Used furniture may contain bed bugs

by nobugsonme on November 30, 2006 · 7 comments

in bed bugs, photos

Warning Thrift Shoppers

Originally uploaded by Rob Elliott.

Should be required on every wall inside and out in every location selling used furniture, on every alley wall where garbage is discarded.

Click image for a closer look at this photo by Rob Elliott!

1 Daybeds November 30, 2006 at 12:41 pm

That’s why it’s better to buy new beds. I can live with used dining room furniture. But with beds you never know what might be living in the wood and mattress.

2 nobugsonme November 30, 2006 at 2:38 pm

Yes– new beds are a no-brainer. Since you sell discount bedroom furniture, “Daybeds,” you have a vested interest in saying so. But readers should realize that bed bugs are happy to set up shop in very small cracks of wood furniture. Many people get them from secondhand tables, desks, dressers, boxes. And they can hide well, so “inspecting” items first is not foolproof.

And I hate to say it, but some new furniture also comes delivered with free bed bugs. How? Because many furniture suppliers offer to cart away your used mattress or sofa. If they do this, it’s in the same truck as the brand new items they’re delivering at the same time. Your new mattress might be right next to a used one with bed bugs. And thus many people get bed bugs from new items. Furniture companies should be forbidden from using this practice.

Daybeds, I sure hope Discount Bedroom Furniture is not delivered in this way, but since most major companies do it, I would not be surprised.

3 Wyse Buys Trading Inc. December 16, 2006 at 9:40 am

I agree that bed bugs are a great problem,however as a second hand furiture dealer and have been one for 20 years,if you are careful and aware there is no need to panic about buying used even beds!In 20 years we have not had 1 case of bed bugs in our store,we do matian proper pest control on the premsis,and we do not buy or put things in because they are cheap.We have always worked if we wouldn’t have it at home niether would you.Used furniture stores get a bad rap because like neighbour hoods a few things happen and everyone there is painted with the same brush.

4 nobugsonme December 16, 2006 at 12:18 pm

HI Wyse Buys,
Do you mean beds or mattresses?
In any case, you should be aware that the bed bug epidemic has only been gearing up for the last few years. I am not sure where you are, but you should learn more about bed bugs so you can recognize them. They can hide in crevices of furniture where they are difficult or even impossible to see. Even stores selling new items can get bed bugs, and it does not mean yours is a dirty store or selling bad or cheap merchandise. It’s easy to catch bed bugs and hard to catch or eliminate them.
Good luck!

5 joanie July 26, 2008 at 2:20 pm

even used photons i got at a yard sale

6 l.j. kells May 31, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Last week I was packed and ready to head to las vegas when I looked at my luggage in the front seat of my car I saw a little light bug crawling on it. After that I checked my bag and saw there was a lot of this around the zipper and crevice of my side pouches… I thought maybe it was something I’d had for a while. Until I spent the night at my parents house and I woke up in the middle of the night to something crawling on my face.. But, I was on the floor, so I assumed it was an ant or something I woke all the way up and found it…I knew it was a bed bug because it was dark red. Then it hit me after my sister moved back home my infant son had started getting what looked like mosquito bites but I never saw the bugs…Now I realize what it’s been the WHOLE time…My mom doesn’t have enough money to afford an exterminator so does anyone know what she should do about them… I think they are only contained to the front of the house because that’s the only place we’ve seen them, is there ANYTHING besides hiring a professional that’s affective????

7 nobugsonme June 1, 2010 at 4:51 pm

There are other red pests you may be seeing besides bed bugs (spider beetles, clover mites, running mites) and I would strongly encourage you to verify you have bed bugs. The photos here may help.

We don’t recommend self-treatment. It’s not that you can’t buy the same substances as a pest pro ( in many cases you can). It’s that treating bed bugs successfully is not just about buying something and spraying it. Knowledge of bed bugs, how to find them and kill them, is pretty complex stuff. Add on the need to know how to use but not overuse pesticides, so that you are safe and do not make bed bugs spread further, and this is a complex task.

Some people have had luck in self-treatment, including the use of steam, the careful use of diatomaceous earth (DE), and even pesticides. (More pest control FAQs here.)

On the other hand, people have also caused their bed bugs to be repelled (and therefore spread them) or have created hazardous conditions in their homes. You have to do the research to make sure you do this properly if you must do it.

Please note: if you are a renter, your landlord may be responsible for paying for treatment (we have a FAQ on that here, too).

Please come to the forums if you want to discuss this further (you may also repost your comment there). I am pretty much the only one who reads comments on old posts like this one, but the forums are full of support and advice.