Attention Christmas shoppers, take a look at our new line of products

by bugzinthehood on December 4, 2006 · 25 comments

in bed bugs, consumers, tipping point

They’re here – that is, the retailers. They’re out of the closet and in the showroom. Cuddledown, a purveyor of bedding and “Fine Home Fashions” is offering a new line of “Anti-Bedbug Protectors,” mattress, pillow covers, etc. Good News/Bad News. The good news, they are offering these bedroom accessories for what they really are, no euphemisms. The bad news, the bed bug infestations have grown so much nationally, they can offer these products for what they really are, no euphemisms.

(3/05/07: link removed to Cuddledown.)

1 jessinchicago December 4, 2006 at 10:53 pm

There are some SERIOUS problems with the way these products are advertised!
I received a Google alert for bed bugs and was directed to, which appears to be a news site for the state of Maine. In the business section, the above article on these “Anti-Bedbug Mattress and Pillow Protectors” is featured. Here is a snippet that scares the crap out of me:
“With the recent media focus on the rise of bed bugs in houses, apartments, and hotels, Cuddledown’s anti-bed bug mattress and pillow protectors provide a solution for consumers who want to eliminate the pests or protect against potential infestation.”
Hang on one second. Back up the bus. Can someone please explain to me how a person who has bed bugs in their, say, LIVING ROOM, like most of us with infestations do, is going to “eliminate” bed bugs with a mattress cover that kills bed bugs? Doesn’t it logically follow that if I have bed bugs in my couch and my computer chair, the bugs are actually feeding on me in those places and NOT MY BED? How, then, is my mattress cover going to eliminate my bed bugs?
But wait, folks, there’s more! The article goes on to state (cringe):
According to Cuddledown president and CEO Chris Bradley, “Now our customers have a way to get rid of a very nasty nuisance without harsh pesticides or other time-consuming, invasive measures.”
Once again, I would love to know how a mattress protector, whether it kills bed bugs or not, is going to eliminate the need for pesticides. Maybe the mattress protector emits magic chemicals that permeate your entire house while you sleep, and THAT’S how the infestation in your other rooms will be eliminated!
I think what this company means to say is that their new mattress and pillow protectors will kill the bed bugs that attempt to feed on you in your bed. At least that’s what they should be saying, anyway.

2 nobugsonme December 5, 2006 at 3:10 am

Yes, since bed bugs supposedly only feed on people in bed, how are they getting into those NYC public schools?!?

3 nobugsonme December 5, 2006 at 3:12 am

Oh and:

“You’ve heard the alarming stories of the re-emergence of bed bugs in the U.S. and reports of how difficult they are to eradicate. Finally, weve found a simple, natural solution! Our exclusive mattress pad and pillow protector are infused with a blend incorporating natural extracts that have been shown to kill bed bugs and dust mites in lab tests. Not just a barrier, these revolutionary covers actually eliminate bed bugs and dust mites from your home.”

They’re difficult to eradicate, and most people need 3-4 visits or more from a licensed PCO spraying all over the home, and yet an infusion of natural extracts will eliminate them? Hmpf.

4 deb December 5, 2006 at 9:59 am

Cuddledown should be sued for false advertising. My question is ..How were these products tested ????? In a lab or in an infested home or apt. ..Honesty only please !!

5 Joe March 3, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Of course a matress pad and pillows won’t eliminate bed bugs throughout your entire house. All Cuddledown claims is “…these revolutionary covers actually eliminate bed bugs and dust mites from your bed.” I’m really having trouble seeing how anyone would think this product eliminates the need for anti-bug measure in other parts of your home because it does not advertise to do so. Those of you who think they’re pushing a “magical” pad I would urge to read more carefully before you go on your next rant.

6 jessinchicago March 3, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Joe- Please click on the link I provided in my original comment, which will direct you to an article in The very first paragraph of that article says:

“Cuddledown, manufacturer, retailer, and wholesaler of down bedding and home accessories, has introduced a line of products to eradicate bed bugs. With the recent media focus on the rise of bed bugs in houses, apartments, and hotels, Cuddledown’s anti-bed bug mattress and pillow protectors provide a solution for consumers who want to eliminate the pests or protect against potential infestation.”

