Last updated 7/8/2013

Sulfuryl fluoride fumigation (often provided under Dow’s Vikane brand) is an option for treating an entire structure (free-standing house, entire building, etc.), a vehicle, or even a “pod” full of your furniture and belongings.

Given that bed bugs are so hard to eradicate, and how long it can take to treat using traditional methods, we’re always on the lookout for better options.

Those of us in multi-unit dwellings often daydream about having our whole buildings tented and fumigated with sulfuryl fluoride. It’s one way to get rid of bed bugs in a building (large or small) that’s out of control. You can do it to your house, or your whole building, but you can’t do it in a single apartment (unlike structural heat treatment). It’s not legal everywhere, from what I gather, but is worth looking into. Everyone (humans and pets) must be evacuated before treatment, and the unit is covered in a tent so that the gas does not escape.

Only a trained and licensed professional can or should use Vikane/sulfuryl fluoride
. You should never try to replicate this kind of treatment using any kind of substance. It is extremely deadly.

Here’s Dow’s FAQs on Vikane gas fumigation in general, Dow’s Vikane case studies, including a section on bed bugs, and Dow’s prep instructions including a video and Spanish and English fact sheets.

Pest Control magazine clarified in a March 2006 article (the link is to a copy on Univar’s PestWeb, since Pest Control Magazine’s site is now gone) that per the Dow label, three times as much Vikane is used for bed bugs as for termites. And the article also outlines Vikane’s benefits:

“We have recommended fumigation with Vikane on several extensive bed bug infestations where we felt that conventional treatment strategies could not bring a resolution to the problem quickly enough,” said Scott Crowley, technical director at Lloyd Termite Control in California. “When we use other treatment methods, re-treatments are frequently necessary. However, when we use Vikane and take some extra precautions, we can be sure that all of the bed bugs in the structure have been eliminated.”

The extra precautions that Crowley recommends include inspecting all personal belongings which may have been involved in the transference of bed bugs, as well as proper laundering of bedding and clothing which may have been exposed.

Frank of The War on Bed Bugs on Vikane:

(A) Vikane chamber can also be used to treat furniture and possibly vehicles. The technique sounds promising and does not cause significant damage to human health or environment. However, the cost of Vikane gas fumigation is significantly higher, and it is impossible to treat a multi-family dwelling without the co-operation of every unit. The long-term effects of using Vikane gas are also not clear.

Like Frank, I’d like to know more about the possible long-term effects. I have a hunch that gas is nor harmful to us or pets, because we don’t re-enter the home until it has been aired out for a time and the gas has fully dissipated (which is an advantage of a gas over other substances which might be applied). But I’d like more information on that.

I’d also love to have a ballpark figure on the costs of sulfuryl fluoride fumigation of a 3-bedroom house, say, or a 3-family house, or a 35-unit apartment building. If anyone has done it or knows how much it would cost, please tell us (and include the region or rough geographical location, if you will).

You can also arrange for sulfuryl fluoride commodity fumigation of a moving truck (or pod) of bed bug-infested items. This opens up “moving” as a viable option for getting away from bed bugs.

Some firms will also move your belongings out, fumigate them with gas, and return them to a home which has been treated in the interim using other methods (usually traditional spray/dust treatment).

Dow’s FAQs on Vikane for termites note that many real estate transactions now require homes to be treated for termites before the sale goes through. For bed bugs, no other treatments but heat treatment and sulfuryl fluoride fumigation, executed properly, offer 100% success (and I stress that heat treatment and sulfuryl fluoride fumigation have to be done by people who know what they’re doing). Vikane seems like a good option if you’re selling a home or building and have bed bugs. What’s more, if the provider guarantees their work, buyer and seller can have peace of mind on this issue.

Further reading:

This 2008 article from PCT “Fumigation, Steam, Dusting and Labor” is quite helpful. Note in particular the steps to be taken by the people vacating the home, “How to leave bed bugs behind,” suggested by Vikane’s manufacturer, Dow:

How to Leave the Bed Bugs Behind

A packing checklist for residents temporarily leaving their dwelling to be fumigated.

Bring as few items as possible when leaving the residence for the fumigation. Remember, bed bugs hitchhiking in suitcases, back packs, boxes, clothing, bedding and pet cages is a common way for these insects to be introduced into buildings. Bed bugs have been found infesting small electronic devices, such as alarm clocks.

For all fabric items that will be taken out of the residence during the fumigation, wash in hot water and dry in high heat in a dryer (140°F) before returning them to the fumigated residence. This includes clothing, blankets, pillows, stuffed toys and pet bedding.

