Responsa 1

by Winston O. Buggy on May 11, 2007 · 14 comments

in bed bugs

Editor’s note: This is a response to questions asked of Winston in the comments to his first post.

Many good questions, here are a few answers and or comments.

1. Jess thanks for the positive message and for the links in the original post. (But watch that mouth)

2. Detection tools, two of my favorites are an $11 Radio Shack Rim Free Lighted 2X Magnifier. Now I know this does not offer much magnification but the angle of the rimless lens coupled with a bright (but not too bright). Direct LED WORKS well. Also blue led lights and UV lights help when inspecting. ( By the way I am otherwise not
a fan of LEDs).

3. Willow: The ban in NYC applies only to NYC leased or owned properties, it is a pesticide phase out that may have phased out too much and yes it is pyrethrin which is banned in NY City owned or leased buildings- click here for more info.

Stay tuned!

1 jessinchicago May 11, 2007 at 4:30 pm

LMAO. I’m trying to be good!

2 willow-the-wisp May 11, 2007 at 5:48 pm

I’m … glued to the rim of my seat!
also LMAO!

3 nobugsonme May 11, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Excellent, thanks Winston. The link out did not work for me. But that may be the computer I’m on. Anyone else?

4 hopelessnomo May 11, 2007 at 6:12 pm
5 hopelessnomo May 11, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Here’s a PDF.

6 wantmyskinback May 11, 2007 at 9:38 pm

I didn’t read the entire thing…but I gather this law was connected to the use of Pesticides that were sprayed for West Nile ? THe law went into effect 2 years ago. Funnily enough…the bedbugs began to increase….

7 willow-the-wisp May 11, 2007 at 9:50 pm

the link worked for me yesterday and not today re the NYC 37 thing hmmm.

8 jessinchicago May 11, 2007 at 10:03 pm

FYI, I added the link, and it works for me in both IE and Firefox. Willow, are you clicking the link that says “click here for more info” or the one Nomo posted?

9 willow-the-wisp May 11, 2007 at 10:05 pm

“click here for more info” worked yesterday now neither links work I get a “500” informational error notice which I’ve never seen before–it is in comic sans.

10 willow-the-wisp May 11, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Information Alert

Status : 500 Internal Server Error

Description : Your request could not be processed for this multi-homed web site because the specified host could not be located

11 jessinchicago May 11, 2007 at 11:09 pm

I think this is an isolated problem. If anyone else having trouble, let me know via email at jess at bedbugger dot com. Willow, if you want me to copy and paste the page to you via email, I will gladly do so. Let me know- use the same address.

12 willow-the-wisp May 12, 2007 at 12:29 am

YEAH NO SEE I kewl on that Jess but thanks. Even Nomos PDF does not work. We recently got some new download “protecto” thing out here in “suny” Ca. It messes up or competes with the google toolbar so I had to like, uninstall it like, um 3 times.
Pleasant night to all and a pleasant weekend to eveybody 2.

13 nobugsonme May 12, 2007 at 4:32 am

Winston says:

Welcome to the big apple. Spoke to someone at NYC DHMH
this seems to be their problem. Should be fixed by Monday.

(Winston, I pasted this into comments because it might confuse people in its own post. Thanks for checking on the link!)

14 Mike Harris May 12, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Winston, a question: how do bedbugs handle not having food? Do they stay in the same location (it’s my understanding that bedbugs can go without food for 18 months), or do they attempt to locate food? If so, in the absence of heat and carbon dioxide, what governs their movements?

A secondary question: I understand that the primary places we see bedbugs are in domiciles and places where people sleep. Are there public non-sleeping places where one can find them as well — public transit, movie theaters, etc.?