FAQ: Is there an insect that will eat bed bugs?

by nobugsonme on March 19, 2007 · 69 comments

in bad ideas, bed bugs, bedbugs, rumors, signs and symptoms, tools and weapons, treatment

This is a less-frequently asked question than some, but it comes up surprisingly often. Today someone googled into the site via the query “what eats bed bugs?”

Put it out of your head! Um, yes, some insects will eat bed bugs, but it really isn’t a good treatment plan.

house centipede bugguide.net

House centipedes have been known to enthusiastically eat bed bugs, a fact which endears them to me. If you see one, you might want to let it live, as it may be feasting on your bed bugs. But keep your distance, a disturbed house centipede can sting you.

Masked assassin (masked hunter) bugs also eat bed bugs, and their presence in the home is said to be a sign bed bugs are present. But I don’t know anyone who’s seen one. And watch out, they have a nasty bite of their own.

Fire ants are also said to eat bed bugs. I’ve heard that the traditional cure for bed bugs in the American Southwest is to throw your mattress on a nest of fire ants. They quickly consume the bed bugs, it’s said. I believe people really do this, though am not sure how you then get rid of the fire ants and reclaim your mattress. Again, you don’t want them stinging you.

I do not recommend seeking out predators as a form of treatment. You can’t acquire them in quantity (there’s no centipede mail order), and you can’t get rid of them once you have them in the home. All of them, en masse, could cause you serious problems.

Sorry to disappoint. Read our FAQ for advice on how to get a PCO who knows bed bugs. “Natural solutions” such as freshwater diatomaceous earth are a possible preventative, or useful part of a treatment plan. But predatory insects are not a good idea indoors, and anyone who is being bitten or seeing bed bugs should get a PCO in to treat, repeatedly, until they’re gone. Or they will breed, and your problems will be much worse.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
1 Edgie March 22, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Hi,
When I first learned of this form of the plague, I mentioned it to my sister, who has a small housecleaning buisness, she told a friend, who related a story. She said that her dad spent time on a military boat in the pacific in WW2 and the boat encountered BED BUGS!! As the story goes, he went to some foriegn port and was told that preying manthises love to gobble up bed bugs. So, he got a few to be his roommates, and his bunker was saved. I have not tried this, but did consider it. Edgie

2 Kevin April 9, 2007 at 11:20 pm

I know house spiders will eat bed bugs because when I had bedbugs I would see lots of them trapped in spider webs around the crevices of my wall where spiders would give them a taste of their own medicine and suck their fluids out.

I heard a way to get rid of bedbugs is to smoke a lot of pot, and then go to bed so when the bedbugs feed on you, the THC in your system will poison them and kill them.

3 willow-the-wisp April 10, 2007 at 12:32 am

They also bite and can be just as noxious–except they don’t drain blood yet the bites can really affect alleric reactions. That’s almost like throwing a brick at a brick to couteract the brick:keymaster is right, don’t do it!

4 nobugsonme April 10, 2007 at 1:02 am

Yeah, I just don’t think you could have the volume of spiders needed to get rid of bed bugs.

The suggestion about pot is fascinating, though unfortunately Bed Bug Helloise and I are in no position to test it. We ask that those who do report back with the results. It would be hard work, but in the name of science.

5 nobugsonme April 19, 2007 at 1:49 pm

On praying mantises, Lou Sorkin (AMNH entomologist said,

“No, I don’t see mantids helping out much. I’m sure they won’t hunt for them and only eat those that are out in the open. Most mantids are also diurnal, while bed bugs are typically nocturnal.”

6 willow-the-wisp April 19, 2007 at 2:10 pm

i trid the thc “experiment” unforutnatley the result were lost in a sea of paper and so i guess i’ll have to try and tyr again. LOL–I doubt this is true. But who woant to get a bed bug high on weed anyway? it’s o friend of mine :)

7 Rather May 15, 2007 at 2:23 am

“But keep your distance, a disturbed house centipede can sting you.”