The first sentence says that Cuddledown has introduced a line of products to eradicate bedbugs. It doesn’t say “eradicate bedbugs in beds.” IT SAYS ERADICATE BEDBUGS. Period. The same paragraph goes on to say that the mattress protectors “provide a solution for consumers who want to eliminate the pests.”

The article actually directly quotes the CEO of Cuddledown purporting this same thing- see my comment- it’s right there in plain English.

Now, Joe, you probably don’t have bedbugs, and I know this because if you did, this article would piss you off, too. That’s because by the time you discover that you have bedbugs, chances are they are already in several other rooms in your home, and NO MATTRESS COVER is going to provide ANY kind of solution or eradication of your infestation, WHICH IS WORD FOR WORD what this article says.

It’s illegal to false advertise, Joe, and since Cuddledown isn’t providing people with the whole truth- i.e. “Our products will kill bedbugs that are in your bed” as opposed to “Our products will eliminate bedbugs”- they are essentially falsely advertising their mattress protectors.

We provide links for reasons here at Bedbugger- to support our opinions with hard facts so that we don’t come off looking like morons.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 bugzinthehood March 3, 2007 at 7:06 pm

I made the original post in December. I went to the Cuddledown website and emailed them about my concerns that their claims were way overstated. I directed them to our site. They have not responded

8 jessinchicago March 3, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Not surprised, but good to hear from you, anyway.

9 nobugsonme March 4, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Hey Bugz!
How’s life? Less itchy for your friend, I hope?

10 Joe March 4, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Well, it’s unfortunate the Cuddledown CEO has overstated what this product it capable of because it’s obviously receiving some bad press here. The bottom line is I have had this product for several months now, and it has lived up to my expectations. I have not been bitten in bed since getting the mattress pad and pillow covers. It is a natural solution that works 24/7 and lasts years as compared to having several visits from exterminators. There are still bugs elsewhere in my home, but not in my bed.

This is the only reason I ever opened my mouth in the first place: to advise others with the same problem on solutions that have worked for me.

11 nobugsonme March 4, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Hey Joe,
I read the Cuddledown info on their site (linked above). I am glad it is helping you, though it’s really common for bed bugs to be in bed frames, wall baseboards, floors, and sofas, so simply adding a mattress cover and pillowcase is almost never enough if people have bed bugs at home.

I was curious about the style of the pad, which is not clear from Cuddledown’s photo or description–could you describe it for us?

12 Joe March 5, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Sure. It’s just a pad, less than a centimeter thick that rests on top of your mattress. They sell them in different sizes for whatever size mattress. I have mine under my mattress cover so it doesn’t slip around when I change my linens. I suppose you could put it between the mattress and box spring if you didn’t want to have it on top, but I think it works better there because it’s like having a barrier between you and the rest of your bed.

13 S. March 5, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Hey Joe, thanks for this advice. However, I am still a bit unclear. You say that your pad is under your mattress cover – do you mean, inside an allergy-proof zippered mattress encasing? Like the kind many of us have? I’m just curious because that sounds like bugs wouldn’t touch it if they were OUTSIDE the encasing. Maybe any bugs INSIDE the encasing would walk across it, but those bugs are isolated anyway so they are effectively “not a problem.”

Do the natural extracts radiate out from inside the mattress cover, making the mattress cover also toxic to bedbugs? How does it work?

I am truly curious – I have often wondered why we couldn’t make mattress encasings or even sheets infused with insecticide (as terrible as that sounds!)

The Indika website not only claims its product kills bedbugs within 24-48 hours, it also claims it “prevents bed bug and dust mite reproduction.” What are these extracts – both a residual insecticide and a growth regulator in one? I am truly skeptical of this particular product. But if you could explain how you’ve personally experienced using pads like this to combat YOUR bedbug infestation, that would be great. 🙂

14 nobugsonme March 5, 2007 at 11:07 pm

HI Joe,
Actually, I asked because I was not clear on what this item is–how it’s designed, but I am now: it’s not going to kill bed bugs. Bed bugs can be enclosed in a completely zippered cover, but they can’t be killed by something shaped like a pad placed between mattresses or over one.

And even if they could, if you are completely enclosing your mattress in a zipped cover, what is being added here?

