bite photos

by nobugsonme on June 25, 2007 · 30 comments

in bed bug bites, bed bugs

Bug_Bites_008.jpg

Bedbuggers,

The bed bug bite photos page is turning out to be one of the big attractions at our site.

Since it obviously is a resource folks need, I want to keep expaning it. If you have clear photos of your own bites (they can’t be from a cameraphone or otherwise small), please consider adding them. If you host them on flickr or another site from which we can link to the image, then simply email me with the links. If you can’t do this, then you may send me a photo or two to be added to my flickr page.

I’d especially appreciate it if you’d look at the page and see if the bites there look like yours. Tell us in a comment below this post which person’s bites look like yours–and if none do, but you’re sure they’re bed bug bites, and you’re still being bitten, then please snap some good shots. (Remember, if you have not verified beyond a doubt that bed bugs caused your problem, then it probably is not helpful to post the photos: you just never know.)

Thanks for making Bedbugger a useful resource for others!

IMG_2664 - Bedbug devil bite

Bassomeijer’s bite, shaped like a devil. Anyone else got photos of bites in formation, that look like something else?

1 James Buggles June 25, 2007 at 4:07 pm

As usual, this site has taken it upon itself to provide what the entomology community has not. Most university entomology sites contain very few photos at tiny resolutions, very few videos that run just a few seconds, and not much in the way of research notes and papers. They’re not taking advantage of the Web.

Though he doesn’t work at a university, Lou Sorkin is the exception though I wish he had let his video camera run longer since YouTube allows up to 10 minutes.

2 nobugsonme June 26, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Aww James, I thought we _were_ part of the entomology commnunity!?!
🙂

3 Monica Long July 6, 2007 at 1:10 pm

My bite doesnt look like that, but it is a round circle about the size of a dime. On my butt so will have to get someone else to take pic.

4 nobugsonme July 6, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Monica,
Did you look at the rest of these:

We’d love to add more. The fact is, different peoples’ bed bug bites look different.

5 Donna Rose March 18, 2008 at 9:35 am

My son is a year and a half and woke up with a red spot on his face. At first it looked like he just slept on it wrong but the spot stayed throughout the day. The next day it had bumps and they where a little white topped. Now it is four days after I noticed the spot and have been putting triple-antibiotic cream on the spot and the redness around it is gone but the bumps look as if they what to form scabs and it seems to be iching. Do you think it is a case of bed bugs? This has happened before but not on the same bed or even in the same house, all the furniture is different. I would send pictures but my camera is broken.

6 nobugsonme March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Donna,
Other conditions such as scabies should be ruled out by a doctor.
If it is bed bugs, you cannot determine this from the appearance of bites. Other problems can look and feel similar.
It is also is not possible to diagnose based on your description of when and where the skin condition started.
If the doctor rules out medical conditions, I’d have a pest control operator search for bed bugs.

7 Todd Indehar August 11, 2008 at 12:13 am

Is it possible for two people to sleep in the same bed together and for one person to regularly be bitten and the other person never bitten?

Thanks.

8 nobugsonme August 11, 2008 at 12:50 am

Todd,

It is possible.

But it seems more probable that both are being bitten and one is not allergic and the other is.

9 W. August 18, 2008 at 4:43 am

Is there a place in NYC where I can send some bugs I collected for testing? I have to be sure if they are bedbugs. If they are then I am sure that mice brought them in because we have a mouse problem. Very upset.

W.

10 nobugsonme August 18, 2008 at 4:10 pm

W.,

Most large NYC Pest Control firms will identify bed bugs for you if you visit their offices. If you’re concerned, you can call and ask first.

Obviously, make sure the samples are taped to an index card (or otherwise immobilized).

11 Julia August 31, 2008 at 12:59 am

I just got back from Kaanapali, Maui where I stayed for 6 nights. I did get a mosquito bite here and there but one of my legs had two-by-two bumps up the front of the calve and the condition of bumps itched became red and are still raised. I am back in California and I was almost afraid to view the pics…but the girl’s leg (covered in the red pus bumps two-by two) looks EXACTLY like my leg and my son said,”Mom, did you put your leg on the website?” I am freaking out and want to complain to Kaanapali Shores Resort for poor housekeeping!! How do I treat these???

12 nobugsonme August 31, 2008 at 2:53 am

If they are open as in the first photo above, you might want to see a doctor to make sure they aren’t infected.

They will go away (try not to itch)– and we have a FAQ on remedies for itching.

Most of all, though, look at the FAQS on avoiding bringing bed bugs home after you encounter them.

Take what precautions you still can — in case they came back in your luggage or clothing, they may not yet have gotten far.

And come to the forums if you have further questions or need support!

13 Carla November 10, 2008 at 2:00 pm

I have been staying at a friends taking care of their cat. Everytime I stay there I am bitten like crazy! At first I thought it was mosquitos or fleas, but I looked the cat over and she is clean. I have read that fleas bits around the ankles. I am familiar with fleas and haven’t seen any of them.

Could these be bedbugs? There are so many bites that I get and they aren’t as big as mosquito bites. They seem to be small, red, and very itchy! They bite in clusters, 3-4 up to 12-15! They bite me all over (even my scalp!) and I have washed the sheets over and over. Nothing seems to be helping.

How do I find out what these bugs are and what to do? Where did they come from?

Please help.

14 nobugsonme November 10, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Hi Carla,

Please read some of the FAQs which should answer your questions. Your friends will need to get their home inspected by a knowledgeable professional.