Do not use boxes, suitcases, back packs, gym bags or any similar items from the infested residence to pack belongings. These items should remain in the residence to be fumigated. Pack belongings needed during the fumigation in light colored or clear plastic bags or plastic containers, such as sweater boxes or new luggage not previously stored in the infested residence.

Do not place washed or packed items on furniture (beds, sofas, dressers, tables, etc.) or flooring (carpets or rugs) that may be infested with bed bugs. Immediately remove packed items from the infested residence or place them on a clean, hard surface (kitchen or bathroom floor, in a bath tub or shower) until they can be removed from the residence.

Mattresses completely enveloped in plastic covers that cannot be removed or opened, such as infant mattresses, cannot be fumigated. These mattresses must be removed prior to fumigation. If there is any evidence that such a mattress is infested with bed bugs or the individual sleeping on the mattress has been bitten by bed bugs, it is advised that a new mattress be purchased.

Pet cages and pet bedding should be fumigated. Pet cages with any small gaps, seams or hollow spaces that could harbor bed bugs should be left in the residence to be fumigated. Food in the cages should be removed prior to the fumigation. The pets should be transferred to new travel cages or housing known not to be infested with bed bugs to remove them from the residence prior to the fumigation. Pet bedding/blankets should not be removed from the residence before the fumigation unless they can be washed, dried and packed as described above.

Source: Dow AgroSciences

Do check out the rest of that article, which is also quite helpful.

This is the Environmental Protection Agency (USA EPA) page on Vikane gas fumigation.

This is one example of a success using Vikane.

This is a site for people concerned about pesticides, which suggests Vikane may be dangerous even when used correctly.
The issue is likely to be controversial, but I wanted to share this link so readers are aware of it and can do further research if they’re concerned.

A note about Phosphine

badbugs of Minnesota reports that in that state, phosphine fumigation is available, but not vikane. badbugs had commodity fumigation done with phosphine. Note from badbugs: “phosphine … tarnishes gold, silver, and reacts really badly with copper (which means you can’t gas electronics)”.

Commodity Fumigation, Guarantees, and User Reports

When this article was originally written, the primary use of sulfuryl fluoride gas that we were aware of was the fumigation of homes and cars. The procedure is also being used for commodity fumigation: you fill a truck (or pod) with your stuff, it gets driven to a service provider, and they tent and fumigate it.

This method is often used by people moving from an infested home to an uninfested home. If you intend to use commodity fumigation but will return the items to the same home, you need to be absolutely sure the home is bed bug-free before bringing things back in. You also need to make sure you are not suffering continued exposure to bed bugs (e.g. through a neighbor or workplace).

Finally, with any treatment, get a guarantee in writing. And follow your service provider’s instructions to the letter (as far as how to prep, and what to leave out). One Bedbugger has had to have her home re-treated after it was fumigated with vikane gas and all bed bugs were apparently not killed. On the other hand, many others appear to have had treatments that were successful in one go.

Some firms (as noted above) take items to be fumigated with gas while the home is treated using traditional methods.  These can be more effective in an empty home, but may not always be 100% effective — and having paid to fumigate your furniture and belongings, you can’t afford go through all this again.

Make sure you discuss this concern with your service provider, so you are assured that residuals/dusts and/or follow-up treatments will ensure that any stragglers in the home are eliminated.

Further discussions of vikane / sulfuryl fluoride fumigation in our forums.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
1 Bugalina April 6, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Absolutely true…there is a lot of business to be had from people on this site. I did speak to a company about Vikane. I dont’ want to give their name unless they gave me permission as I will probably use them…for my POD…The only thing I didn’t like is that they told me I have to empty out all the contents from the POD into a steel floored UHaul Truck…and then drive it a few hours away…I would have already gassed my POD if I didn’t have to do this transfer…my husband and I have to hire someone to transfer the stuff so it complicates matters….we have decided that if we have to hire a few movers, we will give them tyvek suits…and we will wear tyvek suits as well… In the meantime it will be one year this month that my stuff has been stored…but I am so paranoid about reinfestation that I can’t ever look at that stuff in the POD unless its vikaned. I will phone these people next week and see if they want to get in touch with Nobugs..

2 S April 6, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Hey Bugalina,

I am curious, if your stuff has been in storage for a year, why not just wait another six months (or another year, to be totally sure)? It seems to me that if you’ve stored stuff for that long, it’d be better to just let it live out its tenure in the POD than to pay for Vikane.