15 hopelessnomo' March 6, 2007 at 10:36 am

Ha, you guys are too polite! Way, way.

The press release contains this information:

“Infused with natural extracts:
o Lavender, lemon, eucalyptus and chrysanthemum
o Fiber treatment remains effective against bed bugs for up to five years (up to 10 years for dust mites) ”

It IS a magic blanket! And if Joe has bedbugs “elsewhere” in his home, just not in his bed mind, I’m fill-in-the-blank.

Please, we’re not the market for this crap, go make a buck off the fear of people who’ve never had bedbugs. Surely, it can’t take this long for them to figure this out.

16 Bugalina March 6, 2007 at 10:51 am

hopelessnomo…. I thank you for speaking the truth….Deb

17 Barb March 6, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Seems to me that it’s not the bed bugs that are the ones feeding on our blood … it’s the blood-sucking companies.

18 nobugsonme March 6, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Nomo hit it on the head.

For anyone out there who might be reading, there is no “way to get rid of [bed bugs] without harsh pesticides or other time-consuming, invasive measures” as per the article Nomo cites.

The exception, is heat. Professionals can apply 140 F to your home for 4+ hours and kill bed bugs and eggs. The fuel currently used is not legal in NYC, and probably some other places, but I expect this method to grow in the coming months. It’s expensive, but I think it is cheaper than endless rounds of pesticide warfare and the loss of stuff which can occur in the interim.

But besides heat, I am afraid you are stuck with harsh pesticides AND time-consuming and invasive measures.

And speaking of time-consuming, I am deleting the link to the seller of this, linked from the original post, since we don’t want to add to their sales or page rankings. I already deleted the link in Joe’s post to the other marketer. The curious can google.

19 hopelessnomo' March 6, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Small off topic note: one day a wise and enterprising inventor will make a nifty bedbug trap that we will all want in our homes, then we will be tender and sweet with any amateur viral marketers sent this way, promise! The bedbug business is good, just make a good product.

Hi Bugalina!

20 nobugsonme March 6, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Yeah, Nomo, we need a little contraption that lures the bugs in with C02 and heat, to a little death trap.

Note to do-it-yourselfers: homemade versions of same have not worked thus far.

21 Joe March 6, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Bed bugs hate chrysanthemum. It affects their nerv0us system, causes paralysis and death. Don’t believe me? You can find plenty of articles on Google Scholar on how chrysanthemum extract has been the primary ingrediant in insecticides for decades. Chrysanthemum kills and repels bed bugs, period. And that’s all the more I’ll have to say here.

Lemme know when the magic cure comes along…I’ll at least be sleeping well in the meantime.

22 nobugsonme March 6, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Joe, Chysanthemum is behind a certain class of pesticides. There’s no doubt in my mind the substances may be abhorrent to bed bugs. But even if it kills or repels them from the mattress, it is not enough to kill bed bugs not living on the mattress. Which is why PCO spray substances (including but not limited to chrysanthemum-derived pyrethrins or the synthetic pyrethroids) around entire homes. It is generally the case that PCOs must use multiple types of pesticides these days, one (eg pyrethrins) is not enough. And having them on the mattress, again, is not enough.

Speaking of killing things, I think this conversation is dead!

23 Shuaib April 24, 2007 at 1:55 pm

Pardon for bringing this back, but…
I think you’ll find that bed bugs need blood to survive, not just one, but the entire infestation is dependent on warm-blooded animals, such as humans or pets. They get the blood at night, when your sleeping, and assuming you sleep with these protective covers, they simply can’t get the blood they need, irrespective of where they are in the house they eventually die off, and their new-borns don’t develop…

That’s the point I would imagine… no food, no survival

24 bugzinthehood April 24, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Shuaib, yes, the covers will be good for those bugs in the mattress, but that’s only a small part of the hiding places, although the most obvious. The covers won’t stop them from hiding out in a wooden frame or headboard or anywhere else in the room unless our usual protocols are followed.

Unless of course you zip yourself into the protective covering each night, but that could be a bit cumbersome.

25 nobugsonme April 24, 2007 at 3:19 pm

HI Shuaib,
Bugz is right–it’s a nice idea, but bed bugs don’t only live in mattresses anymore. You might want to read our FAQS on bed bugs (linked at top).