The bloodsuckers are here – no, not the bed bugs, silly

by bugzinthehood on December 5, 2006 · 8 comments

in bed bugs, bed bugs in hotels, housing laws, tipping point

Nota Bene: This is not a recommendation or endorsement

From a personal injury lawyer clearinghouse website. Thar’s gold in them thar cymexes.

Bedbugs Overview

“If you have been the victim of bedbug infestation, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit

If you or a family member has been injured, just fill out the online questionnaire and have a personal injury lawyer review your potential personal injury claim – free of charge.”

1 deb December 5, 2006 at 9:39 pm

This is actually good news….I have been waiting for them to jump on the “bedbug gravy train”….the more trouble bedbugs cause the sooner “the powers that be” are going to recognize the need to stop putzing around and give us some real muscle to kill these monsters !!!

2 test December 6, 2006 at 2:07 am

HI Bugz,
Can you add a link to the relevant site?

3 bugzinthehood December 6, 2006 at 2:27 am

Sorry, I deliberately did not put a link because I don’t want any trouble from this group of lawyers, since I used a somewhat pejorative term, although it could have been worse.

If you do a Google search for lawyers, law firms, lawsuits and bed bugs, you’ll find either them or another easily

4 deb December 6, 2006 at 7:33 am

Lawyers sharpen your pencils…..On your mark..get ready…GO !
There are going to be more bed bugs lawsuits than you can handle !!

5 nobugsonme December 6, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I think Deb has a point. As much as I hate the prevalence of lawsuits in our society, something has got to convince people that this matters.

However, look at this news from York, PA:

“Ruth Sharp of Dover filed a lawsuit against the Economy Inn at 132 N. George St. yesterday, claiming the motel rented her a room in June that was infested with bedbugs.

The lawsuit claims the creepy crawlers bit Sharp on the legs, neck, chest and back while she was staying at the motel on June 7. As a result of the bites, Sharp suffered severe itching, damage to her nervous system, extensive lesions and several other injuries, according to the lawsuit filed in the York County Court of Common Pleas yesterday.

Sharp’s attorney, Gregory Martin, said his client is suing the motel for her medical expenses and compensation in case she has any permanent “disfigurement” as a result of the bites.

But Economy Inn owner Babu Patel said yesterday that his motel does not have bedbugs, and he is considering countersuing Sharp for making false claims against his business.

“We don’t have any bedbug problem,” Patel said.”

… lawsuits = publicity and pressure to solve problem (good)
but lawsuits also = people lying about the existence of bed bugs (bad)

6 deb December 6, 2006 at 8:42 pm

That is the chaos that is going to happen….I tend to side with Ms. Sharp…just because I have traveled a great deal and I know the conditions of motel/hotel rooms…some, nothing short of disgusting…I have checked into many a room only to check out immediately…….I too am totally against frivolous lawsuits however , there is nothing frivolous about bedbugs… advice to the hotel/motel industry….People…you had better start lobbying for an effective pesticide, because you are going to see lots of lawsuits coming your way because of bedbugs in your establishments !!!!! Deb

7 jessinchicago December 6, 2006 at 10:48 pm

I got a creepy feeling when I read the York, PA article. Don’t get me wrong– I am all for the rights of victims of bedbug infestations and had I been bit in a hotel room, there would be hell to pay.

But it cannot be good for our cause for people to go overboard when filing lawsuits. It kind of makes the suffering we really DO experience seem questionable. If Sharp claims she has “damage to her nervous system” and it is proven to be false, how are we to be taken seriously when we talk about the real ailments caused by bed bugs?

I am not naive enough to not have expected this sort of thing. But it still bothers me and I can’t help but wish for honesty and justice, because those of us who are really suffering need all the help we can get.

8 Chris Novak February 13, 2007 at 4:30 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows the number of lawsuits filed for bedbug bites? I’m doing research on bedbugs in the hotel industry in the state of Indiana and this number would be powerful stuff.