Of course, I totally understand if you want to be extra EXTRA safe, but I’d hate for you to wait all that time AND spend all that money. To me, it seems like one or the other would be sufficient.

Just a thought.

3 S April 6, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Oh, sorry, that was me, S. Again with the not being logged in! Nobugs, can you think of a reason why I don’t just stay logged in?

4 Bugalina April 6, 2007 at 6:33 pm

S..I know you have a valid point….most of my furniture is in that POD….my sofa and chairs are feather stuffed..there were practically brand new, I had them about a year…..I am paranoid that maybe my POD is being stored next to a heavily infested POD and that bugs will crawl into my feather stuffed sofa and chairs…If I Vikane it all then there will be no unknowns….its the unknowns with bed bugs that are the most stressful…that’s why I am afraid to go into any of the storage units I have…for fear that a hungry bed bug, from another storage locker..will crawl on me…..I know they do this..because it happened to me…they crawl very quickly..esp. if they are hungry….there are so many complications ..my husband says that when we to into the storage unit we should suit up in white Tyvek suits…and thats’ what I am thinking of doing…they are pretty cheap..they have hoods and you can get booties..

5 nobugsonme April 7, 2007 at 2:14 am

S, you should stay logged on. I am not sure but maybe cookies are disabled? Anyone else having this problem?

6 nobugsonme April 7, 2007 at 3:33 am

S
This may also be related somehow to the fact that you have two accounts. Both are called S, but there are definitely two. You might have started one on the blog and one on the forums, but since you can use one at both, there’s no need for that. It might help if we delete one and you tell the webpage to “save your password” or “remember me next time” (usually there’s a prompt like that when you enter a password). Anyway, email me–I put this here in case anyone else has a similar issue.

7 nobugsonme April 9, 2007 at 8:25 pm

A friendly, local, and knowledgeable PCO who is known to me and who often shares wisdom with us, but is shy about getting credited for it, said this:

Please have folks remember that Vikane is a fumigant and
fumigants = death if misused. It is not something entrepreneurial, it requires proper certification and training. I have worked with fumigants on rail cars, trailers and in factories, and there are surprises, imagine what issues working in a multiple family home could present. If a gas pocket remains the gas may remain.Also many cities have conditions which preclude most applications.

8 nobugsonme April 10, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Moved from a thread about other news:

——————-
Alex said:

April 10th, 2007 at 12:05 pm edit

You asked for info on the long-term impacts of Vikane.

You’ll find some info here.

As you’ll see, because Vikane is a gas, sulfuryl fluoride dissipates VERY quickly and, thus, poses no long term impacts for dwellers/residents. Even professionals exposed to traces are likely safe, as no long-term impacts were seen in animals exposed to sub-immediately-lethal concentrations for 6 months (between 5-150 ppm).

Mainly, this stuff is a VERY toxic (i.e. “acutely” toxic) gas that should be handled VERY carefully and with VERY professional equipment. It is dispensed as a super-chilled liquid that near-instantly is vaporized at room temp to the gas, that then seeps and diffuses into every nook and cranny of the home – thereby killing all respirating organisms inside the tented structure.

Also, after it disperses upon removal of the tent, it pretty quickly reacts with stuff in the environment and is rendered non-toxic. The chemistry is pretty straight forward and well understood –so there won’t be any DDT stories about Vikane in 20-30 years (and we’ve been using sulfuryl fluoride for 60 years, so they’d have shown themselves by now anyway.)

Hope this helps.
Alex

———————-

Bugalina said:

April 10th, 2007 at 12:44 pm edit

Alex–Do you work in the NY area ?..Is it possible to tent a POD ? I have contacted someone, who was very nice and helpful, but they said I have to transfer the contents of the POD into a steel floored UHaul Truck, so as the gas wouldn’t escape. I am not doubting what they said, but I would obviously prefer to just have the POD delivered to a spot and then have it tented. They said the POD floor isn’t sealed enough. I so appreciate any advice you may be willing to give me. I would love to have my POD treated asap. but if I have to transfer the goods, I must wait until Sept.
thanking you in advance..Bugalina

——————
Alex said:

April 10th, 2007 at 1:07 pm edit

No, I’m in VA and am not a professional exterminator (though I did live in a basement apartment of a world-class entomologist and termite expert!).

As an ag policy analyst, I am familiar with fumigating grains and other crops for export (to kill any pests that might be introduced into new lands via crop shipments, i.e. biosecurity).

