Bed bugs on the BBC News, a short segment, via YouTube. The PCO on this interview blames the British origins of bed bugs to hotels travelers used at the Sydney Olympic Games. Some of the footage is creepy, but the footage of cast off shells and droppings on the headboard are very informative. Originally aired 1/20/2007.

Also, CBC Marketplace had a longer spot on Bed bugs. It’s about 15 minutes long and very, very good–absolutely the best news segment I’ve seen on bed bugs, and first aired on 2/7/2007. The CBC has it all:

• An interview with Caitlin, of the BedBugBlog and the founder of the Yahoo Bedbugger Group (Yay, we love Caitlin!);
  • Ben (who isn’t affected) and Melody (who got 12-20 bites a night), Vancouver tenants whose landlord refused to pay for treatment, despite their being no evidence they introduced the bed bugs, and despite Vancouver’s clear laws that the landlordpays for bed bug extermination;
  • Footage of Ben and Melody’s mattress cover and what it’s covering, the cushion where a sofa used to sit, footage of Melody getting ready for bed (including a hoodie, and mittens); footage of the reporter donning a respirator mask to walk along with the PCO on extermination visit #3, and finally, what happens next for the couple;
  • CBC reporter and entomology grad student ransacking three Vancouver hotel rooms to find no bed bugs–but wonderful details of how to look for those wanting more information on that;
  • An interview with the Chicago lawyer to have won the only bed bug hotel lawsuit which has gone to trial so far: the Canadian plaintiffs won $200,000 each from Motel6 in Chicago; it’s worth noting that other cases since then have only settled out of court (though it’s likely many plaintiffs were given nice payoffs to keep their traps shut about their horrible hotel experiences);
  • An entomology grad student from Simon Frasier U: yet more footage of researchers and even the CBC reporter herself “feeding” the research colony. If that sounds gross, I promise the rest of the film is so worth it, you won’t mind.

Thanks to BedbugCity who emailed me the tip. Please–if you haven’t done so, register your infestation at these two bed bug registries: BedbugCity and the They’re completely separate, and anonymous, and registering infested addresses with them gives others the chance to be warned, before they’re the next suckas who move into your bed bug infested building, or stay in your bed bug infested hotel room.

1 mgdecombe February 21, 2007 at 1:04 am

Thanks for posting this. I believe that this story is a sign that we are reaching the tipping point.

Excellent coverage, fact checking, practical advice… This is what the public needs from a media that has, at best, simply used fear of bedbugs to increase ratings, without addressing practical ways in which people can protect themselves.

2 Bugalina February 21, 2007 at 9:07 am

Please advise me how to see the entire segment..for some reason I only got to see the first minute or so..any advice please ?? Deb

3 Bugalina February 21, 2007 at 9:20 am

Apparently I don’t have the proper plugin to view it..Deb

4 nobugsonme February 21, 2007 at 10:01 am

If you view the CBC segment via the link above, it is long. If you view it via YouTubs, where it’s also available, it’s only a minute or so. If you’re on a mac, it will play through QuickTime (open Quicktime in your applications menu, click FIle, Open URL and copy and paste in this URL:
Does that help?
As you can see, I seriously think everyone needs to see this one!

5 S. February 21, 2007 at 12:33 pm

This CBC video is so, so good. Go Caitlin! I almost cried seeing her – she is like my hero.

And the couple are just like me and my boyfriend.

6 nobugsonme February 21, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Isn’t it great, S.?

(Did anyone else worry, as I did, when they moved into the new place: um, what did you take, how did you do that?)

What strikes me about this video is how differently journalists can deal with the same information.

The CBC really could not have interviewed a couple that better represents average experiences of bed bug sufferers, in my opinion. From the bed to the pajamas to the landlord’s reaction, it’s all there. And they’re obviously not “dirty” or “hysterical”, but people viewers can identify with, and say “Oh my, what a nightmare”.

Other people have been interviewed elsewhere and said similar things, though, and other journalists have painted a wacky picture. To the point where many of us do not want to be interviewed. I commend the CBC for placing the blame in the right areas: nasty bed bugs and responsibility-shirking landlords and hotels.