Respected bug identification websites such as “Whats that bug” have repeatedly said that house centipedes are harmless. What is your source for this information?

8 nobugsonme May 15, 2007 at 4:56 am

Rather, let me make a correction–I did make an error, they may bite (not sting).

House centipedes are harmless, but they will bite if you disturb them. The two facts are not mutually exclusive. My source is Lou Sorkin, entomologist of the AMNH, who has advised against people trying to obtain house centipedes for bed bug control, on the yahoo Bedbugger listserv (see links).

The google search for “house centipede bites” yields a number of websites that say house centipedes may bite and you should not expect any serious outcomes. See this.

But imagine someone with a houseful–it would not be pleasant. “Nothing worse than a bee sting” is a common refrain in those web sources, well–how many bees would you like in your home?

The bottom line is if you have some house centipedes–let them live and enjoy their bed bug-eating marathon. But don’t try to obtain more. The best reason not to see obtaining centipedes as a solution for bed bugs is that you can’t buy them, and if you have a lot of them, you have a new problem. You will also be liable to others if they get out of control.

“What’s that bug” is a great site, by the way.

9 Rather May 15, 2007 at 6:27 am

Thanks for the speedy response. That does make sense. I’m in Junior year of high school, and road racing season has just picked up. I lost 3.5 hours of much needed sleep last night to the bastards. We have had house centipedes for many years and it appears they may have slipped in their duties!

Nobugs, let me ask you something –

While my room is treated, I set up a sleeping bag, maybe a cot, and sleep on my roof. I avoid the bugs, and get some fresh air (I live in an apartment building). Does this seem like a viable alternative, even for just this week? I need to be at my peak performance for an approaching weekend of intense races.

Also, I love what you’ve done with the Wordpress stlye on the site, I use wordpress for my high school bike club website (http://www.lagca.com)

Thanks again and sorry for the long response and questions.

10 jessinchicago May 15, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Hi Rather-

I know you directed your question to Nobugs, but I wanted to respond, too. Hope you don’t mind.

Listen, is it safe to sleep on your roof? What do the adults in your house think of this idea? I think you’ll be safe from bedbugs on your roof, but bedbugs aren’t the only things that go bump in the night, if you know what I mean.

I really hope you get some sleep this week, it sounds like you really need it. Good luck! Oh, and you can ask questions anytime. You might want to check out the forums, too. You can click on the blue bug in the upper right corner of your screen to get there. In the forums, people ask and answer questions pretty frequently. You’ll probably find some good advice and support there.

11 nobugsonme May 17, 2007 at 8:11 am

Hi Rather–
Thanks for your comments on the layout. I am actually using a template (info at bottom of screen) and so can’t take credit. Your blog is nice–and a fresh variation on Regulus!

Normally we don’t tell people to sleep in a different part of their home (living room, another bed room) or someone else’s home, since it will spread bugs. I note that spreading them outside is probably not the same kind of problem, though, if they set up shop out there, I suppose you might need a PCO to treat there. (Is the roof above someone else’s apartment, rather than yours? If so, you might also spread the problem to them.)

A bigger problem is that most PCOs treat your room in such a way that you need to sleep there to attract the bugs to cross the poison to their deaths. If you are away, they may not cross it and die. Treatment may be prolonged and have to be repeated more.
Sorry that’s not what you wanted to hear. Good luck with the races–and if you want to chat further–leave a message in the forums (using your blog username and password) anytime!

12 Math June 6, 2007 at 5:37 pm

My housemate and I both smoke a lot of pot. A LOT of pot. This appears to have had absolutely no effect on our bedbug infestation. THC is not a ‘poisonous’ chemical. I don’t understand why anoyone should think it would kill bedbugs.

13 nobugsonme June 7, 2007 at 12:48 am

Hi Math,

I think our one-time commenter Kevin was suggesting THC was a “poison” to bed bugs. Not that it is poisonous to us. In the same way that other substances can harm one species and be food (or just harmless) for another.