Perhaps you can place a suitable barrier under your POD? Heck, you could use a simple hydraulic bottle jack to jack up one end, place a VERY heavy mil plastic sheeting under that end of the POD, set it back down and repeat on the other end — pulling the sheet from the middle to the second side. When you’re done, you’ll have a full plastic sheet barrier under the whole shebang and the exterminators can fold the edges of the tenting to that.

Seems simple. Call the guy back and ask him if that will pass muster.

Cheers,

9 Mti June 10, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Hey Bugalina,

I’m in NY and we’re moving in a few weeks, and the idea of putting stuff into a u-haul truck and fumigating it is intriguing. Can you share with me the name of the PCO? Reach me at bedbug2005 at gmail.com

10 nobugsonme June 10, 2007 at 11:39 pm

try this post from thebedbugresource.com, where someone posted two NY/NJ area PCOs who do commodity fumigation. (disclaimer: I can’t recommend them personally and I don’t think this other poster has used them yet either, but it is good info to have).

11 andymi June 29, 2007 at 8:11 am

I have a three storey row house. How can this be tented?

12 nobugsonme June 29, 2007 at 10:50 am

You’d have to call the practitioners and see if it can be done.

13 nobugsonme July 18, 2007 at 1:18 am

FAQ updated”

Two links added to end: one to post about successful Vikane fumigation of multi-unit bldg. in New Jersey, a second to an article from Pesticide Watch which suggests Vikane may be harmful if used properly.

14 just vikaned my house July 19, 2007 at 11:18 pm

I just had my house and garage tented in Florida and it was $875 for both structures to be tented and Vikane gas used for termites. My house is small, only 700 square feet. Tenting is very common in Florida for drywood termites. You could probably find someone to tent a Uhaul down here for not too much. To just have my garage done is would be $150. It is my understanding that more poison is used for bedbugs than for termites so I don’t know if that will affect the cost of the procedure. My house is off the ground a little bit and they drape the tents and gas under the house as well as everything under the tent. I had to stay at a hotel for 2 days. Make sure you get a licensed professional. Vikane gas is odorless and colorless and does not cause any skin or eye irritation so if it is still in your house you won’t know it until it kills you! It also only kills what is in your house at the time of the tenting. There is no residual poison (so they say) so you can get immediately re-infested.

15 nobugsonme July 19, 2007 at 11:35 pm

Hi Just!
It sounds like Vikane for termites (at least) is not too, too pricey in Florida. But perhaps I am just comparing it with conventional bed bug treatments in NYC!
I understand from Bowman in Hawai’i that 3 times as much Vikane is needed for bed bugs as for termites, so no doubt it is pricier.
Thanks for your report! I hope you did not have bed bugs…

16 vacationer July 23, 2007 at 11:39 pm

There is a company near Indianapolis, Indiana that has a big concrete building they Vicane things in. You have to bring the stuff there. But at least they do it.

vacationer

17 hopelessnomo July 24, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Thanks, vacationer, this has to be a good option, especially for people who are moving.

18 vacationer July 25, 2007 at 4:41 pm

They just finished doing my car. Told me, “there is nothing alive left in that car”.
I put all my luggage and clothing in there and spread it out on the seats (the bedbugs were in a cottage I was vacationing in). I’m hoping this will de-infest them without having to try to heat-treat things that were never meant to be fried in a dryer, like cell phones and camera cases and rain slickers. It cost $525 for a smallish car.
Dow Agrosciences can probably supply names of people who fumigate in your area.
This place primarily does grain trucks, silos, etc., but has also done small jobs like furniture that had wood boring beetles, etc. They are not a PCO, they’re a fumigator.

I hope this works, will report back.
v.

19 vacationer July 28, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I take it back, don’t call Dow to locate people using Vikane. I didn’t find their help line staff too helpful. Instead, try to find an entomologist at your state dept of health, state chemist div of pesticides, or your land grant college extension office. Possible they may know who in your area is doing this work.

v.

20 Thaw'tBugs October 28, 2007 at 11:09 pm

The best way to kill bed bugs without chemicals is to rent a freezer truck and put all your stuff in it. Let is sit until everything is rock solid frozen after 3 days and voila. Dead bugs.

For some peace of mind, you can hire a bed bug dog to sniff out any surviving eggs or bugs, but you won’t need to if you freeze them!

A lot of college campuses do this!!

21 nobugsonme October 29, 2007 at 12:02 am

Hi Thaw’tBbugs,

Freezing stuff in a truck, or vikane gassing stuff in a truck, only kills bed bugs on the stuff in the truck.

