“bed bugs,” the movie

by nobugsonme on July 13, 2007 · 7 comments

in bed bug art, bed bugs

This isn’t what you’re expecting. It’s a new, 17-minute horror short written and directed by Sean Carley. Warning, it’s kind of gross–it is a horror movie after all. But it’s not gross or scary in a Cimex Lectularius kind of way. It’s relevant, but I haven’t quite figured out how.

Check it out.

1 Bugalina July 13, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Nobugs…This movie is pretty scary…I do not recommend that anyone going thru an active infestation watch it. I think I am going to have bad dreams tonite !!

2 nobugsonme July 14, 2007 at 1:04 am

Bugalina, I had no trouble distancing myself because they weren’t actually bed bugs. But on many other levels I could relate… it is scary.

3 James Buggles July 14, 2007 at 8:57 pm

I thought it was a bed bug? A 3 foot long mutant bed bug? Anyway, for a better film that explores similar themes rent Donnie Darko, which features a giant bunny rather than a giant bed bug.

4 Bugalina July 14, 2007 at 10:33 pm

I think it was a dust mite…but the bloody exaggerataed bites on her body was more in keeping with bed bugs….when she looked at her bed…knowing the monster bug was there…it made my skin crawl…because a bed becomes a nitemare when it is infested with bed bugs…and when she wakes up with a bloody bite mutilated body…it painted a psychic picture of what bed bugs do…

5 nobugsonme July 14, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Warning: spoilers!

She hears a news report about dust mites and says “bed bugs,” so I assumed this was another case where the people making the film did not know about the difference.

I think it’s a metaphor for something besides bed bugs. I could identify to a degree with the horror of being bitten, but remember, she “feeds” her bug. She puts the soup down for it, and near the end she promises to get a new job so she can feed it better.

And then, the surprise, twist ending…

6 Bugalina July 14, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Do you remember Renfield..the character from Dracula ??? He ate bugs…In the end she survives and the bug doesn’t….I agree that the films main “plot” wasn’t bed bug driven…but..maybe, without realizing it, the film touched upon the hellish experience of a bug living in your bed and violating your body…..I would do anything to get the bugs out of my bed…even if it meant chewing them to death…Survival of the fittest !!!

7 nobugsonme July 15, 2007 at 1:03 am