DIY public education campaign

by nobugsonme on May 16, 2007 · 22 comments

in bed bug education, bed bug treatment, bed bugs, bed bugs and real estate, information and help, photos, tools and weapons

It’s sad that people are so poorly informed about bed bugs. In a multi-unit dwelling, unless your neighbors know as much as you do about bed bugs, it is hard to eradicate them. I have often encouraged people to print up information for neighbors with warnings and information about bed bugs. I am not sure anyone has done that. But I was glad to see this.
What’s pictured represents only instructions on disposing of infested stuff, itself a huge part of the multi-unit “problem.”

Information on how to spot bed bugs, the need to follow prep instructions to a T, and the need to report bed bugs promptly — and perhaps a reminder, if it’s relevant, that the landlord is responsible for payment — would all be useful in many cases.

Thanks to Bedbugger Kurt for alerting us to this photo.

1 Bugalina May 16, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Why in the world do all of you think that the government is completely ignoring this bug epidemic ??? I don’t buy it that its because they “don’t carry disease”…not for a minute do I subscribe to that argument…I think its because they are fully aware of how insidious and difficult this bug is to eradicate…so they prefer silence, rather than admittance without answers….So people, like this enlightened soul, have taken it upon themselves to help ..like this Blog…which helps so many people….

2 hopelessnomo May 16, 2007 at 8:17 pm

I think, frankly, Bugalina, that our biggest obstacle is that the vast majority of the population is not suffering from bedbugs. If you are not suffering, then you can indulge comfortable anti-pesticide views. I know I did.

3 Bugalina May 16, 2007 at 8:26 pm

yeah…there is truth in what you say….That is what disturbs me. I don’t want bed bugs to plague the vast majority, however….I want society, enmasse, to realize how awful they are, but….no one has reality on them, unless they “have them”…so…that’s the sad fact of life…so I will keep on helping people …and you hopelessnomo…are terrific..you are very organized with your thoughts…please never leave us….

4 hopelessnomo May 16, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Thanks Bugalina, but I think I told you once before that you were the first person ever to offer a kind word to me in my bedbug troubles all the way back in October, seems like a lifetime ago. I bet that a lot of sufferers can also say the same thing. So, in reality, you are the one who is terrific and essential. I just wish you could not be so distressed and enjoy your freedom from the monsters a little bit more. It was so hard won! You deserve to not be so worried all the time.

5 wantmyskinback May 16, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Nomo… I agree with all that you say about Bugalina. Both of you are wonderful contributors to the cause. And I am grateful to you and everyone here! I don’t think the government is completely ignoring the issue… I just think it needs to get worse better unfortunately. And I worry for this.

6 hopelessnomo May 16, 2007 at 8:57 pm

OK, it’s settled, we all rock. (You too WMSB!)

Except Oli. Oli most definitely does not rock.

7 hopelessnomo May 16, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Nobugs is wondering who is Oli, right? 🙂

8 wantmyskinback May 16, 2007 at 9:34 pm

I love guessing games. Give a clue as to who is OLI?

9 nobugsonme May 16, 2007 at 9:46 pm

you got me, nomo~!

10 James Buggles May 16, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Bugalina, I don’t think a conspiracy exists. I think the answer is much simpler — politicians don’t care about issues unless their constituents do. And as hopeless said, most constituents don’t have bedbugs (or don’t know they have bedbugs).

I’ll tell you what’s worse than the politicians — the people who have them and do nothing or treat in silence without informing their landlord or neighbors. Landlords who keep silent are even worse.

11 jessinchicago May 16, 2007 at 10:27 pm

I think landlords who blame their tenants and try to force them to pay for treatment are the worst. They perpetuate the spread, because they prolong the treatment process and in many cases make effective treatment impossible.

12 willow-the-wisp May 17, 2007 at 12:05 am

I did have one Oriental into my home today from the building. He is like the spokesman for almost all Orientals because he speaks good English Cantonese and some mandarin.
I candidly talked to him about bed bugs and I told him I had had them, that the way we were dealing with this problem in the building will only spread them more and I wished he’d Google it learn up on it and then translate. I’m not sure if he’ll do it or not. I’ll give it a few days then I’ll just give him some links and see what happens.
I love this sign–But I can really sort of do without the toys

13 willow-the-wisp May 17, 2007 at 12:11 am

Oli who?

14 nobugsonme May 17, 2007 at 8:03 am

Willow,
Orientals are RUGS.
People from China, or elsewhere in Asia, are Asian!

15 nobugsonme May 17, 2007 at 8:16 am

Oh, Willow’s bed bug test subject. I was reading about him before he got a name.

Anyone else who’s confused, read the thread entitled “This is so insane!” in the forums, to find out what happens when one little bed bug falls into the hands of an angry and inquisitive Bedbugger:

16 willow-the-wisp May 17, 2007 at 10:34 am

ASAINS vs ORIENTALS I appologize for usining the adjective as the proper nown. the Encarta Dictionary does mention this as an (old) word usage that can be highly offesnive if used as a noun. I meant no offense to any Asians, We have a few non-chinese South East Asians A few Japanese but Mostly Chinese and Korean people in the 50% Asian community living in our building. Hardly any of these residents speak english–But they all like me BTW and visa versa.
Thanks for correcting me–Persians are rugs too? 🙂

17 nobugsonme May 17, 2007 at 11:48 am

Willow,
Thanks for clarifying that 🙂
I think you need a set of Venn diagrams: two actually: one for rugs, one for people.

18 willow-the-wisp May 17, 2007 at 12:25 pm

I need four of them–another for bed bugs and another for their somewhat circular
“lint-eggs”

19 wantmyskinback May 17, 2007 at 12:31 pm

I just spoke to my contractor who’s number I had once given out on the Yahoo group as a caulker/steamer. Apparently someone kept his number from way uptown on 178th Street in NYC. She told him that her building is infested with bed bugs…and that there was a large ASIAN population there who were immigrants and who could not understand what to do to keep the bugs away or to eradicate. She has a baby who is getting bitten. Its’ horrible !!!! My contractor told her to call 311 and report it…. I hope she does…whoever she is…. if it’s YOU….and you are reading this… please call 311.

20 kurtck177 May 17, 2007 at 12:42 pm

I think the problem has to reach a critical mass before anything constructive will be done. Sometimes I almost want the problem to spread, so everyone will know what’s really going on… I work in an office of 60 people here in NYC and I know at least 3 of us have had this problem within the past year… So it’s getting there.

21 Bugalina May 17, 2007 at 2:17 pm

kurtck….I agree with you…the more people I “out my bed bug problem” to , the more I am hearing people say..OH, My cousin had them , or OH MY GOD you had bed bugs !! My friend had them, and they had to throw everything away and move” …I still think that the politicians are talking about this behind closed doors because they have no answers…what can they say…Well if you have thousands of dollars to spare…and if you can live out of plastic bags for a year, and if you can have a PCO spraying your apt. 6 7 8 times..and oh by the way….because the pesticides we have on the market only have a 8 week residual ( if that )….You may have to live like this …well.. forever ??? Or at least 5 years !!! or maybe 10…..Truth is stranger tnan fiction….

22 vacationer March 1, 2008 at 6:59 pm

I believe that the public health department here is are not dealing with the problem because they have no funds to do so. If an agency is to take on additional duties and scope beyond what they are doing now, this will require more staff, training, office space, etc. This would require more money, which in most state budgets would only come when the public asks for it, loudly.
– v.