Bed bugs are generally also found in the room itself–in baseboard cracks, in the walls, under floorboards, etc. So if items are treated in a truck, this can help a great deal, but it does not ensure there are no bed bugs in the room itself. You’re right that a bed bug dog might be an aid in determining if bed bugs and eggs remain in the room (assuming your bed bug dog can detect eggs, and only detects live bugs), but treatment will likely be needed.

22 nobugsonme November 13, 2007 at 1:04 pm
23 vacationer March 1, 2008 at 6:48 pm

The commodity fumigator north of Indianapolis is called Insects Ltd. and/or Fumigation Services Supply.

24 help June 19, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Please help me I live in an apartment block in London I need to get rid of them even if I have to leave my apartment for a few weeks i really don’t mind.Does anyone know if its possibvle to fuimigate an apartment or how much it woulod cost to do a small 8 flat 1 bed apartment block in the UK

25 nobugsonme June 20, 2008 at 12:03 am

help,

I do not know if Vikane fumigation is done in London. I suspect if you leave a comment on the forums, one of our participants who works as a PCO in London will know.

You should know, however, that vikane gas may not be the best treatment for an 8-flat building. Bed bugs can easily be brought in again unless you have identified the source. Even then, tenants need to be fully educated about avoiding bed bugs, be completely cooperative about trying to avoid them, and still, you will need luck.

26 Carolyn Curry June 28, 2008 at 10:54 am

I recently had my house tented in Florida. Upon entering my house I noticed a plant I accidentally left on the window sill. It was still alive and so were some water bugs in the bathroom. If vikane was truly used should’nt the plant and bugs be dead?

27 nobugsonme June 28, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Hi Carolyn,

I am not an expert on vikane gas fumigation.

I would suggest asking the company that did your service.

If you don’t trust them, you might try calling Dow.

Sorry, I am not sure what else to advise.

28 NYEntomologist July 18, 2008 at 8:04 am

Vikane (sulfuryl flouride) has been used safely for almost 50 years and the greatest advantage to the treatment is the 100% certainty that all stages of life are eliminated. Suburban Exterminating fumigates PODS, trucks and have a fumigation chamber at our Smithtown NY facility. When used in combination with a professional treatment to the home excellent results can be achieved. Generally in the North East this is done as an additional component to the treatment and not the entire structure receiving fumigation. If anyone has questions regarding Vikane fumigation or any questions relating to bed bugs I would be happy to help you.

29 badbugs August 19, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I discovered bedbugs this past Friday (some ass in my building brought in an old mattress) and, thanks to reading your years of experience on this forum, I arranged to have movers come on Thursday to pack up everything I own; they deliver their truck for phosphine gassing (nobody uses Vikane in my state, but I called the oft-cited, and very nice, Prof. Kells who said it’ll do the trick) over the weekend, and I move into a poured-concrete (and unfortunately $300 more a month) building downtown on Monday. Hopefully this works.. and at least my new, hermetically sealed unit can be heat treated if all else fails.

30 nobugsonme August 19, 2008 at 11:49 pm

What state is this? It will be helpful to direct readers there to seek out phosphine fumigation instead.

Thanks, and good luck, badbugs!

31 badbugs August 20, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Hi, nobugsonme. I live in Minneapolis, MN. Re: phosphine, besides portending death to all arthropods, it tarnishes gold, silver, and reacts really badly with copper (which means you can’t gas electronics). Electronics can’t be deep-frozen, either. Anybody know what to do with them?

32 nobugsonme August 20, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Thanks, badbugs! I’ll add a note above.

Electronics are a problem.

It is probably possible to carefully dissassemble (warning: may void warranty) and inspect.

Bed bugs may not have gotten into the items.

Alternatively, if you are certain bed bugs are inside, placing the item on a table, surrounded by DE, might be an option.

Not a good option if you have gassed your possessions and moved to a new bed bug-free home.

If you’re sure electronic items are infested, it appears that David Cain of http://bed-bugs.co.uk has a decon center for bed bugs which you might enquire about. Although there’s a cost involved, it is probably minimal compared with replacing of a computer or other high-cost item. Hopefully others will be offering such services in future.

33 vacationer August 22, 2008 at 6:41 am

For electronics I might try enclosing them in double “big bags” plastic bags with No-Pest strips (dichlorvos or DDVP, a presumed carcinogenic fumigant which kills insects very very well).

[deleted; Editor’s note: vacationer, we’ve been told on the forums that DDVP is not an option for electronics, so I wanted to make sure no one took your advice. Sorry to edit your post!
Those interested can read what others have said about DDVP in the forums by clicking here.]

