-yourself methods for getting a bed bug sample.

First, many Pest Control Operators will suggest or use glue traps, designed for mice, to catch bed bugs. Yes, bed bugs will be caught if they walk across them. But getting them to walk across such a trap is tricky. They could walk around it. And you may have no idea what routes they travel.

In a forum thread, PCO/Entomologist Sean, of the Bed Bug Resource, suggested adding an activated hand warmer to the center of the trap:

Take a mouse glue board (sold by pest professionals) and place an activated hot shot (hand warmer) in the centre. There are several brands of hot shots out there and to my knowledge they all should work. These give off both heat and carbon dioxide.

These are NOT 100% effective in every case.

I have never had it not work in a badly infested area, but surely there is the possibility that it may not work in a light infestation.

Keep in mind that bed bugs feed about once per week. Hot shots last about 12 hours. This means that you may have to put one out every night for a week before catching anything. Obviously multiple locations increases your odds.

Putting these traps in the room you think you’re being bitten in, at night, when you’re not (yet) there sleeping, might be good. Doing it when you are away for some reason might be even better (though we don’t recommend you sleep elsewhere in another room or building, as a general rule, since it can spread bed bugs). Remember to put them where pets can’t go, or to keep pets out of the room–they really are very, very sticky.

Hand warmers are sold under many brand names and used by outdoorspeople and people with medical problems (which should give you some idea where to find them). Glue traps are in the pest control section of a home store or available online. These are examples of glue traps and air activated hand warmers:

air-activated hand warmers:

glue boards:

Fourt, in another forum thread, described a rigged-up trap that worked:

I am setting up a crazy little trap up tonight. It’s really not a trap but rather a thing to lure them from returning to their hiding spaces. I have 2 pieces of old wood, not very large, I have drilled several shallow holes on one. Then Im going to cover the holes with the other piece of wood. Placing it close to the head of the bed. My theroy is they will check it out on their way back to where ever they are living. And decide this looks like a nice place to hang out and lay eggs. Then when they least expect it, I will lift off the top peice of wood and get them with my handy dandy garment steamer. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but I tell him to catch a bed bug you need to think like one. I will let you guys know how this works. I know I will not get rid of a infestation this way. But it may work as a monitoring tool.

And here’s the follow-up:

Well, my little wood trap worked. Found an almost mature bug bed in one of the holes. I steamed it with my garment steamer. It died in a instant. I steamed all of the wood incase there were eggs on it. I have set it up again and will wait and see what else happens.

And some tips:

The bed bug trap worked very well to catch them if they were around. If I was to do the trap all over again I would have used a slightly larger drill bit. One last thing regarding the trap. You must use real wood not plywood or MDF. Place the wood near the bed and see what happens. Make sure you have a way to catch them when checking the wood for BB. They can trot at a good clip.

Fourt’s trap reminded me of this trap idea hopelessnomo found. I was impressed by Fourt’s ingenuity, and happy it worked, though I have to stress that I think that luck plays more of a role in this method than Sean’s. There’s nothing to attract the bed bug in this case, except that it’s a form of wooden clutter with holes for hiding out, and it’s in the bed (no doubt to some degree appealing to bed bugs).

The bottom line is that Sean also has experience with his trap working again and again, and if I had to rig up a trap, I would try his glue trap/hand warmer method (and try it a number of times).

Another method of detecting (but not trapping per se) gets around the fact that bed bugs may be less likely to come towards you in bed with the lights on, and involves using red LED light to see bed bugs at night. NotSoSnug, resident “Cimex Hunter,” had great results with this. You can read about his methods here. They are effective, though their effectiveness depends on your ability to stay up (possibly most of the night) as well as your level of infestation. If you are not being bitten by lots of bed bugs, or being bitten elsewhere than the bed, or you simply would like to sleep, this is not such a great method. Since NotSoSnug was not able to sleep during this period, and did appear to have lots of bed bugs, it was very effective for him.