I am sorry that pot did not help your infestation. I recommend a good PCO (one who knows bed bugs.)

But I am glad you were able to test reader Kevin’s theory.

Alright folks, put the pot away. Back to the “traditional” methods… Got that Winston???

14 nobugsonme October 14, 2007 at 1:58 am
15 Winston O. Buggy October 14, 2007 at 9:50 pm

Consumers of bed bugs would include pharaoh ants, roaches assassin bugs especially
the masked bed bug hunter ( with a hollandaise) but each of these hexapods would pose their own problems. Spiders as well. Unfortunately natural predators are probably not going to be the answer with these pests. Perhaps a fungus or mold will hold greater promise.

16 persona-non-bugga December 4, 2007 at 1:08 am

Re: whether centipedes can sting you or not.

I just killed a centipede on my dining room floor. I slammed down on it with my bare fist. Still alive, it started to speed up my wall, intent on escape. I hit it again, this time with the part of my hand beneath the knuckle of my thumb.

Now, on my hand, there are two thin raised welts (distinctly outlined – same shape & size as the centipede) where my skin made contact with the fleeing centipede. Maybe there’s something in the centipede’s exterior that causes this sort of irritation. Itching & pain are fairly mild. As I type, the swelling’s going down. But I thought I’d mention it.

I forgot that the centipede is a predator of insects. I might’ve left it alone had I remembered. But ever since my bedbug days, my impulse is to kill any creepy-crawly with a mad quickness (except spiders).

Anyway, it was alarming to see – because I’ve supposedly caulked my apartment thoroughly. Guess there’s a breach somewhere. Hope the presence of this predator doesn’t mean there are truly undesirable bugs lurking somewhere in my walls.

17 December 11, 2007 at 11:19 am

I lived in a house in Seattle that was infested with spiders, and I would trade that back in an instant. We lived in fear of the dangerous Hobo spider, but never found one. We trapped and ID’d several Giant House Spiders, which out-compete the Hobo, and so we released them back into our environment and thanked them for all of their hard work.

What I would give to have just a spider problem again. Sigh.

18 tony December 13, 2007 at 10:51 pm

I’ve had a different reaction with the spiders. Since the bed bugs appeared I suddenly have no more spiders. Very curious as I didn’t even think of that until I read this section.

19 bugbasher December 31, 2007 at 12:01 am

Hey, What about some sort of lizard? Maybe a gecko of some sort.That I wouldn’t mind living with!But how to keep him in the apartment without escaping before the bb’s are eradicated? Oh , I know, I’ll get collar and leash and chain him to the bed!Seriously, wouldn’t mind a lizard. I read somewhere they were using some for roach infestations in places.

20 badlybugged December 31, 2007 at 3:38 pm

There are lots of little lizards running around here in southeast LA which is the estuary for the Mississippi river (swamp/outlet). One of my friends has noted that Louisiana should be a National Wildlife Preserve, not a State. That said, I should not have an insect anywhere in my world because of the predation, but, alas, I do. Although, last night seems to have been bug free — maybe Saturday’s (12/22) treatment is working???

21 buggedinphilly January 10, 2008 at 1:59 am

I moved into my house two years ago and from the beginning we would see the random centipede but i already knew they were predator bugs so I never messed with them, figuring they were mopping up the spiders in the basement. A year later when we began to see more of them I started to worry b/c I knew, in the city anyway, their favorite meal is the cockroach nymph. After some investigation it turns out we had the beginnings of what could’ve become a cockroach infestation. Luckily we nipped it in the bud by throwing out all of the cardboard containers in our kitchen and bathroom (every box had eggs in it!) with generous helpings of diatomaceous earth along the floorboards, cabinets, and countertops. The adults were gone almost immediately and the nymphs only lasted another week or so. Unfortunately DE is quite indiscriminate and likely eliminated the centipedes as well.

