Saudi Arabian tragedy: a reminder to use pesticides appropriately and as labeled

by nobugsonme on August 14, 2007 · 6 comments

in bad ideas, bed bugs, DIY bed bug treatment, pesticides

This is just horrible. The Arab News reports that in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, two sisters died tragically and a third is hospitalized after their father used an industrial insecticide not meant for home use, in an attempt to kill bed bugs in their home.  The product was sold in a local store.

1 Winston O. Buggy August 14, 2007 at 12:04 pm

“after their father used an industrial insecticide not meant for home use”
Darwin 1 common sense 0 thats why it says read and follow the label.
Unfortunately it is often the misuse of a material which leads to it’s untimely
demise. If one total release aerosol (bomb) treats 6000 cubic feet why are
people surprised when using three in the kitchen ends up involving the fire dept.
When people spread Demon powder around; which is supposed to be mixed with a gallon of water and applied to cracks and crevices, why the wonder why the cough or trip to the ER for an asthma attack. The trick to pest control is to get the pest and not the rest. Gasoline, cyanide, vikane, vaponite will all kill bed bugs dead. But what are the consequences if misused.

2 nobugsonme August 14, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Amen, Winston!

Sadly, this sort of thing has got to be more common where people do not read the local language. So in NYC, those who do not read English (or in some cases Spanish) may be misusing pesticides, since directions are hard to come by.

3 Winston O. Buggy August 14, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I will tell you I read labels professionally and am familiar with the concepts and technical language and I sometimes have to read a label more than once.
In terms of professional use sometimes it seems like that old legal document
adage… the large print giveth and the small print taketh away ………….

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: