Bed Bugs in NYC School System

by bugzinthehood on December 4, 2006 · 6 comments

in bed bugs, new york, tipping point

From New York Post, December 4, 2006. As of October 1, 2006, 34 kids at a variety of schools have been discovered transporting bed bugs

1 jessinchicago December 4, 2006 at 11:00 pm

This quote from the article is just so true:

Nellie Merced, mother of a first-grader at PS 150 in Long Island City, was mortified to learn from a reporter that there was a confirmed bedbug case at the school this fall.

“Something like that, we should know,” she said. “It’s the worst thing to get rid of.”

I agree. It is the worst thing to get rid of.

2 deb December 4, 2006 at 11:46 pm

I have been saying this for months…The schools have been complicit in the “cover-up”…but I knew it would have to come out…the lies are only helping to spread the bugs…the kids are going to be transporting the bugs via their backpacks and personel items..the entire school system is going to be under siege…deny it all they may…they will not be able to hide from the truth…Bedbugs are a communicable insect…spread from person to person..and unless our officials address this problem to the extent that is necessary…then they will get what they deserve……Chaos……

3 nobugsonme December 5, 2006 at 3:08 am

This is insane:

“There have been absolutely no infestations,” said the spokeswoman, Marge Feinberg. “There are one or two [bugs] in each case.”

Schools have to mail in a bug or there is not considered to be a problem. People can go months without seeing a bug. If they see one or two in one location, that is an infestation.

We used to get a letter when some kid in school had lice. Well, this is more communicable than lice– you don’t have to share a hat or comb or touch another student to catch their bed bugs.

I also found it offensive that it was assumed the bugs came into schools on childrens’ coats. Bedbugs can come from any number of sources, including teachers, principles, visitors, delivery trucks, cleaning people. The students can pick them up by sitting on a school or city bus or subway or park bench.

Someone who works at Fox News recently told others they were in the VIP sofa at Fox’s NYC studio. But we all know Rich people aren’t to blame! I guess that if bed bugs have made it into the elite private schools, that’s not going to make it into the Post.

4 deb December 5, 2006 at 10:06 am

The elite schools will do their best to keep it under wraps. But exposing the public schools is good for the fight. You are correct about the means of transporting them into the schools. They can be coming from staff, visitors , buses etc. but the main focus is that they will be found in any place where large congregations of people can be found on a regular basis, Like a School !! Esp. elementary schools because the younger children will be less likely to recognize them or report them. I predicted this…its going to create chaos…Who will send their children to school knowing that no preventative measures are being taken. These bugs are MUCH WORSE than head lice !! The government thinks if it ignores this it will go away, well we are know what happens when you ignore bedbugs !!!

5 michelle March 15, 2007 at 8:08 pm

i have them in my class and my principal is trying to talk me into believing they are fleas! Parents should be outraged!

6 nobugsonme March 15, 2007 at 11:45 pm

I hope you can get some samples, Michelle. They should not make you do this before treating, bu I hope you can. Let us know how we can help. The union needs to organize around this issue.