Furniture scavenging: does it appeal, in the age of bed bugs?

by nobugsonme on June 29, 2007 · 12 comments

in bed bug prevention, bed bugs, consumers, dumpster diving, furnishing bedbug-free homes, furniture

Well, I know what your answer is, of course!

But I am glad to see Maxwell at covering this question as a poll. I think it’s great AT is taking bed bugs seriously. After all, it’s a home and design blog. Nothing, nothing screws up a home (or design scheme) like bed bugs.

Check it out.

1 BBsBlow June 29, 2007 at 11:05 am

Not to mention your life! LOL

2 hopelessnomo June 29, 2007 at 11:07 am

Hey Nobugs, did you see the comment referencing the Vancouver story? The person repeated the mischaracterization of the source of the problem in Vancouver. People believe what they read and the official sources. Why shouldn’t they? Linking bedbugs to the sneakiness of married people is so irresponsible. Anything that reinforces the stigma and shame of bedbugs, anywhere, affects the rest of us.

3 nobugsonme June 29, 2007 at 11:33 am

Hey Anonymous–I know you’re a forums user, and you may not be trying to be anonymous ;-). If the blog isn’t recognizing you try hitting logout on the top right, and logging back in again via the same link (which will morph into “login” once you logout). The same login works here as at the forums.

Nomo, you mean Patrick’s comment about being cautious about picking “anyone up off the street”? I did not think they were referencing the story, but maybe you’re right.

4 hopelessnomo June 29, 2007 at 11:57 am

No, right above that one, from k2, with a link to the CBC story.

5 BBsBlow June 29, 2007 at 12:09 pm

It’s me, Blow. Nope, not trying to be anonymous! Technology doesn’t like me lately.

6 nightshirt June 29, 2007 at 12:45 pm

i have recently seen plenty of mattresses on the streets awaiting pickup. i wonder though – not every one does have bb’s i nthem. people may just be getting a new one and need to dispose of the old one.

maybe sufferers and non-sufferers alike should take to labeling their thrown out curbside goods.

get everone alike involved.

7 nobugsonme June 29, 2007 at 4:09 pm

All of your identical messages have now been sent to the spam file. Please refrain from advertising your products and services on this site.

If you wish to join a conversation about bed bugs, you are welcome to, but posting the same message, unrelated to the discussion at hand, over and over, is considered spam, and will not be tolerated.

8 nobugsonme June 29, 2007 at 4:51 pm

I stand corrected–I missed that part of k2’s post.

9 oncebitten2wiceshy June 30, 2007 at 10:38 pm

How can I leave a question on this site?

10 nobugsonme July 1, 2007 at 3:31 am

Hi Once,

You just did!
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

You can post to the forums (forum button top right).

People can also email me
nobugs at bedbugger dot com

I can’t always answer personal emails but I will try.

11 Winston O. Buggy July 1, 2007 at 9:53 am

A spiritual thought for a Sunday morning from
Spiracles 6:13 ” God forgive us for transgressions
committed both knowingly and unknowingly”
This may fool a deity but not bed bugs.
Just a reminder to beware of all the pre owned, antique
furniture and mattresses that are out there smartly
packaged yet hungry with savings. One can still see the mattress
vans ( the black helicopters of BBs) combing the streets despite
council hearings. While we may not look for bb bargins there are
people who do it for you Caveat Emptor!

12 nobugsonme July 1, 2007 at 11:22 pm

Spiracles sounds like a buggy scripture, Winston.

Yes, you speak the gospel of Bedbuggers. I commented in a similar vein on the AT comments–people need to “think different” (as Apple used to say);

It’s not the dumpiness of the dumpster that you find it in, it’s the secondhandness of the stuff, that mean it may be infested– so antique stores, estate sales, thrift stores and NYU dumpsters are all suspect.