If bed bugs are found and they’re in a multi-unit building, all adjacent units (top, bottom, all sides) will need inspection and treatment if infested.

15 Deziree December 3, 2008 at 2:55 am

i have all thes little patches that itch but only on my lowers arms and head i dont know what to do or how to stop it. Please help me

16 nobugsonme December 3, 2008 at 4:14 am

Deziree,

If you have a confirmed case of bed bugs (= either you have seen bed bugs and had someone confirm that’s what they are, or a pest control professional has found them, or signs of them) then you need a professional with knowledge of bed bugs to treat your home and get rid of them.

If you have not confirmed the rash is caused by bed bugs, you need someone who knows bed bugs to inspect carefully.

You also need to see a doctor to rule out other causes of these rashes. There could probably be lots of explanations.

Come to the forums if you want to discuss this further or if you want advice from others with bed bugs:

17 Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 11:12 am

I know that our 15 unit buliding has two confirmed cases of bedbugs. One is two floors above us and on our apartment line. The other is on that same floor but not on our line. i also know that he guy below us had them about 8 months ago but has not seen a resurgence. We thought we had bed bugs and found some and saved them for the exterminator. But the exterminator told us they were spiders. We cleared out everything and found about 10 baby spiders in our closet. We exterminated for bed bugs regardless. One month later my husband got two big welts, one on each side of his neck. I got two bites on two different fingers, a bite on my ankle and two bites on one arm. I found one of those spiders again but I am wondering if a spider can do that much damage? Is it possible we have bed bugs? How probable is it that we will aquire these if there is a prevelance of them in our building and our neighborhood?

18 uh-oh January 17, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Hi. Question: So, I can’t seem to find any picturs of what bedbug bites look like when someone ISN’T allergic and doesn’t have a huge reaction. I was exposed to bedbugs in the past few months and have a fear I’ve brought them home with me.

I am itching, but not badly, but itching nonetheless generally around areas where there are tiny, tiny small red dots that make it look like I was pricked by a tiny pin. They are almost ALL in groups of threes, which could be an incredible coincidence, but it has me worried.

Anyone have experience with non-allergic bites, or know where I could find photos? Thanks.

19 nobugsonme January 18, 2009 at 2:05 am

uh-oh, Some people with mild reactions describe what you’re describing.

The thing is no one –no matter what their skin looks like — can diagnose bed bugs on the bites alone. I recommend either a very careful human, or a reputable bed bug k9, to inspect you home.

And make sure a doctor rules out other causes of such skin problems.

20 judy bowman January 20, 2009 at 11:48 am

can bed bugs travel from motel to motel

21 nobugsonme January 20, 2009 at 3:24 pm

judy,

They can travel with people or in stuff. So yes, they can go where a person or a thing can go. It’s pretty much wide-open.

22 Dominic February 27, 2009 at 5:44 am

Hi,

I am getting red marks (that do not itch), that primarily are on just my hand, (had a couple on my feet). They are not clustered but would have one on my nuckle on one finger, and maybe another on the top half of the next finger (if i can get some pictures of this i will). Years and years ago, in another property we did get infested, and there were 100’s, not a nice sight.
Now i have been checking the mattress, pillows, we have a metal bedframe so nowhere really for them to hide in there, but can’t find anything. I wake in the night and check with a spotlight but see nothing.
Could this be bite marks of our least favourite friends?

23 Dominic February 27, 2009 at 5:54 am

I should say that normally, these marks appear in the morning when i wake up, but usually go anytime between 4-12 hours later.

24 Laura March 26, 2009 at 9:02 am

one morning i woke up and i had about two or three red bumps on my leg. and during the day they start spreading during the day. through my whole body and my hands. and they also itch really bad and just won’t stop.

so do u think this could bed bug bites or something else? if so could send me pictures for bed bug bites? or if u know it is something else, please send me pictures so i know what to do with these bites or whatever they r. please i would really like that u did. thank you very much.

25 nobugsonme March 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Hi Laura,

Click here for the page with more extensive bed bug bite photos. However, bed bug bites look different on everyone, and not everyone even reacts to bed bug bites. No one can say, based on your skin condition, whether it is definitely from bed bugs.

You need to see a doctor to rule out folliculitis, scabies or another condition.

If not, you need to detect whether your home is infested with bed bugs. For advice on this, see our FAQs; you can also ask questions on the forum.

26 chuck Black March 30, 2009 at 2:34 pm

we have bed bugs in marion Indiana. We are totally freaked have any advice.

27 nobugsonme March 30, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Chuck,

Please see our FAQs (button at top of page).

If you have further questions, come to the forums (button at top right that says “forums”).

28 Kykeshia April 16, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I have had bed bugs before but they were not as bad as the pic….

29 Angelo April 8, 2010 at 1:19 am

yea i have a question i was living in a house that was infested with bed bugs i saw them and everything but i never got bite only my wife and we were sleeping in the same bed. When i moved i did all the steps from vaccum and useing boiling hot water to wash my clothes etc… Now its been around 1month and all of a sudden my wife is starting to get little red dots around her feet. The “so called bites” dont itch or isnt melt up or anything. Could this be another case of bed bugs for me?

30 nobugsonme April 8, 2010 at 8:12 am

Angelo,

Many people do not react to bed bug bites.

It is very easy to take bed bugs when you move. Vacuuming and applying hot boiling water to things may be of some value, but it is not sufficient to ensure you did not bring bed bugs with you to your new apartment.

In your home, you need careful bed bug treatment from an experienced professional who knows a lot about bed bugs. Please come to our forums to discuss this further: http://bedbugger.com/forum/