A red LED light was part of NotSoSnug’s toolkit for detecting bed bugs at night in bed.  They can be quite useful. Here’s a thread about this (including advice about obtaining useful red LED lights).

I welcome reports in the comments below from those who use one of these methods and find it successful.

Future prospects for bed bug traps?

My understanding is that a glue trap involving bed bug aggregate pheromones is in the works, but has been for years, and we should not hold our breath.

Simple glue traps are beginning to be marketed as bed bug traps. Don’t get excited at the simple mention of a bed bug trap for sale.

John F. Anderson at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station in New Haven is working with a rigged-together bed bug trap that is not commercially available. You can see glimpses of it near the end of this WTNH News 8 video Paula shared in the forums. We can hope something like it–or the plans for how to make one– is soon available to all of us.

Remember, too, that bed bug dogs are an option as an aid to finding a bed bug or detecting their presence. Dogs and their handlers cannot always help you find an actual sample, so if you do go this route, discuss with your landlord/PCO the necessity of a visible bed bug sample (and whether they will take the word of the bed bug dog handler), and discuss with your bed bug dog handler before hiring him/her the possibility of locating one if needed.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
1 pleasehelp February 19, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Thanks Nobugs! Question re Sean’s trap: You have a link to air-activated hand warmers. I’m not familiar with this type… I’ve seen the ones that are activated by crushing. Is it only the air activated ones and not the others that emit carbon dioxide?

2 nobugsonme February 19, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I could be wrong but I believe the crushing exposes the product to air. In the case of those above, it’s ripping the pack open (from what I gather). Which brand are you thinking of? Do you know it is not air-activated? Thanks!

3 pleasehelp February 19, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Actually I haven’t been shopping for any yet so don’t have a brand in mind. Just remember using them years ago in Japan…

4 nobugsonme February 19, 2008 at 2:15 pm

But do you think it’s possible the crushing exposed them to air, and they are indeed similar?

5 pleasehelp February 19, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I can’t remember if the outer material was porous. But I think the heat is generated by some kind of change in the crystalline structure. I have a re-usable heating pad that is a heavy plastic pouch of liquid that you boil. After it cools down, if you crush/disturb the liquid inside, it gives off lots of heat, and the liquid inside gradually crystallizes as it cools. The nurse at work used to have cooling packs that would get cold when you crushed/shook them. They were also sealed up in plastic.

6 nobugsonme February 19, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I don’t think those reusable plastic pouches would work, pleasehelp. You need to be sure the heater is giving off heat as well as CO2 (which the reusable item may not). Besides, it will be stuck to a glue trap, so something disposable might be better.

7 pleasehelp February 19, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Thanks nobugs, I wasn’t thinking of using the heating pad… just wondering about the disposable crushable hand warmers – haven’t even seen them to see if the outer wrapping is porous … will take a look.

8 mangycur February 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm

I think this is a great FAQ, nobugs.

9 nobugsonme February 22, 2008 at 1:39 am

Cheers, mangycur!

10 NotSoSnug March 4, 2008 at 2:39 am

Or you can wake up every hour all night and turn on your little red LCD lite and go hunting. So what’s the fun in having a passive trap I ask you!

11 JK March 12, 2008 at 9:23 pm

I found something in my apt that may be a bed bug. What can I do or where can I go to find out what it is? I’m in NYC.

12 nobugsonme March 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm

JK, there are people you can ask, but it may not even be necessary?
Did you look at the “photos of bed bugs” page?
If that does not confirm it for you, can you send us a photo?

13 Kevin M. Kirby June 9, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I don’t know if anybody at all can actually manage to deal with these bug-a-bed creatures without having to live through a room invasion by pesticide spreaders or the annoyance of a total shake-down of everything one owns and holds dear; but here’s my experience, since the big waves started appearing last month and still before the arrival of any sort of decontamination team.