As these are predator bugs i think you’d be hard-pressed to have anything resembling an “infestation” if you weren’t already infested with a lot more nefarious creatures . . . and since any treatment is likely to knock out both groups, well, there you are.

22 sara April 20, 2008 at 9:46 pm

omg this is so scary id ont want to think of those eating me at night that doesnt want me to go in my bed and the centepede it can sting? im really scared now

23 nobugsonme April 21, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Sara,
If you have bed bugs you need to get your home treated. You can get rid of them. Come to the forums (blue button above right)to talk to others.

You are unlikely to get stung by a house centipede. We are just making the point that bringing lots of them into your home is not a solution for bed bugs (for several reasons).

24 vacationer April 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Sara, don’t worry. Centipedes don’t seek out people or beds, or even care about you at all except by accident. I’ve always had a few in whatever house I was living in, and they never do anything that I can tell.

-v.

25 BugginMe May 20, 2008 at 2:11 am

I just sprayed one with some Payless Shoe Source brand Rain & Stain Guard for leather & suede, and it die within 20sec. at the end its body kind shriveled up a little. Tomorrow im going to look for its nest to try and find the others. im going to spray under all the seams and inside the boxspring tomorrow and see if that’ll kill them or either make them no longer want to live there. Do you all thing it’ll work?

26 vicki May 20, 2008 at 10:49 am

OMG centipedes have nests with MORE centipedes?

27 hopelessnomo May 20, 2008 at 11:19 am

BugginMe, there are probably many things that kill bedbugs. Doesn’t mean they should be used or are the best option, especially if we don’t know what effect they have, if they are repellent, if they may cause them to spread, etc. In addition, spraying your mattress where you sleep with something that may be toxic is not a good idea. A professional who is experienced in bedbug eradication is the best bet. Yes, such a person may not be easy to find, but it should always be Plan A. Experimenting in this way may be a bad idea when you consider the total infestation and what your best options are to get rid of all your bedbugs, not just the ones you see.

28 Gypsy May 21, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Nothing works to kill the bugs except for professional exterminators. I’ve sprayed my apartment with raid specially designed for bed bugs, and it has done nothing. Unless properly treated, the bugs will come back.

29 devraj May 27, 2008 at 6:21 am

to avoid bugs from forming colonies, fill all cavities in floors walls furnitures with an filler (e.g. i used plaster of paris)

30 nobugsonme May 29, 2008 at 6:24 pm

devraj,

Plaster of paris in your furniture and floor cracks seems like it would crack and not be effective. Caulk is a better option others have recommended.

31 parakeets May 30, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Once a year my building is overrun with carpenter ants. Every spring when we have the yearly influx of carpenter ants, the bedbug population is sharply curtailed. I’m wondering if the carpenter ants eat the bedbug eggs? Who knows?

32 Heywoodjabloemey July 9, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I had bed bugs, three treatments couldn’t get rid of them. I finally moved and sadly brought them with me. However, my new place I noticed a few very small spiders around the window. Black with yellow lines on them, very small. Anyway, I found a bed bug here and there for about 3 weeks, but eventually stopped seeing them. I’ve been bed bug free for about 3 weeks now, but I never kill those spiders, just in case they are responsible for finishing off my bed bugs I brought with me.

33 zizo August 22, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Heywoodjabloemey you my be right. in my case i leive in DUBAI. this city have a lot of bed bugs and they are easy to spred any where.we are using air conditioning especialy in bed rooms by this way you can not see any spider web at home. i guess there is a linkt between domestic spider and bed bugs.

