Lou Sorkin’s bed bug colony (video)

by nobugsonme on October 6, 2007 · 9 comments

in bed bugs, entomologists, videos of bed bugs

Video of Lou Sorkin’s bed bugs, in full motion and technicolor.

Warning: This is not for the feint of heart or those with a current, active infestation.

Lou says,

I had just finished feeding the colony, but not all got to eat and are now busy moving about looking for me. You can see that are many smaller unfed nymphal instars crawling about plus larger ones (adults, too) that come in the picture once in a while. The cardboard moves because there are so many bugs moving about between the slats.

And here they are, fed, and so moving more slowly:

Thanks Lou!

1 lieutenantdan October 8, 2007 at 9:45 am

I would love to see this but I am not able to access it. I am on an apple with 10.4.8 operating system. Is anyone else having this problem?

2 nobugsonme October 8, 2007 at 12:53 pm

I am on a Mac too. I am glad to find we are in agreement about our operating system. 😉

What web browser are you using?
Anyway, you can also view the videos here: it is the first two videos that are listed.

3 lieutenantdan October 8, 2007 at 1:56 pm

Yes that makes me glad too.
Safari and/or FireFox. Also I am not able to access through your “here” link, the company denied access. I need to see this. Any ideas?

4 nobugsonme October 8, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Well, I am not sure if youtube requires you to allow cookies. But I’d try allowing them.

5 October 20, 2007 at 4:24 pm

To most with infestations, I’m sure that is discusting, but I find it amazing how many BB are in such a small area.
I have been searching for some time,to no avail to aquire some BB for study & research. Any suggestions?

6 nobugsonme October 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Are you an entomologist?
If not, then it’s probably good you have a hard time getting ahold of them.
They’re a mild form of bio-weapon, after all.

7 October 20, 2007 at 8:06 pm

I never thought of it as being a weapon & I would be at the greatest risk, if they got out in my home. That makes me wonder if, when I was attacked by body lice this summer
while on a cruise ship(company paid) if that would have been a bio-weapon? Especially any insect that can be a carrier or vector of diseases.

8 nobugsonme October 21, 2007 at 12:37 am

Well, I do not mean they are likely to carry disease (at this time, this has not been proven).

But seriously, would we want just anyone to have access to jars of bed bugs? People might use them for malicious intent. It is best to let professionals do the research. Why do you want bed bugs to experiment on?

If they got out in your home, everyone who knows you would be at risk.

{ 1 trackback }