only in Greenpoint: m. with bed bugs, 4 w. with “herpes”

by nobugsonme on November 30, 2007 · 12 comments

in bed bugs

Greenpoint’s Boulevard Tavern was the site of a special meeting, recorded in this “missed connections” ad on Craigslist:

I had bedbugs, you had herpes – m4w – 29
Reply to:
Date: 2007-11-29, 7:27PM EST

Damn, I wish I had that converstation to do over again. We met at Boulevard Tavern where people were wishing Harold a happy birthday. We both had a little too much to drink, and began discussing “deal breakers”. It just so happened that this was a day or so after I awoke with what felt like mosquito bites on my arms and shoulders, and I told you that I thought those might be bedbug bits. You told me that you would never sleep in a bed that had bedbugs or with a man who slept with bedbugs and I, offended, told you that I would never sleep with a woman who ever had an outbreak of herpes. So then you stalked off, leaving me with my PBR to wonder how an evening that began with such promise could go so badly.

OK, first of all, I got rid of most of my bedding, washed the rest in very hot water, encased the mattresses in vinyl encasements, and brought in an exterminator. He is convinced from the pattern and number of bites that it was a SPIDER that got me, not bedbugs. It’s been six days since I last got bit, and if there were bedbugs there, I’d have been bitten every night since. Didn’t happen, so maybe it was a spider or a mosquito. No matter, the place has been cleaned and sprayed, so there is less chance of bedbugs here than wherever else you might choose to end up. As far as the herpes crack goes, I don’t know if you have it or not, but I use condoms, and you could use valtrex, so why should this stop us? I felt a connection with you, a real one, a surprising one. It isn’t often that a man like me, living in SoHo with all those pretentious artist types, managing a mutual fund, gets to meet a girl with your look and sensitivities. I think there is something there between us worth pursuing, and we should not let the false possibility of bedbugs or blisters get between us. Write back. I want a mulligan.

* Location: Williamsboard/Greenpoint
* it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 493706127

While it does not sound like she actually had herpes, I do think you may still have bed bugs. I don’t think it was a spider. But you should know in a month or so, Mr. m4w.

Thanks to the anonymous Bedbugger who provided the screenshot. Click the image and select the largest size to read it in all its glory, if you missed your connection with seeing the original, live. Oh, and you bet we voted it “best of Craigslist.”

And here’s a shout out to newyorkshitty and Greenpointers, two fine Greenpoint blogs.

Originally uploaded by nobugsonme

1 James Buggles November 30, 2007 at 11:43 pm

Spiders rarely bite more than once, and rarely bite period. And their bites hurt rather than itch. But mosquitos are a possibility.

2 persona-non-bugga December 1, 2007 at 3:23 am

He lives in Soho? Maybe he took over Maya Rudolph’s old loft.

3 persona-non-bugga December 1, 2007 at 3:27 am

Not implying that bedbugs are so rare in Soho that they’d only be in one apartment.

BTW, any news on what came of Maya R’s lawsuit?

4 nobugsonme December 1, 2007 at 4:52 am

Good catch, persona.

I like how he managed to get his classy neighborhood and high-paying job description into the post, along with mystery bites and bitchy-comment-remorse.

5 nobugsonme December 1, 2007 at 5:39 am

No–have not heard any update on Maya. We rarely hear follow-up on lawsuits, and when we do, it’s with much less fanfare than their announcements. (Does this mean people often settle out of court and that not making a fuss is part of the deal?)

6 nomorebugs December 1, 2007 at 5:54 pm

If I didn’t have the experience of bed bugs, this would have been very funny.

7 blue_ox December 2, 2007 at 12:30 am

The apartment search in the Times column “the Hunt” once again features a couple who move out of one apartment, do a horrendous apt. search and end up in a crappier one that has bedbugs. This is the second article in the Hunt series that mentions Bedbugs this season. today’s Times

8 nobugsonme December 3, 2007 at 2:40 am

Thanks, blue_ox. More on that here.

9 hopelessnomo December 3, 2007 at 6:05 pm

New York magazine’s Neighborhood Watch picked this up via newyorkshitty (plus another bedbug no-no in Jackson Heights): Love and Herpes, in Greenpoint

10 nobugsonme January 5, 2008 at 11:49 am

A post on the Huffington Post (which is soon to be retitled the Bed Bug Post, since they seem to be one of the few media outlets of any kind that mentions bed bugs regularly) yesterday implies the same Craigslist post has been resubmitted with some editorial flourishes. Read carefully: it’s not the same post, and HP did not just omit the profanity:

{ 2 trackbacks }