Since first noticing the ankle bites 2 weeks ago, my method of bug defense has evolved into a daily “dawn patrol” of hunting the swarming pests who show up during sleep. It’s important to remember that this will involve using your own arms & feet as blood bait. Even so, for about a week my capture rate has now reached about twenty per day, mostly the tiny ones now.

At first there were far fewer, with about three caught from the wall and three on the matress. Now, they are almost all found on a down bedcover I use. A pair of unusually large ones showed up during an early wave; but now, most are of the smaller variety. One even had a large red bulb on its end, like it had forgotten to stop its blood feast and nearly exploded.

The main issue, of course, is how to treat the bites. A paste made of water & baking soda works wonder. I also apply aloe vera almost constantly on the bitten areas (around the elbows and ankles) and have recently found that hot running water chases off the miasma from flareups of itchiness.

And, of course, lots of aloe vera.

We’ll see what happens when the dph finally responds. Since my room contains, literally, a ton of books, vhs tapes, strewn clothing and electronic equipment of all varieties, it probably won’t be easy.

14 nobugsonme June 9, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Kevin,

If you are seeing and catching 20 bed bugs every morning, you have a very serious infestation (as you may realize).

You need professional treatment by someone who really knows bed bugs, ASAP. If traditional pesticides are used, it will likely take more than 3 treatments spaced no more than two weeks apart. If you are in a multi-unit building (or attached house), all neighbors will need to have a professional inspection and treatment (if needed).

Please come to the forums if you need support or want to discuss this with others.

Not sure where you are, or what the local department of public health’s stance is, but are you a tenant and have you notified your landlord?

15 Kevin M. Kirby June 10, 2008 at 6:19 pm

A friend of mine has notified the local (San Fran) health dept. I’m pretty sure the hotel’s manager is already aware of the infestation but I’ve not yet set him on my own room. He’s probably more concerned with other, less mobile tenants.

16 Kevin M. Kirby June 14, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Here’s some more recent info:

The DPH did a check of the mattress — no visible bedbugs. I showed him my jar — now filled with nearly a hundred — but the D.E. powder mix makes the color impossible to determine. He wants to put in sticky-traps to confirm before proceeding with the application of chemicals.

While moving books, I discovered dozens living *in the books* — that is, along the edges, singles and in groups of two-five. Lots of the tiny ones were back there, too.

To catch them is tricky, as they become highly evasive once they notice. I use two folded cards, one with two folds to create an area for them to be pried into. One card on either side. brought slowly together, can pull them off from wherever they are clinging.

This method works to get them onto a card, if they don’t manage to jump off. They can then be scraped off their new perch and into a jar of D.E.

Oddly enough, at about 3AM last night I noticed an extremely big specimen popping in and out of the molding, up near the ceiling. This one climbed right onto a bamboo stick I held up there. Was this some sort of “overbug” or something?

It would be nice if somebody other than myself were interested in this sort of thing, as the larger types may provide clues to this outbreak.

Meanwhile, I must now find a way to burn all my books in case the tiny ones still hide among them. Besides, the countless new spots seem unclean. Any value they once held is now lost, in all respects.

17 nobugsonme June 16, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Kevin,
I would strongly encourage you to have your samples verified as bed bugs by a reputable entomologist. Most university extensions have entomologists who can identify them. I don’t see why an expert could not ID a sample that had some DE on it.

Alternatively, since your DoH inspector cannot verify these are bed bugs, I would encourage you NOT to put samples in a jar of DE. Instead, put them in a jar and seal. I suspect 91% alcohol could also be used as a preservative and to prevent escape, but I am not an expert on this.

Clearly, you need to convince the DoH inspector that you have bed bugs.

