Bedbugger Jess: almost famous!

by nobugsonme on December 30, 2006 · 11 comments

in bed bugs, celebrities with bed bugs, humor

We’re very proud of our Jess and her “An Open Letter to my Bedbugs” which was posted anonymously on Craigslist. The author’s identity is known only to Bedbuggers, as far as I can tell. And that’s in no small part due to Jess’s modesty, which is as prevalent as her writing talent.
Now Jess’s piece has been cited in US Magazine, which at the closing of an article on SNL star Maya Rudolph’s bed bug lawsuit says:

(Meanwhile, check out this “Open Letter to My Bedbugs” on Craigslist which is funnier than anything Lorne Michaels’ laugh factory has produced in years.)

Congratulations, Jess!

1 jessinchicago December 30, 2006 at 8:06 pm

Oh my God!!! Nobugs!!!! I can’t believe you did that. Okay, yes I can. I hope you know how much I appreciate the recognition, even though I’m hiding underneath my desk because I’m so embarrassed (which is making it really tough to type, by the way).

Many many hugs from Chicago.

Jess

P.S. As a side note, I got a ton of responses to that post, and EVERY single one of them referred to me as a guy. In fact, they started calling me “Bed Bug Boy” on Chicago Craigslist for a time. I always wondered what it was about the post that made people think it was written by a man. I suppose it could be the vile language, of course. Hehehe. Or perhaps it’s much easier to picture a male having bedbug problems than a female? Any thoughts, Bedbuggers?

2 hopelessnomo' December 30, 2006 at 9:15 pm

I thought you were a guy too! Male syntax?

I like your writer’s voice, either way, talking to your bedbugs or to us.

Congrats!

3 buggedinbrooklyn December 30, 2006 at 11:14 pm

grats jess…
and yes, I too thought you were a guy.

buggedinbrooklyn

4 nobugsonme December 31, 2006 at 12:56 am

Hee hee.

See, folks, I TOLD you she was super-modest. (Now, Jess, folks are gonna start coming in off the linkback from US magazine, and eventually, they’re going to be asking for your name, so they can make you famous. Be warned. I’ll forward all enquiries to you.)

I did notice how everyone in the blogosphere thought you were a lad. I didn’t think she was a guy–perhaps because my first thought was–wow, this person sounds just like ME! (Though perhaps people think I’m a guy too, I haven’t asked lately!)

5 bugalina December 31, 2006 at 8:22 am

Happy New Year to All…….I thought more along the lines that ZENA THE WARRIOR PRINCESS had written this, of course to be honest I read it after having met Jess…online..but that Warrior personality comes thru….The essay made me laugh out loud, and I agree with Lady K that I heard myself it in…
We need Zena the Princess Warrior of bed bugs to keep spreading her battle cries !! We cannot stop until they are conquered !!! Remember, they were once before, and with our collective efforts they will be again. Death to Bed Bugs
I wish you all peace and good health for 2007..

6 jessinchicago January 1, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Thanks guys, gals, et al…

Death to bedbugs, Bugalina!!! I will march down 5th Avenue with you ANYTIME.

Who’s up for a bedbug protest? Anyone?

Jess

7 Bugalina January 2, 2007 at 10:15 am

Yes…silly as it sounds..I think it might come to that… A bed bug protest down 5th Ave….I wonder how Bloomberg will react when I apply for the permit !!
Death to Bed Bugs…Peace to Those in need of Sleep !!!

8 buggedinbrooklyn January 2, 2007 at 12:09 pm

bugalina,

apply for that permit, and I’ll be the first one to show up and hand out signs.

buggedinbrooklyn

9 Bugalina January 2, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Its not a bad idea….I will look into it…I think its best to wait until warmer weather…around april..more people will be likely to show up…Something like an organized protest…that we demand recognition of the problem…the more vocal the sooner the recognition and the sooner the recognition the sooner hopefully something will be given that kills them….I have said all along that the stress of having bed bugs is more harmful to my health than any pesticide is !

10 persephone86 February 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

Jess,

I am a fellow Chicagoan and I know I am reading your letter about 3 years later, but it made me laugh so much here at work, I literally spit out my coffee. Good god, was it hysterical. Thank you for writing this. It’s everything I’ve been feeling since my battle began with these bastards in November. Seriously made my day!

{ 1 trackback }