34 Brendazspace August 30, 2008 at 7:04 pm

I work in a daycare, and my husband in a shelter- both of us have had these jobs for over 10 years- we never had any bugs in our home except a centipede, and some ants in spring- well, we moved about a year ago into a new apartment, and about 3 months ago- which would have been 15 months here, we have bedbugs- we cannot figure out where they came from- we need to get rid of them- we will maybe see 1 bug every 2 weeks- I vacume constantly, I use PRONTO bug spray for bed bugs daily, we iron our mattress, couch, chairs etc 1-2x’s a week- NO- ONE EXCEPT ME IS GETTING BITTEN!!!!! what is the deal? I don’t get it…but it’s making me crazy!!!! I work with the public, and well the bites are not exactly attractive…what do you suggest?
how did they get here and what do we do? the exterminator came and said that we are doing everything we should, and that is all there is to it…so how do I keep from being eaten?

35 nobugsonme August 30, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Hi Brendazspace,

If you did not notice the bites until 15 months into your residency, I would say they were probably not in the apt. when you moved in. a few possibilities exist:

1/ A neighbor is infested (and may or may not have any idea) and they are coming over.

2/ You or husband got them at work. Daycare shelters are experiencing this problem. Shelters even more so. I would start with the shelter as the most likely place to have brought them home from — all shelters should have a bed bug plan in place and should be getting regular professional inspections.

3/ You or husband brought them in from somewhere else. Public transit, movie theater, hotel, someone’s home? (They may have no idea.)

4/ Someone with bed bugs came into your home and brought them.

My money’s on the jobs, frankly.

Many people do not react to bed bug bites, and your husband is probably one of them.

What is your PCO doing besides encouraging you to spray Pronto daily and iron your mattress and chairs? Your best weapon is a good PCO. And s/he should be inspecting and treating all neighboring units. If a neighbor has them and are not treated, you will not get rid of them easily, if ever.

PLEASE respond in the forums, if you don’t mind, since this is really off-topic for this post. All you need to do is register and reply here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/

And feel free to re-post your message there. Many more folks with current issues will read it and respond there.

36 AK September 14, 2008 at 3:36 am

Hey I head there is some way you can attract the dam bugs. I have heard that if you get a ballon with your breath in it you can lure the to it. at the same time you can sleep somewhere else. well what I say to figure out is lure them to the ballons and maybe use tat fly paper. OOOHHHHH that sound like a great idea I’m gonna go to walmart and get some ballons blow it up and set it my bed with a slow release and have some tat fly paper near by I will try to sleep in the living room for a week until those damnable thing get stick on and die muahahahahah well please give me some feed back on how good this idea is.

37 AK September 14, 2008 at 3:46 am

I saw that maybe lady bugs can get them too. Since lady bug love eating other bugs. Lets test that theory out we must.

38 nobugsonme September 15, 2008 at 10:04 am

AK,

Please read the other FAQs, especially this one. Sleeping in another room is not a good idea as you will likely spread them if they have not infested the other space yet.

I don’t know if ladybugs will eat bed bugs. For one thing, the adults are as large as they are. It’s an intriguing thing to visualize.

39 leaveme November 14, 2008 at 5:22 am

i have seen a gecko (looks so much like the gecko from geico) come and live in my room after i started noticing bed bugs(i moved but the bugs had to come with me…same old story)..but i have seen it eating bugs off my bed..i dont know what kind of bugs…but its been eating for sure

And i for one hate lizards…of all animals in this animal kingdom…i cant stand the thought of a gecko crawling over my face while i am asleep…but then bedbugs actually feed on my blood

dilemma…humph!!

40 blackthought November 16, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Bed Bugs are Gods creatures too,….yall need to stop killing them and appreciate what God has blessed your home with!!!!!

41 spideyjg November 16, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Re read your bible there blackthought.

God lost a poker game to Satan and allowed him to make one creature. The bed bug was born.

Sarcasius 4:75

42 nobugsonme November 16, 2008 at 11:04 pm

blackthought,

Thanks for trolling!

I have some specific motels I could recommend.

43 Snowberrymufin January 21, 2009 at 1:12 am

Early this month I realized I had a bed bug problem… Funds r tight n Idk wat 2 do… I’m thinkin bout fallin an exterminator .. Will they definitly rid my place of bed bugs????… Keep in mind I jus moved 2 this room n the bugs Been bite since I been here (which was October 2008) I only saw the bug this month… Sigh me n my cat r tired of the scatchin … N I’m tired of the broken n disterbed sleep…these dam bugs were here b4 I came here , wat should I do??????

44 izbo January 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm

From what I gather, bedbug predators are worse than the bugs (roaches and some kind of killer wasp). I think you have to get the pest man in but steam clean every crack and crevice in every piece of furniture to kill the eggs. The pesticide won’t do this. Do this before he comes and you might stand a chance of clearing them in one shot. I took off the fabric on the base of my divan and the little critters were mooching around in there quite happily digesting their lunch. They weren’t keen on a good shot of steam though. That killed them outright but unfortunately it’s only a contact killer. The pesticide will get those really in hiding. Eventually. So I’m told. After my second spray. Ha Ha. Good luck.

45 nobugsonme January 22, 2009 at 1:30 am

Snowberrymuffin,

It can unfortunately take multiple treatments to get rid of bed bugs. Often more than one treatment is included in the cost. If you rent, your landlord may be liable for the cost of treatment. We have a FAQ on who pays for treatment.

As Izbo says steam can help, but must be done carefully. We have a FAQ on steaming too. Some PCOs will do the steaming, and they can often do a better job of it because they have experience and the right kind of steamer. It can be done yourself but do your research first.

Finally, if you read the FAQs and have more questions or need support, please come to the Bedbugger forums and post there.

46 ryan February 11, 2009 at 3:07 am

Bed bugs are vary hard to get red of .
One night I woke up and 7 bed bugs were in my bed I killed them with a tissue. And after that they smelled relly badly. Why is that? I also learned that they like funk word of advise people out there in all ages if you ever incounter or interface with bed bugs take a shower they adtract to stinky smells. sometimes they come out during the day and they don’t realize it. And keep you room clean vacume your bed the side of it and your boxspring. Sometimes when u keep on killing them they move to different places. And vacume your dresser droors the sides and vacume your floor and make sure at night ur cover is not touching the ground.

47 Elaine page February 16, 2009 at 2:55 am

I have been living with this insanity for three years now-I’ve tried everything; natural and non natural products: it DOES NOT WORK! and these buggers will bite household pets as well! Now I am afraid I will have to part with my dear antiques when I decide to move out since it must have been infested as well-I wash and dry EVERYTHING from my bed twice a week, had the mattress protected with a zipped plastic cover, will spray the entire bed frame with non toxic Kleen-Free Naturally (super concentrated preformed enzyme cleaner), do not use it on your furniture, it will ruin it.I am so desperate now…they hide everywhere: books, furniture, computers and any electric component, walls, etc…I am so fed-up with it, and this because of tenants moving in & out non stop in our building (I did not travel since 2001. What could be done?

48 nobugsonme February 16, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Elaine,

You should not have to live with bed bugs, and certainly not for three years. They CAN be treated successfully by a knowledgeable person, but all infested units in a building must be detected and simultaneously treated, and this does not sound like the case in your building.

It is difficult to move without bringing bed bugs unless you take extreme measures to decon your possessions (e.g. gassing them in a truck with Vikane gas).

If you want to discuss this further, please come to the forums. Click here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/

49 chewy March 3, 2009 at 8:31 pm

i think geting all you clothes and putting it in an big tub and putting on hot water and get a spray named kill jack bed bug spray and spray sum in the water let clothes soak and sit for 2 hours and then get a bin or a hanger or find a place that u can hang stuff in your bathroom and steam the room with your bedding and clothes for 3 hours while that doing go to bed spray the bed furniture and floor and windows under everything and vacum beds and anything u sit on and rest and burn any infected area frist then spray.then after u done steaming the clothes put it in plastic bags and take it to wash in hot water then dry clean then put it in new plasic bags then your done with clothes hopefully this will help you.

keep bed away from ways and anything that touching the floor grease the the bed springs legs and mcuh sure when u sleep u dont have none of your bed stuff touching the floor!!!!do this treatment a couple of times..