18 flealux July 21, 2008 at 11:57 pm

i just recently went traveling, came home..and within a week starting getting like one bite every other night. i found one in my drawer of clothes that i had brought back from traveling, killed it and figured that was it. so i searched my room, the walls scrubbed everywhere, checked my mattress, noo sign of anything, laundered all of my clothing. and last night woke up with bites on my leg…i was going to wake up early to catch them in the act…but i dont think theres any infestation, because i would have a lot more bites..and would probably see an obvious sign of them on my mattress. what do you think???

19 bed-bugged August 5, 2008 at 11:53 pm

I have a few questions:
1) if some one wakes up with a lot of bites (i.e. over 100) how many bugs would you assume there are doing the biting? If you think a lot, would simple washing of the bed linens likely kill them all? My daughter woke up 4 days after we’d been back home from travels and had probably 100 bites. The hotel room was confirmed to have had bed bugs. We cleaned everything as instructed by Terminix, and when they came out to inspect and exterminate, they found nothing. Could we have really done that good a job? Or could there have been only a few bugs that would have bitten her many times each? Or could these bites have occurred at the hotel (where there were likely to be a bunch of bugs) and not shown up for 4 days?

2) how long could it take for bites to show up and cause itching?

3) how long could it take for new bugs to declare themselves after the house has been sprayed if they were not all killed?

4) what do you do for all of the books and paper goods that are in a room that has to be cleaned? does black-bagging and putting in the sun work?

5) does fabric-stuffs/clothing need to be washed or can it simply be dried on high heat?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

20 nobugsonme August 6, 2008 at 12:13 am

bed-bugged,

Each bug will feed once a week.

But sometimes bed bugs start feeding, are disturbed, so stop and start again. This can lead to two or three bites in a row (“breakfast, lunch, dinner). For this reason, it is not possible to know exactly how many bed bugs caused 100 bites. Probably no more than 100 bed bugs, but no less than 33. But I seriously doubt they were all biting three times. I suspect a lot of bed bugs. I’d venture a guess in the high end of that 33-100 spectrum.

a) If you think a lot, would simple washing of the bed linens likely kill them all?

In the room you were bitten? Not likely. They can be in the bed–mattress, box springs or frame– and also in the room itself and maybe other furniture.

b)Or could there have been only a few bugs that would have bitten her many times each?

No. Bed bugs need feed only about once a week. (Like I said, they can create more than one “bite mark” with a false start and stop, but many people don’t get bites in the 1-2-3 pattern, and their 100 bites might represent 100 bed bugs.)

c) Or could these bites have occurred at the hotel (where there were likely to be a bunch of bugs) and not shown up for 4 days?

Sure. We’re told that bites can take up to 9 days to appear.

But this does not mean you did not ALSO bring bed bugs home. It’s unlikely that you brought 33-100 bed bugs home, but you could have brought some. And if there are a few, they may not begin to show themselves, nor bite enough to be noticed, for some time.

2) how long could it take for bites to show up and cause itching?

Anywhere from hours to 9 days.

Impossible to answer. But if the home is sprayed, the sprays is unlikely to get all bed bugs. Eggs will likely survive. And then you will need a retreatment in 2 weeks.

No. See FAQs on getting bed bugs out of your stuff.

It can be dried — and for less time. See FAQs.

FYI–if others shared the room, do not assume they were not bitten if they have no bite marks. Many folks are not allergic or do not react at first.

If you brought a small number of bed bugs home, they’d be very hard for a PCO to find, since there may be few and because they are newly arrived. It does not mean you do not have an infestation if a PCO cannot visually detect a few bed bugs you just brought in.

