Bed bug lawsuits

Here are some legal cases involving bed bugs which are discussed online. (Links which are internal to the blog have additional links to news reports and sometimes case information.)

General lawsuits involving bed bugs

Article about bed bug lawsuits in New York City (Sept. 2008)

Bed bugs in the workplace

Former Fox News NY employee Jane Clark sues her employer’s landlord (May 2008).  This case was thrown out by the judge in April 2011, with the plaintiff expected to appeal the dismissal.

New Furniture Purchase

An Ann Arundel County jury awards $225K to a woman who bought two wooden beds from a furniture retailer. Case is unusual both because it actually went to a jury trial and because the plaintiff was awarded $75K more than she sought in the trial (March 2012).

Couple claims they were sold bed bug infested furniture by J. C. Penney in Cherry Hill, N.J. and wins $49,000 in jury trial.

Furniture Rental

Customer of Aaron Rents (they rented an infested living room suite they say contained bed bugs) 2007

Summer Camp

Family sues YMCA Camp Storer claiming kid brought bed bugs home from camp 2008

College Students

Multiple Portland State University students sue landlord (Park Plaza Apartments) over bed bugs here and here. (01/2010)

Cleveland law students sue Reserve Square landlord — see Tenants below (11/2008).

This Fordham student sued the provider of third-party student housing in the New Yorker Hotel because of alleged bed bugs. (09/2007)

Hotel guests

June 2010: Woman sues University of Wisconsin System, claiming she was bitten 250 times in the Lowell Inn and Conference Center (owned by UW) in June 2007.

In March 2010, Ronald Rock wins Sarasota County jury suit after sustaining about sixty bed bug bites during a 2005 stay in the Venice Holiday Inn in Venice, Florida. The jury finds the hotel was negligent and awards Rock money to cover his past medical expenses, lost clothing and missed work time.

Woman stays in a San Francisco Ramada and gets 400 bed bug bites in three days; settles out of court for $71K. October 2008

Winnipeg Howard Johnson’s motel sued by Toronto resident, Steven Lipson
April 2008

Milford Plaza, NYC hotel guest sues hotel and hotel’s PCO for negligence, in progress, March 2008 (punitive damages dropped); Bedbugger and New York Law Journal

Ohio Hilton guest sustained 150 bed bug bites in two nights in a hotel, 2007

Guest of Roger Smith Hotel, NYC, 2007

Siloam Springs (bed bugs in motel caused nightmares) 2007

NYC Opera Soprano sustains 150 bed bug bites at the Phoenix Hilton Suites 2006

Mandarin Oriental, London here and here and here. 2006

Barona Resort and Casino Robert and Gloria Chisley suing for bed bug bites at resort (2005, still pending as of 2008).

Mathias v. Accor Economy Lodging, Inc. and Motel 6 Operating L.P. (2003) – the landmark bed bug lawsuit. This 2012 article suggests it is one of the largest judgments of bed bug liability.

Tenants

Faika Shabaan, a Maryland woman, sued her former landlord and was awarded $800K in compensatory damages for loss and suffering. The lawsuit argued that the landlord rented a unit which was known to have bed bugs, without disclosing this information, that he ignored other tenants’ complaints about bed bugs, and that he did not respond to the city’s code violation ordering him to hire a pest control operator to eliminate the problem, but instead self-treated using propane heaters (an attempt which failed to solve the problem). The landlord also shut off the tenant’s water in retaliation and evicted her in her absence, leading to a loss of property. The news media noted the plaintiff was awarded twice what she asked for, and more than twice what was awarded to the plaintiffs in Mathias v. Accor (2002), mentioned above. Read more here: “Maryland woman awarded $800K after landlord rented infested unit, refused to treat”. (5/2013)

Kristen Y. Saunders, a former tenant of Hunting Hills apartments in Baltimore, awarded $40K by Baltimore City Circuit Court. She claimed the owners/management responded too slowly (after 48 days), though management’s lawyers denied this. Saunders was represented by Daniel Whitney of Whitney and Bogris LLP (Towson, MD). You can read more here (10/2011).

Tenants in Jefferson City, Missouri awarded one month’s rent ($405) by Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District after landlord “did not do enough” to respond to tenants’ concerns about a bed bug problem.  Note: this appears to be based entirely on the presence of suspected bed bug bites; the landlord treated once despite the absence of visual evidence found by the PCO. This complex case is explored here (12/2010).

Marilyn Mitchell, a Woodbridge, NJ tenant who had bed bugs in her unit in the Kensington Apartments sued her landlord for negligence.  She lost her appeal: the “state appeals court supported a lower-court ruling in favor of Capitol Management Corp., saying Marilyn Mitchell did not prove that Capitol was negligent merely because of the presence of the bed bugs,” according to the Home News Tribune.  More on Woodbridge in Jersey (6/2010).

Tenants of Ligutti Tower and Elsie Mason Manor in Des Moines, Iowa file class action lawsuit covering about 250 elderly and disabled tenants of the building who lived with bed bugs, cockroaches, or rodents from 2007 to the present (3/2010).  Update: it looks like this case is finally going to trial (5/2013).

Portland State University student tenants sue private landlord (Park Plaza Apartments) (see College Students above) (01/2010).

Cleveland law student sues Reserve Square landlord after having bed bugs in two units (and gnats in a third) in one building (Nov. 2008).

Capricia Osirus of 23-25 Temple St. in Nashua, NH. (Aug. 2008)

Richard Jebb of 23-25 Temple St. in Nashua, NH. (Feb. 2008) Case lost, tenant counter-sued for back rent.

Presidential Towers in Chicago here and here and here. 2007

Maya Rudolph’s case: press is here. 2007

Six tenants vs. AIMCO 2007

Brooklyn tenant sues 2007

Peter H. Young (Ludlow Street, NYC)

See also:

Landlords talking about bed bugs and How to Avoid a Bed Bug Lawsuit (for lawyers)

Hotel lawyers talking about bed bugs here and here and here.

Your rights as a tenant and how to organize.

This won’t ever be comprehensive, but there are obvious gaps, so feel free to post comments below with additional links I might add.

Can you help me find a lawyer?

No, sorry. We are not a legal service, we’re not lawyers, and we haven’t sued.

I suggest reading the articles linked above and consulting some of the lawyers mentioned in cases which are similar to yours or which are in your vicinity.  Some lawyers may have begun leaving comments in the thread below this post.  Although the blog comments are not normally appropriate for advertising, I will allow lawyers to leave messages below, since some readers do seem to have an interest in and a difficulty finding a lawyer willing to take a bed bug case.

This FAQ gives advice on how to find legal aid, though this may be more suited to people seeking assistance with housing court and similar proceedings.

You may also find this post about Christian Hardigree’s Note: the podcast of the discussion between Hardigree and Brad Harbison is here: (and this 5/29/2008 PCT Podcast of a discussion between Hardigree and Harbison) helpful.

Updated 3/2012

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
1 nobugsonme August 8, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Updated 8/7/2007.

2 liat December 5, 2007 at 5:21 pm

hi
i am a social worker on a mental health team at a community clinic. we see clients on a weekly basis sometimes, and at their homes. more and more of our clients have bedbugs.
recently, i discovered i brought these bugs home.
the human ressources, the union, the safety at work department, . . . have no idea how to proceed with the case.
anyone else has a similar experience or any suggestions on how to respond to what i have to go through as a result of my work and for prevention in the futur.
thanks,
Liat

3 nobugsonme December 5, 2007 at 9:13 pm

liat,
getting bed bugs at work is increasingly a problem for people in many professions.
this post is about lawsuits.
You might want to read the other FAQs (click the blue FAQs button at top right, or Frequently Asked Questions in the top menubar) in the section about avoiding bed bugs while you travel. Even though you’re not “traveling” per se, many of the same recommendations will apply.
Other FAQs may help you now, as you work to eliminate your bed bugs.
If you have further questions, you can go to the forums (orange button top right or click “Get advice” in the top menu bar). But please do read the FAQs first as I expect you will find them useful.

4 Chris Howe February 29, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Need an attourney in the Phoenix/Mesa area. Have documented bed bug bites from hotel.

5 nobugsonme March 1, 2008 at 2:03 am

Hi Chris,

You might want to contact one of the lawyers mentioned in one of the suits above, or use the American Bar Association website for a lawyer referral.

6 nobugsonme March 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Added Milford Plaza info

7 Breakdown May 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Stayed at the airport for a long delayed flight and got on the plane, saw a blanket near my seat and put it down. one hour later I felt bumps on the plane, payed it no mind. Got to the hotel ad found out I was bitten five times on my leg through my jeans. Put some alcohol and stuff on, woke up there was a huge mass on my leg. Came home broke into hives and was bitten on my couch six times over the last couple of months. Cleaned, through my couch out, called an exterminator, went to the doctor, but I never saw what bit me and neither did the bug guy. Any advice on what to do now????

8 Gypsy May 22, 2008 at 6:11 pm

All I had to do was threaten the word “law suit and lawyer” to my management company, they settled outside of court. HOWEVER, I think in the end I lost out because they accepted the offer rather quickly. I should have done more homework and requested more money to replace things like electronics. BUT on the other hand, I had caught my management company in a direct lie, in writing (email). I put in all my requests via email so I have track record. After four years of dealing with this company, I finally got the proof I needed for the law suit. So while I’m still losing out in the end, at least I’m getting some compensation. Keep record of everything you send them. Start sending written requests, make copies, record each time you contact them by phone. Just keep trying.

9 violet June 17, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Hi
I read your info about the law case.
I just want some information from a lawyer.
Where do you live? How did you choose a lawyer?

10 Cody June 18, 2008 at 12:12 am

Breakdown, clearly if you haven’t had the bites since and don’t find evidence of the bugs, there is nothing you can do.

What the hell is with people who don’t have the problem thinking they can just run off and sue someone? Just be glad you don’t have them!

11 nobugsonme June 18, 2008 at 1:31 am

violet,

Please see my comment to Chris on March 1, 2008 above, suggesting ways to find a lawyer.

12 Tracy August 8, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Our Law Firm is handling bed bug cases in Michgian.

Varjabedian Attorneys, P.C.
248-355-0000

13 nobugsonme October 27, 2008 at 12:38 am

Added recent settlement in San Francisco Ramada case.

14 candidearth February 9, 2009 at 1:40 am

My son and I got eaten up by bed bugs staying in a cheap motel. We woke up to being bit and are suffering from several bites. I took pictures of these and when we told the manager that the room was infested, he offered 5 dollars off our next visit! He wrote the discount on the back of a business card. I couldn’t believe it, and it only confirmed that the management knew the room was infested. Do I have a case? and is there a lawyer in Dallas, Tx that could help me?

15 vacationer February 9, 2009 at 2:36 am

> Do I have a case?

I don’t know.

Is there a lawyer in Dallas….

I’m sure there is. I suggest finding someone who specializes in litigation (since that’s what you want to do), and I would try to find them by getting references from other people, rather than by looking for ads in the phone book or by asking the bar association. It’s my impression that the better lawyers already have enough business that they don’t need to advertise, and the people the B.A. sends you to have seemed to me pretty poor.

Anything with lawyers can be expensive. You should think/ask about how much damage you feel you’ve suffered and whether it seems likely you’d be able to recover that in court or not.

Let us know what happens.
– v

16 Rose silva February 22, 2009 at 4:20 am

Looking for a lawyer in Colorado; received over 45 bedbug bites. And the Homestead suites offered me a 200.00 settlement

17 Bitten to Sweats April 5, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Chris,

I stayed in a Phoenix hotel last year Nov. 08, Was seriously snacked on by bed bugs, went to a doctor, have perm. scars all over my body including my face, and have contiplated an attorney but didnt know where to look for a good one. Will you let me know if you have found a capable atty. for your issue. If you dont mind could you share that name and connection with me?
Thanks

forever scarred

18 nobugsonme April 6, 2009 at 12:37 am

Bitten to Sweats,

I suggest reading some of the linked articles above and noting the lawyers who have often participated in multiple bed bug cases.

Good luck!

19 Hector April 24, 2009 at 9:32 am

I’ve just read a web post of a man that was bitten by bed bugs at the same place that i was bitten. We were staying in San Diego of last year when checking out in the morning, we discover we have been suck and stuck pretty well. Our family of 5 suffered numerous of bites, we sustained a over 1000 bites, my daughter = 344 bites, my son1 = 426, my son2 = 139, my wife = 136 and myself = 69. I have good photos and records. I’ve been working with the Hotel assurance to be compensated. As of 4/22/09, I’ve given-up with them. I’m currently looking to find an Attorney that will handle my case. I currently reside in Arizona, the incident happen in San Diego. Can anyone help?
Reach me at ba69u@yahoo.com

20 tasha May 10, 2009 at 8:30 pm

hi,
i recently went to stay in fort. lauderdale , fl.hotel when the next morning i woke up and my daughter was complaining about “mosquito bites”, not while you sleep i told her but when she showed me her legs i was surprised but i didnt think it was bed bugs. now im back home in nj close to a month later and found bug bites all over my body, the night before i slept in my daughters bed and i decided to change her sheets……5 mins. later she’s screaming about a bug on her quilt…..it was a bed bug! i then flipped the mattress over and found about 10 of them. now i found them in my bed. i cant sleep thru the night, im not comfortable in my own home and im not sure what to do. should i pursue it as a lawsuit against the hotel i stayed at? i took pictures of my body with the bites on them and got a report from my hospital about it. please contact me back about this…….thanks!!!

21 nobugsonme May 11, 2009 at 12:08 am

Hi tasha,

I am not a lawyer and cannot advise you. You would need to consult a lawyer about whether you have a case.

I hope you will get a good experienced professional to inspect and treat your home ASAP. You can take photos of bites and other evidence and save receipts and samples, in case you need them.

22 Boydfamily May 16, 2009 at 10:21 am

In August of 2008 my family of 7 moved to this Beautiful 5 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood in Thornton, CO. This house was incredible but little did we know we weren’t alone. The first week I was ate alive every night but my husband was sure it was skeeters because it was raining so much. By the end of the season, I was still being eaten alive and so were most of the family. Soon we decided it might be fleas and took steps to remedy that but found we were still being eaten every night. In November my husband found what was to become a hellish nightmare crawling across the bed. He picked it up and said its a bed bug. I said don’t even joke about that. We didn’t know then what a horror bed bugs were. Soon we looked it up online and found out how bad it could be.

We notified the landlord who told us to try and deal with it ourselves. We tried everything and nothing worked. Finally in January I called Orkin and got an inspection. They told us it was the worse they had seen. We had them out even in the day time. At any given time you could see several on any wall in any room including the bathroom. The landlord had to be threatened by Orkin (they said they would call the Health Board and have the house condemned) to get the house sprayed. In the meantime the water heater also went out so he told us to just move out.

We told him no and he finally paid for Orkin. After only 2 sprays (Orkin recommended at least 4) the landlord evicted us and told Orkin they were not to come back until we were out. He wouldn’t allow us anymore sprays to be sure they were gone and we didn’t transfer them to a new house so we had to trash all our furniture and beds.

We went to court and got a stipulation that stated we could stay for a month and the landlord would also supply us with a roll off dumpster to trash all our stuff. We destroyed everything so no one would take it out of the trash and infest their home. We called the health board on him to be sure the house was safe for the new tenants, we put ads on Craigslist telling people that house was infested and I even went to the house and told the new tenants everything. I hope they are safe.

Now we are considering suing him for our lost stuff. I really am traumatized by the whole thing and am so panicky whenever I feel something crawling on me at night. My daughter has scars from the bites and I lost a lot of stuff from these bugs. I hope no one ever goes through what we did. You rent a beautiful house and find such a horror is inside. We now think we are bed bug free. Its been 2 months since the move and we haven’t seen a bug in about a month. The first month after we only saw like 5-6 total. Maybe we won…

One last thing I want to add. Don’t try to fight these bugs yourself. The sprays in the stores only kill the bugs, not the eggs. You really need an exterminator to win. Don’t even waste your time on home remedies. You’ll just end up out more money then you would if you just called Orkin or someone like that. Also check your state laws, many say the landlord is responsible for getting rid of it if you didn’t cause the infestation. If you move into it, its their responsibility to fix the problem…

If I find a good lawyer in Colorado I will post his name.

23 chin liang August 12, 2009 at 5:17 am

where i can find lawyer that halding bed bug lawsuit in Dallas?

24 drpepperbud September 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm

where can i find alawyer for the couch from rentacenter that was totally infested and now so is the house and my four children are in a total panic, RAC keeps laughing at me in our hometown store. Even told my neighbors i was a joke!!!

25 nobugsonme September 14, 2009 at 2:17 pm

drpepperbud,

Articles about a case generally mention the lawyer’s name. I would recommend looking at the lawyers mentioned in the articles linked above. I would choose lawyers who either worked on furniture rental or new furniture sales cases, or who are on other types of bed bug cases linked above, but who are in your geographical area.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

26 atomicbetty November 6, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Would like info about filing a lawsuit against management of condo building in New Jersey. Apparantly, infestation was well known for a long period of time. Nothing was done to prevent spread through large building. Bought condo – had inspection – no evidence and no information was given. Now, 2 years later, my condo is overtaken. Don’t know responsibility of condo management. Any thoughts?

27 Di November 6, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I sold a coworker on mine a couch back in April of 2009 and now in September of 2009 and he is claiming that I gave him the bed bugs witch I’ve never had and until this day thank god I don’t. I have been giving him back a $100 out of the $200 that he gave me for the couch and the only reason I gave him that money is because his harassing me at work. I live in a condominium complex wish hold 18 unites and no one in my building have them. He has now threaten to take me to court what do you think I should do? do you think he has a cease?

28 nobugsonme November 6, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Hi Di,

We are not lawyers and can’t give legal advice.

I also do not know all the details of when bed bugs first appeared, but it can be difficult to prove how bed bugs got into a home. (Sometimes, on the other hand, it seems more obvious.) I would suggest consulting a lawyer if he is threatening to sue. Good luck and sorry you have to deal with that.

29 nobugsonme November 6, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Hi atomicbetty,

As I said to Di, we’re not lawyers and cannot give legal advice. That said, you should talk to a lawyer, you may well have a case. Good luck!

30 bedbugs_suck December 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Same situation as Boydfamily except it was a purchase of a home. My wife (who was 5 months pregnant at the time) 4 year old son and I purchased a house in Ottawa, CA. After living in the house for 10 days my wife started complaining about itchy welts on her arms and legs. Someone joked to us about bedbugs. It turned out to be true. We found out that the previous owners had a problem just 2 1/2 months before the sale, treated twice over 2 weeks. Nobody lived in the house for 2 months and than they listed for sale. How could they know that the problem was taken care of???? They obviously did not disclose the fact of the bedbugs to us. We have moved in and out 4 times now and done several treatments. The worst part has to be explaining to your 4 year old that we don’t know for sure if the problem is fixed when he asked you as you are tucking him in at night. We have gutted the house tossed out at least half of our belonings, because we can’t be sure if it OK or not, and finally rebuilt and moved back in. We had a K-9 inspection twice. First time there were allerts thoughout the house and than we gutted and treated. Second inspection came up clean. We had Abell for the first few treatments and than they left us high and dry. We than went with Orkin for the last few and they were excellent. We have been back in the house for 5 weeks and nothing yet. We were very happy to celebrate our daughters first birthday in OUR home, unfortunatly alone because we do not want to have people over just in case. We have been dealing with this for 13 months. We file our lawsuit next week. Wish us luck!!!! Lets hope that the legal system works and we can protect other people from this happening to them. I can’t tell you how much this has cost us financially and emotionally.

31 bedbugs_suck December 1, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Sorry it should be Ottawa Canada not California (CA) in previous post. Eh!

32 nobugsonme January 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Added Portland State U students’ lawsuit (cross-listed under College Students and Tenants).

33 bedbugsuit February 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm

We are a law firm in New Jersey taking bed bug cases. Call 267-808-5874.

34 Jenny March 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I’m looking for a law firm who would like to represent me in a bed bug case at the El Conquistador Resort Waldorf Astoria Collection in Puerto Rico.

35 THE ZEMEL LAW FIRM March 9, 2010 at 10:59 pm

We are a full service New Jersey law firm. One of our specialties is representing people that have been bitten by bed bugs in their apartment, hotel, or motel. Call Fred Zemel, Esq . at 973-622-5297 for a serious lawyer on your side!

36 nobugsonme March 10, 2010 at 12:59 am

Normally, advertising in our comments is not permitted. However, given that people seem to have trouble finding lawyers to work with them on bed bug cases, I will leave the message up.

Potential clients, please note: we do not know anything about or endorse any lawyers who post their details here.

37 KENDA March 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm

HELLO;

WE ARE NEEDING HELP BAD ! OUR APARTMENT HAS BEEN
INFESTED WITH BED BUGS SINCE JAN. 15, 2010. OUR LAND-
LORD HAS HAD OUR APARTMENT SPRAYED(SPOTTED) FOUR
TIMES BY AN EXTERMINATOR. WE FOUND OUT WE GOT THE
BED BUGS FROM OUR NEIGHBORS ACROSS THE HALL FROM US.
THE OTHER APARTMENT HAS BEEN SPRAYED THE SAME, BUT
THEY ALSO CLOSED THEIR APARTMENT PUT BUG BOMBS OFF
TWICE, WHICH THEY HAVE NOT DONE FOR US.
WE HAVE EXPLAINED THAT WE CANNOT KEEP LIVING IN THIS
CONDITION, AS WE HAVE BEEN GETTING BITES ALL THE TIME.
WE HAVE KEPT THE LIVE AND DEAD BED BUGS, TAKEN PICTURES
OF OUR BITES, AND THE BUGS AND THE DATES, AND THIS MONTH
FEBRUARY 2010,THEY TOOK SOME MONEY OFF OUR RENT. IN
FEBRUARY ALONE WE PUT OUT $ 80.00 WASHING ALL OUR CLOTHES
WHICH DIDN’T PHASE THEM.
I HAVE SEVERE ANXIETY ,DEPRESSION,DISABLED FROM TWO BACK
OPERATIONS AND A HEART ATTACK, MY SPOUSE HAS MULTIPLE
SCLEROSIS, WE ARE BOTH HARD OF HEARING, NEEDLESS TO SAY WE
ARE DISABLED, BOTH ON SSD. AS OF THIS DATE, TODAY, WE FOUND
ANOTHER BED BUG, STILL GETTING BITES, AND MY NERVES ARE SHOT!!!!!
I CAN’T SLEEP GOOD, BECAUSE I’M AFRAID OF GETTING BIT. I HAVE TO
WRAP MY HAIR IN SCARVES, MAKE SURE WE WEAR LONG SLEEVES ECT.
WE NEED HELP ASAP ON WHAT TO DO. I ASKED THEM HOW WOULD THEY LIKE TO LIVE IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS, THEIR ANSWER” THEY WOULDN’T”.
I ALSO HAVE MASCULAR DEG IN MY EYES, THAT IS WHY THIS IS ALL LARGE.
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE US, WE ARE DESPERATE.WE LIVE
IN BILLINGS, MONTANA
SINCERELY,
F&C KENDA
[phone deleted]

38 nobugsonme March 11, 2010 at 6:38 pm

F&C Kenda, I am so sorry you are going through this.

If neighbors have bed bugs (and your neighbor across the hall may not be the only one), they can keep coming to you. Also, bug bombs are NOT a good idea where bed bugs are concerned. They can cause them to dig deeper into your home and to spread to others. They do NOT get rid of bed bugs. It is good your home was not bombed but your neighbors need to stop doing this and other neighbors and the landlord need to be educated about bug bombs not being a good idea for bed bugs.

The bottom line is that all infested units in the building need to be detected (first) and then treated, with repeat treatments until the whole building is bed bug free. Tenants need to cooperate with preparation and treatment.

Since you have had four treatments, and things are quite desperate, it is time to consider calling whatever local (city/county/state) agency is responsible for enforcing housing codes. I do not know the local laws but if landlords are responsible for treating pests, then they should be able to help. In some areas, the local health department is also able to step in. If either agency can come in and confirm you have a problem in your building, they may be able to enforce proper treatment of the building.

Some people have had success by calling local news channels and getting a journalist to do a story on their building. There are pluses and minuses to that approach, but that may be another thing to try.

However, I would first try to find out what your rights are and who to go to if you have a complaint. I have just done a search for Montana tenants rights, and came up with this PDF which lists a number of resources.

One which looked especially promising was the Montana Public Interest Research Group, the services of which the PDF says include

Rights and responsibilities of Montana renters and landlords. Information on rental agreements, security deposits, responsibilities, etc., and other available resources.

If you look on their website and call them you should be able to find out what your rights are and what to do next.

Web site: http://www.montpirg.org/
E-mail: mthotline@pirg.org
Phone: 888.345.7474 (if outside Missoula)
406.243.2907 (in Missoula area)

I hope this is helpful somehow. If you need support from other sufferers, please come to our forums.

39 Jean March 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I live in minnesota, in a HUD approved apartment. The upstairs neighbor had bedbugs. She told the landlord and all the other tenants, showed us what they look like and what her bites looked like, and burned every single possession when she moved out. The landlord’s daughter treated the apartment. Another tenant moved in. Within a month, the new tenant set off a bug bomb and moved out: yup, it was bedbugs! At this time, the bedbugs moved into our apartment, and I’ve been fighitng with the landlord ever since! (The upstairs apartment was again treated for bedbugs by his daughter, and has remained empty ever since. Sep. 2009 to current.) The landlord swears my apartment is the only one that has bedbugs at this time: he doesn’t seem to understand they could actually still be there, dormant! He refuses to hire a professional come in and treat the building, which has 6 apartments and a business. I contacted Legal Aid of Minnesota. They sent him a letter. He retaliated by calling HUD for a 24 hour advanced notice “housekeeping inspection,” which our apartment passed with no problems. During this inspection, I gave the inspector a copy of my copy of the letter from Legal Aid and told him the issue is bedbugs. He told the landlord he has to treat for bedbugs, but said specifically that he ~does not~ need to hire a pro, and didn’t say anything about getting the rest of the building treated! There are so many entrances into my apartment from the the adjacent apartments (for bedbugs, anyway!) – and from my apartment into the boiler room, which had previously had a mouse infestation. 1 – In all likelihood, the treatment the landlord will do in my apartment will fail. 2 – It’s highly likely that even if his treatment works in this apartment, it will be re-infested because of the adjacent apartments and the boiler room, which has mice. One segment of the wall in my living room is pegboard, the fan in the bathroom has very large spaces where bedbugs can come in, there is paint peeling on the ceiling where nails have started to peek through as the building has shifted over the years, and there is a 1 x 3 1/2 inch rectangular hole cut into one wall for no reason we can determine… Such easy access for vermin!

We’re getting bit, our cats are getting bit, and we see no relief in sight! (Anger, depression, frustration, the whole works – and I can’t even go to my counselor because they don’t want bedbugs! This is taking a serious toll on us!)

:”( J

40 Goddess Bembry March 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I’m a flight attendant and I was on an overnight stay in Kentucky last Friday, March 12, 2010 at an area hotel and was bitten over 150+ times by bedbugs. I have been looking for an attorney and have not retained on as of yet. If there is anyone out there that can take my case please contact me at Fly.goddess@yahoo.com. I have been to the doctor at least three times already. Having difficulty sleeping and can’t stop itching. I do have pictures of the bites and a picture of the bugs on the bed in hotel. Please help me! I am afraid that I may end up losing my job if I don’t get some help with this!

41 Chan April 7, 2010 at 1:24 am

I live in CA but was bitten in a hotel in Reno, NV. Do I need a lawyer from NV or CA? If I want to take them to small claims court, do I file in CA or NV? I have pictures of the bed, the hotel security taking pictures and collecting bugs plus pictures of my welts from the bites. I have medical bills and missed several days of work, I want the hotel to pay for my expenses. Can anyone help? Please email me, thanks!

42 Chan April 7, 2010 at 1:25 am

Please email me at beanie111@gmail.com, thanks!

43 nobugsonme April 7, 2010 at 7:21 am

Chan,

I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice. I also do not know the answer to your question, though I note that several of the cases indexed here have lawsuits filed outside of the state in which the incident occurred, which leads me to believe you can contact a lawyer local to you.

You may also find this post about Christian Hardigree’s podcast on bed bug lawsuits (which itself no longer seems to be available) helpful.

44 Linda April 19, 2010 at 6:12 am

I recently stayed at a hotel in Cincinnati and came home with bite marks on my back, stomach, legs, and the bottoms of my feet. Is is excruitiating. I am tyring to find a lawyer in Ohio who can help. thank you.

45 nobugsonme April 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Hi Linda,

Please read the last part of the article above AND the previous comment: we can’t recommend a lawyer but do suggest several roads you can go down. Good luck!

46 Linda April 19, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Not a problem – was reading through your site and saw mention of a firm in Michigan where I live – I have already contacted them. Yes – I saw your notice. The best info always comes from people leaving a comment. That is what I was hoping for here.

47 nobugsonme April 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Hi Linda!

I understand completely. I hope you get a good recommendation.

48 Sarah May 20, 2010 at 8:09 am

Can i sued a furniture place that sold me used bed full of bed bugs?

49 jeanette nixon July 11, 2013 at 8:28 am

i got bedbugs bites at hotel last friday i wont no if i have law sue

50 nobugsonme July 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Hi Jeanette,

If you want to know if you have a case that could be pursued in court, you need to speak to a lawyer. The attorney will listen to your story, and tell you if it is worth pursuing.

Reading the posts in the FAQ above, you will come across some lawyers who are mentioned as having tried many such cases and these may be good people to contact.

Most people who are bitten by bed bugs don’t sue, but some do. Good luck to you!

51 Nelson July 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm

My home was infested with bed bugs. Some one brought them into my home that was is States Custody. Their policy states that if it was caused by them (which we proved and notified by the State that the placement came from a place that had bed bugs) if any thing happend they would take care of it. This started all most a year ago. At first the State told us try to take care of them your self. If we have know better then we would have sad no. After 2 months of trying our selves we had no luck. We used foggers and spray and as we know now is we just spread them out more. Then the State hired a exterminator. They treated the house for over 8 months with local spraying treatment. The State and the exterminator blamed us for not helping them enough and we were the problem the exterminator could not get rid of them. We tried by throwing away any furniture the bed bugs might be in. As we know now uncorrect treatment only spreads them out more. We had finally had enough and told the State something needs to be done my familly can not live through this any longer. The State hired another exterminator which just hosed our home down with pesticdies and fogged the entire house. My wife and I watched while this was being done and knew something was not right. The exterminator and the State we could go back into the house after 8 hours of the house airing out and wipe down and surfaces. Lucky we did not, we contacted the State Agriculture Dept to have them do some testing. We just about hit the ground when we heard what the results were. Readings of pesticide levels were the highest they had even seen and we were ordered not to go into the home again. All so the exterminator used a banned pesticde that was only used for outdoor treatment. We do have a attorney which is making head way. As of today my home is worthless and all of my belongs are worthless. My family is split up know in different temp housing. If any one gets bed bugs please use heat to treat them it cost a lot but its the only safe way to rid them. My family has gone through hell and will never be the same.

52 nobugsonme July 21, 2013 at 1:29 am

Hi Nelson,
Sorry you’re going through that and I hope your family recovers soon.
I am glad you’re speaking to a lawyer and please let us know what happens when it’s all over.

53 txmistygrl July 21, 2013 at 5:44 am

I have never had or even seen bed bugs until a month ago. My husband and I are staying at a motel on a weekly basis (not by choice). The first room we were in, the mosquitos were horrid and so were the roaches. They moved us into another room 2weeks later. I would have rather dealt with the roaches! Every morning I was waking up with bites that I would scratch skin off because of the itching. We do have a little dog and I just figured it was fleas. Treated for those, no relief from the bites and itching, still. Then, one night I saw something crawlin on top of the comforter. I crushed it and with it full of blood, tick. A few nights later, 2 more. This time, I did some research. We’ve got bed bugs!!! I kept the ones I killed with tweezers and a flashlight! I nt the motel office, told them, showed them to the manager, and both assistant managers and the reply I got, “those aren’t bed bugs!!! So I got my phone, pulled up all the research made sure I had my little baggie of the 74 adults that I pulled off and out of my mattress and showed them I’m not stupid! Well, I’ve been bringing up to the office everyday about doing SOMETHING! Can i sue them? In the meantime, I’ve been eaten alive! Well, today it’s been a month since I reported it to the manager, the ‘help’ from him has been, giving me stuff to kill ants, spiders anhdd roaches. Oh and one can of spray for bedbugs but had to be shared by 7 rooms! And after all these weeks of showimg them all my bites and all the ones that I kill on a daily basis, to have a worthless exterminator come in, look at my mattress and tell me I have bed bugs!!! Can I due them for a month of torment and still nothing is being done?

54 Nelson July 21, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thanks nobugsonme. Thanks for the forum and will post up dates. Sorry I can be more detailed due to its a legal matter.

55 nobugsonme July 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Nelson, You’re right to be concerned! Good luck!

56 nobugsonme July 21, 2013 at 10:28 pm

txmistygrl,
You would need to consult a lawyer about whether you have a case. The post above gives some suggestions on finding one (including low cost or pro bono assistance).
As for solving the problem, you might consider calling the health dept. for the city or county, which should investigate.
Good luck!