50 nobugsonme March 6, 2009 at 2:40 am

chewy,

Read our FAQS: simple laundering at the right temps will kill bed bugs, you do not need to add a bed bug spray to laundry, and I don’t think that’s a great idea. The product is likely not labeled for this purpose.

Secondly, if you do manage to get bed bugs out of your clothing, and your home is infested, then hanging the items in your home to dry is a bad idea. Bed bugs can crawl onto them.

Finally, while steam can be a useful tool in fighting bed bugs, I recommend readers check out our FAQ on steaming.

Do not use any pesticide except as labelled and with caution.

51 Cayla March 27, 2009 at 9:58 pm

52 Viola Wells April 28, 2009 at 10:20 am

I have a question: Getting into bed the other night, I pulled back the comforter and a little baby centipede scurried away. Since I have always had centipedes and really don’t mind them, it wasn’t a huge deal. But after reading that they eat bed bugs, I’m a little concerned. Should I be?

There is no other evidence that I have bed bugs, but what are baby centipedes doing underneath my comforter? It’s not moist or anything. Should this be something I should look into further and if so, how?!

(I’m a bit of a hypocondriac, so it’s easy for me to jump to conclusions…hence my questions!)

THANKS!

53 nobugsonme April 28, 2009 at 11:15 am

Hi Viola,

I really do not know a lot about Centipedes.

They do eat bed bugs but also other insects. Innocent enough, non-biting insects can also get into beds.

I would just familiarize myself with the Bed Bug Photos (see links at top) and signs of bed bugs, and maybe inspect your home for bed bugs.

Keep your eyes peeled but try not to panic.

54 kassie June 23, 2009 at 11:32 am

I’ve been seeing Centipedes in my house lately and they freak me out!
Should I check my house for bed bugs, and if so how?

55 nobugsonme June 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm

kassie,

Centipedes are NOT a sign you have bed bugs.

On the other hand, IMO, everyone should learn to recognize the signs of bed bugs and search their homes for them, since they are on the rise. To learn how to look for bed bugs, study our photos of bed bugs and their signs, and see the Travel FAQ about how to avoid bed bugs when you travel, which explains how to search a hotel room (directions you can carry out at home too).

56 spideyjg June 27, 2009 at 2:13 pm

As Nobugs said you should learn how to inspect for bedbugs.

Predatory insects such as spiders or centipedes will not sustain a large population without a food source. Not saying bed bugs are or aren’t he food source for your centipede population because they would be just as happy feeding off roaches, silverfish, ants and the list goes on. Point is once the food is gone the centipedes will move on.

There was a beehive for a while in my apartment complex and nearby was a maze of spiderwebs with quite a number of plump content spiders and many egg sacs.
Once the hive was removed the spiders moved on to buggier pastures.

Jim

57 Steven October 20, 2009 at 9:49 am

Hey Cayla, your email made me laugh! :D Especially where you said about centipedes
“I sprayed stuff at em and they come right at you.” I used to be a solo backpacker and
while I might think I’m brave, little itty bitty hairy bugs can freak me out too. I keep picturing some kind of teenaged quasi-centipede-football player wannabe hanging around in the bathroom, waiting to freak out humans. Just for kicks.

I just joined the Yahoo group which was suggested by this website. A good group like
this one. Thanks to the founders of this website.

Cayla March 27, 2009 at 9:58 pm
“Ewww Omg I have those house centipedes in my bathroom they creep me out and scare me! I’ve touched one by accident cause it was on the handle of my shower. Scared me to death! I’ve killed a few they give me the creeps and there back again this year just saw one again. Really fast things. I sprayed stuff at em and they come right at you. I want them GONE!”