If you have additional questions after reading the FAQs, please come to the forums:

21 ihatebedbugs August 6, 2008 at 11:58 am

Nobugsome-you seem to really know your stuff! I have read a lot of your posts and I appreciate all of your comments. My question relates to one of your answers to bed-bugged’s situation. We stupidly let a friend of ours stay with us after his bed bug infestation while he is waiting to leave town. We thought we were ok as he took the necessary precautions before arriving at our place (washing and drying everything on hot at least 5 times the infestation occurred etc). He unfortunately noticed a live bug on the floor in the bathroom on Thursday night and let us know. Thus, we spent the entire weekend bagging and preparing for the inspection that took place on Monday. We did not clean all of our clothes/linens yet, with the exception of the linens that were on both beds at the time(should we?) as it is such a daunting task to launder and dry clean everything. The PCO (Erhlich) came in on Monday and looked through the bedroom of our houseguest (checked all empty drawers, outlets, the bed, closets etc), along with our bed and futon from the living room and found no traces of anymore live bugs. We may have found a skin from a bed bug (but it’s hard to tell if it came from one) but absolutely no fecal matter or clusters of eggs. He recommended JT Eaton bedbug spray which I purchased and sprayed in the drawers, on the beds and bedframes and in the doorways. We took his advice, as we figured it would have been in his best interest to suggest we get the treatment and give him business (he didn’t charge us for the inspection either) if he really thought there was a problem.

We spent the next two days inspecting everything around us and have found no dead bugs. Then this morning my husband found bites on his ankles (looks sort of like the pictures) which may or may not be from bed bugs as he was in the woods this weekend on a trip. These bites are “new” pieces of information for us to deal with that weren’t present at the time of the inspection (My husband had been away all weekend and my houseguest and I hadn’t gotten bitten), so I am not sure what to do.

So my questions are:

1) The PCO told us to “wait it out” to see if there are any bugs after spraying the JT Eaton stuff. How long do we wait, especially now that the bites happened (which I understand now could have happened as long as 9 days ago)?

2) Is (a)one instance of bites (3 separate clusters), (b) one live bug that we saw in the bathroom which may or may not have traveled from the toiletries from our houseguest, and the (c) potential molten skin enough evidence to treat?

All thoughts on this matter is much appreciated as I want to be doing the right thing. If getting treated is the best measure, even though it is costly, we will do it.

22 nobugsonme August 6, 2008 at 12:09 pm

ihatebedbugs,

Please copy and paste your question into a post on our forums: http://bedbugger.com/forum

If you do this, I will respond there. But so will (probably) lots of other people.

23 buggedindallas August 27, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Wow. I’m reading all this and I wish I had the patience everyone does. Today I finally, after moving to a new apartment three months ago because the old one had bed bugs, sent a note to the apartment management office telling them my new place is uninhabitable. Yes, I screwed up. I brought a couch with me that I thought I’d treated. So this time NO furniture is coming with, and I’m getting a smaller place so I can afford to re-furnish it.

But at the new place I was told that the pest service could treat the place. Well, they’ve been out at least four times. I’m on my 3rd couch and 2nd bed. Still getting bit, and the pest service guys are scratching their (balls) heads because they can’t see any.

I’m going to try the air-heat thing on the sticky trap tonight and see if I can’t give them some evidence. Oh yeah, and the diatect powder doesn’t work either, just so you know, if you didn’t already that is. That was a waste of $100

24 nobugsonme August 28, 2008 at 2:24 am

hi buggedindallas,

Sorry you’re going through this.

Sofas can be very hard to treat. One Bedbugger sprayed his couch for 6 months before killing all the bed bugs. That’s a worst-case scenario, of course.

I have not used it, and I am not a fan of self-treatment (unless you’re supplementing the PCO’s work with their agreement), but some people in the forums have used diatect, they claim, with good results.

It is a dust, and dusts do not kill bed bugs that do not walk through them. If bed bugs are really harboring in your sofa, they may come up and bite you without encountering any of the dust. I am just speculating.

One problem may be that neighbors are infested and have not had this detected or treated. Also, your PCO may not know what they’re doing (it’s impossible to say from here). How often have they treated, at what intervals, and with which products?

If you want to discuss this further, it might be best to post your response in the forums where you’re likely to get more responses:

25 buggedindallas August 28, 2008 at 10:54 am

nobugs,

The powder didn’t work – I tried it as directed for two months. And last night with the sticky traps and heat packs nothing was stuck, but I did get bit six times throughout the night.