7 nobugsonme February 21, 2007 at 1:06 pm

hey mgdecombe–
still bed bug free? i hope so!
glad you stopped by.

8 S. February 21, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Yes yes yes! I did the same thing. I went, “Wait, so they moved, and that’s the end? That isn’t real life! How did they move? What did they keep and what did they toss? Are they bedbug-free in their new place? How’s their new landlord? Are they in a smaller building? How long has it been?” Funny. I guess they can’t cover everything in 15 minutes – that’s why we have this blog. 🙂 Maybe Melody will write in?

And yeah, it was such a relief that they were so normal. They were young, cool, and seemed intelligent. The whole tone made them out to be just like you and me. Thank goodness.

9 Bugaboo February 21, 2007 at 5:05 pm

Please please please if someone has moved tell us with what, etc. The bugs are in the floorboards (they are sooo deep) and the landlord won’t fix them,so unless I move I will be fighting them forever!

10 nobugsonme February 21, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Bugaboo, it’s really hard to move. Read the other post we did about that (see archives for February).

On a more positive note, if the bed bugs STAYED in the floorboards, they would not be biting you. They come out to do so. If they come out, they can be killed.

11 nobugsonme February 21, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Bugalina, if the URL ending in .wmv does not work, try this URL first in the browser:

If that does not work try it in Quicktime (Open URL).

12 CrazyonME February 22, 2007 at 6:32 pm

They are in Cincinnati too.
Just had my house treated after finding one on the drapes by my bed. I had been looking for any signs since finding out that someone who had been staying at my house had been at an infested home. I called the Board of Health here and was told there are no laws that you have to reveal an infestation. I don’t understand that at all. If they find head lice on a kid, the school will send home letters to all the parents to inspect their kids. Why a taxpayer supported shelter or group home doesn’t have to divulge an infestation to potential victims of these little vampires I am not understanding. These things can not only be expensive to compat but you cannot put a price on what they do to your mental health. Eveyone exposed to this situation and are now aware keep feeling phamthon bugs crawing on them. I can’t sleep without the lights on. Every time the room gets dark, I know they are out there waiting to feed on me.

13 mgdecombe February 23, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Still crossing fingers here. I got bites on my eyelid since posting that I thought we were in the clear. We’re back to a 2-week spray schedule, and have done some other things to improve our chances this time for 100% eradication.

Working lots, too busy to comment much, but I’m keeping an eye on the great work you’re doing here. Will send you an update in a month or so to let you know if our new strategy is completely successful.

14 strangedays February 23, 2007 at 10:46 pm

They can bite “just an eyelid?” and not the eyeball?
my goodness gracious, I’m flabbergasted!
Are we all doomed?

15 jessinchicago February 23, 2007 at 10:58 pm

MGD- I’m wishing you good luck in your efforts. It’s been a long old haul, but, as usual, you seem to be keeping your head on straight and taking it one day at a time. I know you’ll win.

16 jessinchicago February 24, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I just watched the CBC video for the first time. It was amazing. I seriously considered forwarding it to all the people in my office who travel frequently (I might not, though, considering my coworkers have just recently stopped referring to me as “Bedbug Jess”).

Did you guys notice what the lawyer said towards the end of the segment? He said something like “I don’t want to make too much of this, but people who are fed on by bedbugs in hotels feel betrayed and they feel violated. It’s something that they never really get over.” I was thinking, imagine LIVING with them!!! I’m not saying we won’t get over this, because I know we will (I am), but when we hear someone talk about the trauma publicly, it really kind of validates what we go through.

Melody captured the experience really well when she said “I was getting 12 to 20 bites a night. Yeah, imagine trying to sleep! You don’t sleep. You just don’t sleep.” So true.

I’m angry about her landlord situation and I’m angry that the hotel industry truly believes the situation is blown out of proportion. It seems they continue to sweep the bedbug problem under the mat as best they can- using “hush money” to keep victims quiet! It’s a terrible shame, because if the hotel industry would just accept the role it plays instead of trying to hide from it, then at least that aspect of the spread could be better controlled.

Thanks for posting this, Nobugs. It really was the best we’ve seen. And it was great to see Caitlin! She’s so humble and brave. Good stuff.