ad on Craigslist: new bed bug documentary

by nobugsonme on August 31, 2007 · 7 comments

in bed bugs, craigslist, new york

This Craigslist ad, posted on August 24th, asks for interviewees for a bed bug documentary:

It says,

Reply to:
Date: 2007-08-24, 7:54PM EDT

We’re in the research stage of a documentary film
on the growing bed bug problem in New York City.
Award winning director internationally exhibited (Cannes 2007)
If you have bedbugs have survived bedbugs or know
someone who has we’re interested in talking with

Please respond with the best way to contact you.
Your privacy respected, discretion assured.

* Location: NYC
* it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 405308738

I won’t make any snide comments about how advertising on Craigslist is a good way to find people who have had bed bugs. Oops! I just did! Hee hee.

Seriously, though, a bed bug doc from someone who’s exhibited at Cannes sounds good.

Thanks to Bugalew for the tip!

1 James Buggles August 31, 2007 at 4:38 pm

The more media, the better even if the film contains errors or trivializes the problem. Silence is worse than imperfect media.

2 nobugsonme August 31, 2007 at 4:41 pm

I agree completely, James.

(My comment about Craigslist is a nod to the fact that many people are spreading bed bugs via things–sofas, mattresses, even in one case apparently a computer–sold via Craigslist.)

3 James Buggles August 31, 2007 at 5:45 pm

If you’re referring to Donna Porter, that computer came from eBay, not Craigslist. But I agree both are to blame for the problem. Let’s take a look at some dates:

1972: DDT banned
1978: Airlines deregulated
1998: eBay becomes a public company
1999: Craigslist founded
1999: Bed bug resurgance begins according to Winston

(My Winston date might be off as I cannot find his original post.)

4 nobugsonme August 31, 2007 at 8:21 pm

Hi James,

No–I wasn’t thinking of Donna Porter, though eBay is clearly a culprit too. I think Craigslist is more dangerous in some ways because of the beds and sofas it helps sell and give away.

The computer I was thinking of was that of someone who emailed me.

I don’t want to alarm the newbites, since computers and electronics are not the first place bed bugs go to hang out. Most people fighting bed bugs don’t have problems with that, from what I gather. But in a serious infestation (sometimes in normal cases, if bug bombs are used and disperse them), they can be everywhere and in anything.

But it’s a reminder you don’t want to buy or get anything from an infested home, not just furniture.

5 e September 7, 2007 at 4:08 am

i want to be in the documentary!

6 nobugsonme September 7, 2007 at 10:32 am

You should contact those folks!

7 Caryn September 7, 2007 at 4:01 pm

I’m just seeing this now. Did anyone successfully get in touch with these people? I’d like to throw my name in the hat too, but the craigslist email doesn’t work anymore and I can’t find a similar current ad. Thanks.