I’m at a point where I don’t mind starting over – since all my stuff is old and falling apart lol

I’m going to the apartment complex office tomorrow to follow up with them on the demand I made yesterday for a new apartment.

As far as the neighbors, this morning on my way out to the office I ran into one of them. He’s got no problems at all. At least it’s contained to my unit, which is good and I can use that as leverage – meaning I can say they’re in my place only so if the belongings in my place disappear so will the problem.

It’s been a fun ride, and I’ve learned a lot along the way, but the ride has come to an end and I’m going to start over in a new unit in a different building.

And as I said yesterday, the diatect powder did NOT work. I followed the instructions to the letter. Also, the powder DESTROYS vacuum cleaners. I’m going to throw out this one and to go Costco and get a new one for the new place. Another $100 down the drain, but it will be worth it.

The hard truth that I’ve found is that these things are INSANELY tenacious, and the only way I can be sure the problem is eliminated is to dispose of my furniture and start over in a new place. Of course I’ll be washing all clothing before it goes in there, but other than that, pretty much nothing fabric is coming with. The computer, VCR, DVD player, etc is coming, and kitchen stuff too. But the bed, the couch, the tables, the weight bench, the exercise bike (yep, been bit while on that too), the dresser…all of that is being disposed of. Not thrown in the dumpster, I know better.

No need for a response, just wanted this out there for everyone to see that stumbles across it. I’ve fought for at least 5 months (including at the old apartment) and it’s time to give in and let the little bastards win.

26 nobugsonme August 28, 2008 at 12:02 pm

buggedindallas,

Lots of people unfortunately manage to move bed bugs even taking very little, and nothing fabric.

Good luck and go to the forums if you want any advice from others who did move.

27 bklnbuggy September 10, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Hi There

I have been reading this site all morning. It gives me the itchies just reading! I realize now that some BBS are Jason Bourne, and some might not be. That being said, My friend visited her old apt (confirmed BB infestation) a 1.5 weeks ago on Thrusday, and then visited me a few days later on Monday for an hour on my couch in my bedroom. On Wednesday she got two bites on her wrist and found out her friends place was confirmed for BBs. I received multiple bites the night before she was bitten. However, I am the girl who gets 8-10 bites ::a night:: from being outside by mosquitos. seriously.

Exterminator (private) found no evidence of bbs and has planted sticky pads (which i will now add heaters to altho unsure which kind emits carbon dioxide), but my friends landlord unfortunately threw out her mattress/chair and sprayed ::by herself::. So there is no way for me to know if she has them since she is probably effed for knowing for sure now.

Last night I found nothing on my bed stickies/sheets, but I did find teeny weeny oblong skin-colored bugs on the stickies. 4-5 pads totaling 8-10 of those. are those baby bbs?????!!!! I havent been bitten since but now see that doesnt mean a thing! i get the prickly feeling on my couch, can baby bbs feed and cause itchiness?

If you think I have them, should I make my landlord switch to a different exterminator?

Also, I have a rabbit. cant ask enough questions about that. Can animals be allergic to bbs? She’s been sneezing.

28 bklnbuggy September 10, 2008 at 3:19 pm

p.s. the teeny bugs were found under my couch, which is where my friend sat. I also have a loft bed…possibly the babies don’t get up there that easily although I would think they would find me and my boyfriend since its a wood frame.

29 Nisha November 9, 2008 at 10:58 am

Hi there the place we were leaving before had bed bugs, we left everything and moved into a new house only with our clothes a week ago. We dried all the clothes we brought in the drier for a good 20 mins. But in our 6 year old daugthers room we found a “round” size of a pea blood stain on the pillow case and when we looked at the pillow had the same stain underneath. I guess if someone squished a bedbug it looks like that….but there was no “residue” you know like some sort of skin etc. I have a feeling it was a bed bug even though she hasnt been bitten yet.