58 nobugsonme October 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Hi Steven,

Just so you know, the Bedbugger yahoo group is older than this website and was started by Caitlin Regan of The Bed Bug Blog. Caitlin’s mostly retired from writing from bed bugs now, but still runs the yahoo group you mentioned.

Bedbugger.com (this site) was started by me in 2006 and the Bedbugger Forums were added in 2007. The forums are useful for people who want to post their own messages and seek suggestions or feedback from other bed bug sufferers and bed bug professionals.

59 janasg October 21, 2009 at 11:21 am

I live in Denver and was told by a pest control firm that if you don’t have bedbugs now, within a year you will. My infestation was caused by a piece of furniture and is contained to it (THANK GOD), but I have since noticed that they are coming in through my bathtub drain and HUGE so I leave my water dripping and it seems to deter them. The PCO is coming again on Friday-do I have him spray my tub? Since he was here last week the problem has gotten 90% better.

60 kyle April 5, 2010 at 12:13 am

hey janasag, how much is it costing you

61 nobugsonme April 6, 2010 at 11:25 am

kyle,

janasg has not been around since October, 2009.

Please come to our forums if you’d like feedback or suggestions from people who have current or recent bed bug infestations, or who work in the industry: http://bedbugger.com/forum/

62 arnold barnes May 26, 2010 at 11:06 am

hi, my name is arnold. i am a study on what type of bugs that will eat cockroaches, are there any information on this subject. if so what website i go to to find this information. thanks

63 nobugsonme May 26, 2010 at 11:15 am

arnold,

That question is quite off-topic here. I recommend you try this google search: insects that eat cockroaches.

64 tumbleweed June 5, 2010 at 8:07 am

what about a gecko?

65 angelfall June 6, 2010 at 11:57 pm

hi all..
before killing bedbugs.. yo need make sure u do your laundry ..wash everything from bedroom …bedbug live egg on ur cloth lay around ur room …wash …hot water wash wash …..after wash ur cloth dont put them in ur bed room or near bedroom….put them garbage bag untill ur done with kill bedbugs….
used baking powder .. boil water put baking powder… spary all over ur room ..specail corner of your room wall and on bed …. living room where u seat watch movie all the time under sofa too every time ur frn come by they will bring bedbug to you bedbugs love sofa and bed …..
….do that 2 time week … after few month they will die …..
or buy dettol liquid bottle .. spray around bed room it will kill bedbug …do it for few week u will never see bedbug …. if u see again the sorry for the lie … but that work for my home…. when you kill bedbugs dont don lazy work …..

66 angelfall June 7, 2010 at 12:01 am

SORRY MY ENGLISH IS BAD .. SORRY IF U DONT UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY ….IF USED MY LANGUAGE … i am sure you guys will pissed sorry for bad english please forgive me ..writing poor english..

67 nobugsonme June 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm

angelfall,

No need to apologize for your English skills. I appreciate your comments.

You are right that getting rid of bed bugs takes work and attention.

However, I am not aware that baking soda mixed with boiling water is effective on bed bugs. There are many substances which are. Boiling water alone would kill on contact, but it would have to still be boiling when you spray it and you’d have to spray a bed bug directly to kill it. This seems unlikely.

Steam can be much more effective, as a good steamer will penetrate a bit into cracks and other spaces. (Here’s our FAQ on steamers.)

I was not aware that dettol kills bed bugs, but it is fully possible that it kills on contact. Many other substances offer a contact kill, and are cheaper, at least where I live. (These include alcohol and Murphy’s Oil Soap.)

The problem is that most times, we do not see all of the bed bugs, and so cannot kill them directly. Most people need to instead use a substance with a residual effect (like residual spray pesticides) or a mechanical killing effect (dusts like diatomaceous earth, which you can read about in this FAQ).

Since this conversation is off topic in this comments thread, please come to the forums if you’d like to discuss it further.

68 frank July 19, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I have a question, where can i buy some of those bugs (centipedes) or where could I find them cuz I really need some of those bugs,

{ 1 trackback }