CBS2 news in Chicago reports that a family in St. Charles, Illinois, believes they got bed bugs from a $10 flea market nightstand. First the little girl, then mom Amanda Thor and the baby were all bitten by bed bugs. (Click on the top right to view the video.)
Less than a week after the infestation began Thor figured out that the nightstand was the culprit.
“So the $10 nightstand is now about a $3,000 nightstand,” Thor said after having spent thousands to have the bugs eradicated from her home.
Thor says at times she thought the bed bugs might actually take over her house.
“We really thought about boarding up and just moving,” she said.
Instead, Thor and her family had to leave their home for a day while it was sealed and treated.
The description says they evacuated for a day while the home was “sealed and treated”; this implies they had their home gassed with Vikane, though the article does not state this directly, and there may be other possibilities (such as thermal treatment).
It won’t be long before “flea markets” become known as “bed bug markets.”