PLEASE GIVE US SOME ADVICE, WHAT IS THERE WE CAN DO??? I’M ON THE NET CRYING MY EYES OUT BECAUSE I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO KEEP THEM OUT OF OUR LIVES FOREVER.

Here’s what I plan on doing today is use double sides tape around the mattress. But what else can I do? Looks like unless it’s a bad situation pest control cant find them??

Does this spray really work?

PLEASE HELP US :(

30 nobugsonme November 10, 2008 at 12:42 am

Nisha,

When you say, “pest control can’t find them,” have you had someone inspect? If you definitely had bed bugs before you moved, then I would assume that there’s some chance you brought bed bugs with you.

You need professional treatment by someone experienced with bed bugs. It is possible in many localities to hire a bed bug sniffing dog to detect bed bugs.

Please post your question in our forums where you will get more responses and support:

31 Phil November 14, 2008 at 9:27 am

A bedbug detection device, the CDC3000, has been developed and will be available from Cimex Science in Portland, Oregon. More information and contact is available at http://www.cimexscience.com

32 bugged out November 19, 2008 at 7:55 pm

I found two black insect shell casts about 5 mm. One was in my daughter’s bedroom and the other was found in the vacuum cleaner. What color are the remnants of these bugs? She had some bites near her hips and a few down her leg.

33 February 2, 2009 at 4:59 am

OK, I am sorry to post a question here. I know I need to go to the forum.
I have been trying.

My nerves are so upset right now. I have been reading this site all night and itching.

I did join, and been reading the forums, but I haven’t been able to comment.

When I get my nerves settled and can sit down to figure it out, I promise, I will.

BUT, Please help at the moment. PLEASE!!

I don’t even know where to start.lol And it ain’t funny.

The first thing I would like to know, if anyone can tell me, if my dog can get bite. I am sure he can, but I can’t find anything on it.

He has been itching so so bad. And it is not fleas.
Now, my husband and I have been getting we thought white heads on our face. But, clear fluid is all that would come out, and it felt like a hard dot or something in the middle. The pictures match us.

Now it is on our arms and legs and his back. After I cleaned out from under the bed and dressers, that had not been done in a while.lol

I have been trying to figure out what to do first.
I know I need to make sure, I haven’t found one yet. But I am going to try one of the tips listed today.

If you can just help me out with my dog for one thing, and suggest any ideas as to what I can do for him.
I would be forever grateful, and I will try and figure my posting on the forum in a little while and talk atcha there.

34 nobugsonme February 3, 2009 at 1:57 am

Anonymous,

You must not do anything unless you are sure you have bed bugs. You need a positive ID. If you live in certain areas, and you are renting your home, your landlord may be responsible for dealing with bed bugs. If so, then s/he may be able to get a pro in to inspect and treat if necessary.

If you are responsible, there are two good options for detection: a good PCO who will take lots of time inspecting. A small apartment, we’re told, can take more than an hour to carefully inspect. Bed bug sniffing dogs are a second option.

Both of these will cost money. And a human who inspects carefully can be hard to find (we’re told) depending where you live.

You could also read up some of the resources in our links section, and learn how to do an inspection yourself. You won’t do as good a job, but if money is an issue, this is an option.

It’s best to get a pro with lots of bed bug knowledge in to inspect and treat.

And whatever you do, don’t start cleaning like mad, tossing things out, or spraying everywhere. A lot of us panic and do this, but you can make things worse, or make it such that the PCO cannot inspect. And you can also spread bed bugs, or toss out things needlessly. Be calm. You will figure this out and get through it.

The best reason to go to the forums is that many more people will give you advice there. When you’re ready, just click this link.

35 nobugsonme May 13, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Added alert above directing people to newer “detection” FAQ.

Comments are now closed. Please come to the Bedbugger Forums if you have questions or need support.

{ 2 trackbacks }