34 luis August 24, 2008 at 7:20 pm

after a lot,and I mean a lot, of trial and error, discovered that lime juice. 50% juice 50% water. kills adults on contact. I don’t know about eggs because I never seen them. I have not been bitten,ever since I treated all my furniture with this solution two months ego.
PS. I did not use any chemicals even when the bites were numerous.

35 nobugsonme August 24, 2008 at 10:57 pm

luis,

Since bed bugs hide easily, and can be untouched inside a piece of furniture, I would be surprised if most people had success ridding infested furniture of bed bugs with any sort of contact killer.

(I cannot verify that 50% lime juice is an effective contact killer, but I would guess it has no residual properties.)

36 badbugs August 25, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Re: electronics. Sadly, the English decon center doesn’t take electronics. My guess is they fumigate.
I don’t know if bbs have made their way into my speakers, my computer and peripherals etc. — just want them dead if they have. The PCO said I should vacuum everything then spray everything with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Since my new, responsible landlord is sending the PCO every 2 weeks for 3 months just in case (for free, even though I disclosed), I may just save everything in their garbage bags for her or him to decontaminate outside on the balcony.
Everybody here is in my prayers!

37 bugged2themax August 30, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Heat treatment, if available, should take care of electronics. I had my apartment heat treated recently and no devices were harmed. I plan to have everything I own baked again, off-site, when I move in a couple months!

38 nobugsonme August 30, 2008 at 8:12 pm

bugged2themax,

Anyone planning heat treatment (or vikane) should get a prep sheet from their service provider, who would want them to know what can and can’t be treated. We’ve heard mixed reports about heat, and I understand some items may be at risk.

Glad your heat treatment went well! Must be a relief.

39 bugged2themax September 1, 2008 at 9:39 am

Very good point. Yes, I was warned to remove certain items and some with some things they couldn’t vouch for their safety, but they said they’d never had a problem with stuff like computers and televisions,etc. (as long as they were allowed to thoroughly cool before use). I wish vikane treatment was available in Minnesota as that would be my ideal choice!

40 nobugsonme September 1, 2008 at 4:42 pm

bugged2themax,

There are downsides to vikane gas as well as to thermal, but I think they’re both great choices. Vikane is popular with our readers in many cases because they live where thermal hasn’t been available.

41 movingon September 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm

hi all —

i saw a post somewhere on this site about using vikane on an instrument. specifically, i have a violin that i’m unsure of whether or not i can vikane; it is a very good instrument, so i cannot ruin it.

i will be fumigating/vikaning the rest of my possessions on an approved moving truck.

has anyone had any experience w/ vikaning instruments?

thanks,
j

42 nobugsonme September 15, 2008 at 9:15 am

Hi movingon,

I think the only party that can reliably guarantee the safety of including a particular item in a truck treated with vikane gas is the company doing the work. They’re the experts and they’re the ones presumably liable if things go wrong (you’d have to check on their guarantees).

Another option for instruments, works of art, etc. is anoxic fumigation, mentioned in this thread in the forums. It is likely to be more pricey and I do not know if it is necessary or not in your case, but I wanted to point you to that discussion as well.

43 ALANA September 8, 2009 at 8:08 pm

HI WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF FUMIGATING THIS OFFICE, BUT I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT NEGATIVE EFFECTS DOES VIKANE HAVE.

44 ALANA September 8, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I DON’T ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THIS GAS, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE RATING ABOUT VIKANE GAS

45 nobugsonme September 8, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Hi ALANA,

I am not sure what you mean about the rating about Vikane gas.

46 nobugsonme September 8, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Vikane gas (sulfuryl fluoride) would be fatal if you inhaled it. People and pets should not be exposed. The professional treating your home should be licensed and trained to use this gas safely and effectively. People and pets are evacuated during treatment and for some time afterwards. The person doing the service should give you instructions so items are removed which could be damaged and pose a thread (for example, medications).

Please see Alex’s comments in comment 8 above. There are some people who are worried Vikane may pose dangers even if used properly, but the link we have to this discussion is broken. If someone digs up some more research, we’re happy to link to it.

There are serious concerns about the effects of sulfuryl fluoride on the environment. (See this Sierra Club page.)

47 Kathy September 16, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Someone wrote the Vikane reacts and becomes nontoxic quickly. What does it reactwith and what are the rxn products? Flouride cannot change into something else

{ 4 trackbacks }